Two Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Two Thoughts

Orangemen

All Conference
A lot of us wonder why JB doesn't spend more time developing a bench during blow outs, I think today was the reason why.

The team is rolling, so he pulls Ennis out to get some run for MG. Suddenly the team is off track and a certain blow out is a tight game for the rest of the afternoon.

It's a scary sign for the team how much we rely on Ennis, but it's not really a surprise at this point.

Second, I think it's official that every team will hit multiple absolute no chance 3 point shots against us. I used to think it was just crazy luck, but it's gone way beyond that at this point. Every game guys hit 3 or 4 3's from 5 feet beyond the line, or some other ridiculous 3 that just makes no sense.

I guess it's good that they are forced to take these shots, but it's still really frustrating watching this crazy stuff happen every game.

I thought the same as your first point, but instead it popped into my head when Roberson was brought in

I'll have to see the tape again but a majority of those 3's were open looks around the NBA line. They weren't in the category of the 28 footers that Patterson made last week.

If you ever watch these kids in practice those three pointers go in like layups.

MG is a liability on offense. He can't create and he can't hit a jumper. More importantly, he does not understand that when he plays point he needs to play under control. He tends to force passes and shots, leading to run outs...

Robison has a huge upside but isn't quite there yet. He's less of a concern to me than MG. But still a liability this year.

If you ever watch these kids in practice those three pointers go in like layups.

This isn't practice. Most of those 99 footers are tough, contested shots. But I understand your point, these kids are ALL REALLY good...

MG is a liability on offense. He can't create and he can't hit a jumper. More importantly, he does not understand that when he plays point he needs to play under control. He tends to force passes and shots, leading to run outs...

Robison has a huge upside but isn't quite there yet. He's less of a concern to me than MG. But still a liability this year.
Remember that Silent G has been away from competation for a year and he is primarily a 2/3 not a pg. So that means he still is a little rusty. I think he is still trying to get his feet under himself. There have been flashs but we all know that JB`s competitive nature puts limits on guys. I do think that if there is a game where either TE or JC is in foul trouble G will do ok. He will make mistakes but probably not kill the team.

Remember that Silent G has been away from competation for a year and he is primarily a 2/3 not a pg. So that means he still is a little rusty. I think he is still trying to get his feet under himself. There have been flashs but we all know that JB`s competitive nature puts limits on guys. I do think that if there is a game where either TE or JC is in foul trouble G will do ok. He will make mistakes but probably not kill the team.

I agree with this a lot. Practice is not like games. MG will get better (just probably not too much better this year). If he can play within himself and not force things at the point, maintain the offensive flow, I'll be happy. I'll be ecstatic if he hits a couple of jump shots!

I agree with this a lot. Practice is not like games. MG will get better (just probably not too much better this year). If he can play within himself and not force things at the point, maintain the offensive flow, I'll be happy. I'll be ecstatic if he hits a couple of jump shots!
His defense has been pretty good most of the time and that is JBs first requirement. Also he is now probably the sub for Fair and Grant in the final minuets if they foul out.

A lot of us wonder why JB doesn't spend more time developing a bench during blow outs, I think today was the reason why.

The team is rolling, so he pulls Ennis out to get some run for MG. Suddenly the team is off track and a certain blow out is a tight game for the rest of the afternoon.

It's a scary sign for the team how much we rely on Ennis, but it's not really a surprise at this point.

Second, I think it's official that every team will hit multiple absolute no chance 3 point shots against us. I used to think it was just crazy luck, but it's gone way beyond that at this point. Every game guys hit 3 or 4 3's from 5 feet beyond the line, or some other ridiculous 3 that just makes no sense.

I guess it's good that they are forced to take these shots, but it's still really frustrating watching this crazy stuff happen every game.

The 3 point bombs have become really annoying. I understand that guys are going to hit shots, and that a zone (esp. one like ours) invites perimeter offense. But LR bombing is no longer a tactic or a play for a hot shooter -- it's a friggin lifestyle. We have the pick and roll, the 2-3 zone, man-2-man defense -- and now (I call it) the 34-chuck. Pass pass pass around the outside, dribble dribble dribble, waste time, look at the coach, waive to someone in the stands and ... ooops it's 34 seconds ... time to jack one. OMG... it went in (zzzzzz). Nothing worse to watch than stall-ball.

I can understand this from the mid-majors. They can't score inside against us. So it wasn't much of a surprise from Fordam (Frazier 4-6), Colgate (Tillotson 3-4, Jacobs 3-6)) or St. Francis (Mockford 3-6). We also expected the 34-chuck from VU -- they basically run 4 guards and a big (Bell went 6-12 from 3). But 6 games in, except for UNC (they have some pride) stall ball/34-chuck has been the default style in league play. We saw it all game ... from BC (Jackson 6-9), twice from UM (Brown 3-5, Reed 3-4), V-tech ... etcetera ad nauseam. Even Pitt went to it in the second half to get back in the game (Patterson 3 in a row from Toledo within 64 seconds).

For my money, it's a boring, desperate strategy that's starting to ruin college hoops, as it did college LAX (before they did something).

24 second shot clock, please.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom