Tyus Battle - first round potential pick - opinion | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle - first round potential pick - opinion

We don't know yet. (Captain Obvious, here.)
If he plays like last year, then he's a little short.
Him going in the first round is predicated on him making the sophomore jump that we expect, both from him maturing as a player, and having a more prominent role in the offense.

I just hope he gets a flu shot before the season starts. I am fine with him taking 10+ shots per game and playing 25+ minutes per game. Hopefully TT, FH, Thorpe, and the freshmen do enough on offense so other teams are not just face-guarding/double-teaming Battle the entire game.

He has the protypical size and athleticism of an NBA 2, and displayed the requisite offensive and defensive skills at times as a freshman. Given good health and moderate improvement, he has a great chance to be a solid first round pick.

Tyus has the proto-typical NBA size & body for a 2G.

Obviously, as others have said above he needs to make the freshman to sophomore jump in terms of improvement.

In looking at both his game and himself, I think he has two major limitations:

1. Though he is more than athletic enough at the college level, I think he lacks the explosive first step and overall NBA level 2G athleticism.

2. Though he he shot a decent percentage from afar, I think his shooting form looks a bit funky. Not sure it will translate well to NBA distance.

All in all, I see his NBA upside as end of the first round, but more likely second round.

Givony just posted his first 2018 mock for ESPN. Its 2 rounds and Tyus was a 1st rounder and no other Cuse player was listed in the top 60.

28. Boston Celtics
i

Tyus Battle
Syracuse
Sophomore
SG

i

A solid-sized wing with a frame that will fill out nicely in time, Battle has some untapped potential athletically. He made 37 percent of his 3s as a freshman, but he struggles to create his own shot in the half court. He also doesn't have great awareness defensively.

The bigger question for me is, Where is Tyler's head at with regard to going pro?

Is he one of those guys that is going after this year whether he is and NBA 1st rounder or going to Europe or is he only leaving if he is highly likely to be in the 1st round?

Givony just posted his first 2018 mock for ESPN. Its 2 rounds and Tyus was a 1st rounder and no other Cuse player was listed in the top 60.
A solid-sized wing with a frame that will fill out nicely in time, Battle has some untapped potential athletically. He made 37 percent of his 3s as a freshman, but he struggles to create his own shot in the half court. He also doesn't have great awareness defensively.

I hope the comment about his defensive awareness makes him mad as heck so him comes out determined to be the best defender.

I hope the comment about his defensive awareness makes him mad as heck so him comes out determined to be the best defender.
He seems to be a pretty focused and driven kid who probably doesn't need an article like this to be motivated to improve.

He seems to be a pretty focused and driven kid who probably doesn't need an article like this to be motivated to improve.

I never meant to imply that he wasn't. I was just thinking that he might be extra motivated upon hearing the criticism.

I don't think there is much question that he'll go in the first round. It's at least much more likely than not.

The real question is whether or not he's a lotto pick. He has the size and athleticism. He has the ballhandling and vision. He has the shot. And that off-the-bounce step-back (more like hop-to-the-right) jumper of his is nearly unguardable. Health is the only question mark because he has the reoccurring foot thing.

I don't think there is much question that he'll go in the first round. It's at least much more likely than not.

The real question is whether or not he's a lotto pick. He has the size and athleticism. He has the ballhandling and vision. He has the shot. And that off-the-bounce step-back (more like hop-to-the-right) jumper of his is nearly unguardable. Health is the only question mark because he has the reoccurring foot thing.

Spot on and like you said the only thing that worries me is his foot injury past

I don't agree that he struggles to create his own shot either. He didn't do much of it early in the year. Maybe that's when this guy watched him?

He was creating his own shot and scoring at will in our biggest wins against Duke and Virginia.

I don't agree that he struggles to create his own shot either. He didn't do much of it early in the year. Maybe that's when this guy watched him?

He was creating his own shot and scoring at will in our biggest wins against Duke and Virginia.
I agree. I think that he is going to really show his complete game offensively and be incredibly active defensively. He is the an this year, and he knows it. Huge opportunity for Tyus and he is more than ready to take advantage of it.

He might be one of the most complete players we have had in a long time. (Since maybe Melo?) I think if he struggles this year, if there are no other scorers that step up, and defenses focus on him, that he is still a late first rounder. Yes his shooting form looks a tad jerky, but he can still shoot plenty well enough (didn't stop the Lakers from taking Lonzo - that thing he calls a jumper is hideous...maybe it'll work for him). If he makes the strides we are all assuming he will, then he ends up in the lottery.

And whoever posted that he doesn't have the first step athleticism, isn't seeing the same player I am I guess. When he finally decided he wanted to take the ball all the way to hoop, by the end of the season, he was getting there. Also opened up his jumpshot a lot.(Duke and Virginia)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom