Typical JB teams are fully developed by Thanksgiving. I am glad this team isn't | Syracusefan.com

Typical JB teams are fully developed by Thanksgiving. I am glad this team isn't

Alsacs

Living Legend
It can develop and get better during conference play. Usually we know by now the max potential of the team and they play well now and have the swoon in January/February. I really want to see Battle develop.

We have a lot of new players and the rotation could actually be a thing in progress this year. JB typically has 7.5 man rotation known. I am not sure he knows it this year yet. As Roberson was put on the bench.

I don't think this team can win a NC but as long as it improves we can hope.

Developed? I'd just be OK with average at this point.

Well, to the OP's point--this team has a LOT of room to improve.

But that's not necessarily a good thing. Potential doesn't amount to anything unless it gets actualized.

But I'm encouraged by the lineup adjustment.

Whaddayawant . . . this team may have talent, but its two seniors (DC and Robo) aren't exactly firebrands (think Scoop, Jonny, Devo, Sherman). It may have floor experience (III-pt. and Gillon), but it isn't SU experience. It may have future NBAers (Battle and TT), but those two are frosh feeling their way with JB and the system. They have height without experience (Chukwu), and a rising star without a resolved position (Lydon). Anyone who thinks that package won't need a lot of time to gel must be smokin' somethin' powerful. Just hope the team doesn't get buried too far in the ACC standings before they catch fire and the tournament committee's eye. I rest my hopes on last year's team . . . it can be done.-VBOF

It can develop and get better during conference play. Usually we know by now the max potential of the team and they play well now and have the swoon in January/February. I really want to see Battle develop.

We have a lot of new players and the rotation could actually be a thing in progress this year. JB typically has 7.5 man rotation known. I am not sure he knows it this year yet. As Roberson was put on the bench.

I don't think this team can win a NC but as long as it improves we can hope.
There were parts of the game when I actually thought the defense looked more committed/aggressive/passionate than we had in previous games. And then some scrub started launching deep threes and we didn't seem so passionate about stopping him...

I agree with the OP. The defense stinks and will get better. I'm very optimistic Lydon will play better and Roberson will not be this bad.

Well, to the OP's point--this team has a LOT of room to improve.

But that's not necessarily a good thing. Potential doesn't amount to anything unless it gets actualized.

But I'm encouraged by the lineup adjustment.
With all the new faces, this team is learning how to play JB's zone on the fly. They will get better, particularly as Howard and Battle settle in at the top. But right now, solid teams can torch this defense inside and outside.

Defensive rebounding is a concern, as usual, but particularly so if they can't count on much from Roberson. Without improvement here, transition scoring opportunities will be hard to come by.

More troubling is the poor offensive rebounding I'm seeing from this group. Historically, SU has been strong in this area, and this has helped make up for some deficiencies in the half court offense. I'll cross my fingers here and hope a few guys are able to step up.

A few more things about the offense...

To date, the offensive production from the guards (Howard, Battle, Gillon) has been outstanding in terms of shooting percentages and advanced metrics like PER, TS% and eFG%. However, I would not expect this to continue into conference play, given how the offense sputtered against South Carolina and Wisconsin. I do think Howard and Battle will turn out to be better deep shooters than I imagined, but the key to their long term effectiveness as scorers will be how consistently they are able to score at the rim.

Another area of concern for me is how infrequently this team is getting to the line. Last year Gbinije and Richardson were adept at drawing contact. So far, I'm not seeing this from any of the guards. Of the post players, Coleman seems like the guy who might be able get to the line with some frequency. Perhaps that will happen now that JB seems intent on making him an integral part of the half court offense.

2016-17 Syracuse Orange Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I'm done trying to figure out a JB team before March. It goes to the extreme one way or the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom