Tyler Ennis DraftExpress Scouting Report/Video | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis DraftExpress Scouting Report/Video

Thorough breakdown. Weaknesses include...

1. Athleticism - "Not a great athlete in terms of quickness and explosiveness. Below the rim finisher. Not a leaper by any means. Gets by on handle, timing, and smarts but lacks first step. Struggles beating guys off the dribble. What will happen in NBA?"

a. Isolations - "Struggles beating man off the dribble, doesn't have a quick first step, isn't very shifty, forced to use off arm to create space."

b. Getting to the Rim - "Lacks the burst to get all the way to the rim when his defender is on his hip. Forced to stop short and throw up low percentage floaters."

c. Below the Rim - "Doesn't get off the ground very well. Below the rim finisher."​

2. Finishing Ability - "Really struggles to score consistently inside the arc. 14.5 points per 40 mins and 42.9 two-point percentage, second-worst among DX 100 PG's. Made only 42% of floaters and at the rim shots. Weak off hand. Avoids contact - 4.9 FTA's per 40 mins. Shot 60 floaters (made 28%)."

a. Avoiding Contact - "Shoots floaters to avoid contact. Doesn't attack the body of bigs."

b. Struggling with Contact - "Doesn't have the strongest build. Doesn't finish through contact well."

c. Off Hand - "Proven capable with his left but doesn't want to use it often."​

3. On-Ball Defense - "Has good anticipation but isn't very quick laterally. Unable to develop man-to-man D because of the Syracuse zone. Struggled defensively in 2013 FIBA U19's for Canada. Must be a smart space defender to get by. Length helps."

Doesn't sound like a one-and-done lottery pick to me but I hope it works out for him.

orangenirvana said:
Thorough breakdown. Weaknesses include... 1. Athleticism - "Not a great athlete in terms of quickness and explosiveness. Below the rim finisher. Not a leaper by any means. Gets by on handle, timing, and smarts but lacks first step. Struggles beating guys off the dribble. What will happen in NBA?" a. Isolations - "Struggles beating man off the dribble, doesn't have a quick first step, isn't very shifty, forced to use off arm to create space." b. Getting to the Rim - "Lacks the burst to get all the way to the rim when his defender is on his hip. Forced to stop short and throw up low percentage floaters." c. Below the Rim - "Doesn't get off the ground very well. Below the rim finisher." 2. Finishing Ability - "Really struggles to score consistently inside the arc. 14.5 points per 40 mins and 42.9 two-point percentage, second-worst among DX 100 PG's. Made only 42% of floaters and at the rim shots. Weak off hand. Avoids contact - 4.9 FTA's per 40 mins. Shot 60 floaters (made 28%)." a. Avoiding Contact - "Shoots floaters to avoid contact. Doesn't attack the body of bigs." b. Struggling with Contact - "Doesn't have the strongest build. Doesn't finish through contact well." c. Off Hand - "Proven capable with his left but doesn't want to use it often." 3. On-Ball Defense - "Has good anticipation but isn't very quick laterally. Unable to develop man-to-man D because of the Syracuse zone. Struggled defensively in 2013 FIBA U19's for Canada. Must be a smart space defender to get by. Length helps." Doesn't sound like a one-and-done lottery pick to me but I hope it works out for him.

I didn't need an NBA scout to tell me that. Noticed every one of those weaknesses.

My question is if you are an NBA GM what 5 pg's would you draft before Ennis? Everyone has flaws. Marcus Smart is a bit of a headcase and turnover prone. Dante Exum has yet to prove anything against decent competition. Alfrid Payton (who i feel has the highest NBA potential) has strength issues as well, and not a great shooter. Kyle Anderson nobody knows what position he plays. Zach Lavine who i also like has more question marks as Ennis. Nappier is a miniature shoot first pg.

Again my challenge name 5 pg's you would draft ahead of Ennis if you are a GM? Everyone is flawed in this day and age of early entries. There are no such thing as finished products

My question is if you are an NBA GM what 5 pg's would you draft before Ennis? Everyone has flaws. Marcus Smart is a bit of a headcase and turnover prone. Dante Exum has yet to prove anything against decent competition. Alfrid Payton (who i feel has the highest NBA potential) has strength issues as well, and not a great shooter. Kyle Anderson nobody knows what position he plays. Zach Lavine who i also like has more question marks as Ennis. Nappier is a miniature shoot first pg.

Again my challenge name 5 pg's you would draft ahead of Ennis if you are a GM? Everyone is flawed in this day and age of early entries. There are no such thing as finished products

This isn't the year to draft a PG in the lottery unless his name is Exum or Smart. Otherwise, I'd much rather pass on Ennis and get a guy like Napier, Micic, Payton, or Burton in the 2nd round and use my late lottery pick on a better prospect at a different position.

Add jump shot to weakness..he isn't going to be able to hit over a 28-30% clip from the pro three point line... He doesn't have a great pull-up game. He is one saavy player though which is really unique... Looking forward to see what ennis does.. I think he won't do much, but hey, MCW proved me a little wrong this year

Frankly, this report says, "He's not good enough to play point in the NBA". But what do I know...

Would coming back for another year help him improve on any of those weaknesses? He over achieved this year, so maybe his stock will never be higher.

And Jb

JB said he wasn't ready physically to play in the NBA next year. So when did Boeheim ever say that?

I really don't understand this. Basically everyone is pointing to needing to come back because he isn't physically ready otherwise it sounds like he would never be able to play in the league. So what happens a year goes by would he be able to declare next year in everyones eyes? What's the difference between 1 year. He is hardly making the wrong decision.

JB said he wasn't ready physically to play in the NBA next year. So when did Boeheim ever say that?

I really don't understand this. Basically everyone is pointing to needing to come back because he isn't physically ready otherwise it sounds like he would never be able to play in the league. So what happens a year goes by would he be able to declare next year in everyones eyes? What's the difference between 1 year. He is hardly making the wrong decision.

If Boeheim doesn' think he is ready that is good enough for me. One year can be crucial in the development of a player, several players make that leap from freshman year to their soph year.

Briancuse said:
If Boeheim doesn' think he is ready that is good enough for me. One year can be crucial in the development of a player, several players make that leap from freshman year to their soph year.
JB is a HOF college coach. He isn't jack squat as an NBA GM. I love JB, but his word isn't gospel in terms of this. Amazingly people actually get to develop in the NBA and get a seven figure salary. Everyone is acting like you shouldn't go pro unless you are a guaranteed superstar.

"Has good anticipation but isn't very quick laterally"

Bingo. Saw it all year. Allowed way to much penetration into the lane that led to kickouts or the forcing of Rak to step up, often leading to fouls or offensive boards for the opponent. I said that from way early on last season.

GoHamSU said:
"Has good anticipation but isn't very quick laterally" Bingo. Saw it all year. Allowed way to much penetration into the lane that led to kickouts or the forcing of Rak to step up, often leading to fouls or offensive boards for the opponent. I said that from way early on last season.

And staying in the zone another year is going to help him?

JB is a HOF college coach. He isn't jack squat as an NBA GM. I love JB, but his word isn't gospel in terms of this. Amazingly people actually get to develop in the NBA and get a seven figure salary. Everyone is acting like you shouldn't go pro unless you are a guaranteed superstar.
Then what's the point of ever staying in school more than one year?

Boeheim said he isn't physically ready.

How many selections is Coach making in this draft?

Is he better than delonte west?

With how badly some of you are dogging Ennis, not only should he not go pro, he should probably transfer to Canisius.

Just a short time ago many here were arguing if Ennis was the best freshman in the country including having a better year than Parker.

Ahhh, those were the days.

Just a short time ago many here were arguing if Ennis was the best freshman in the country including having a better year than Parker.

Ahhh, those were the days.

Give Ennis credit, he masked his flaws pretty well.