Tyus Battle Improvement | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle Improvement

This is a guy you can have a team jump on his back and win a title at this point, best part is he isn't going to have to handle a load like that or anything like last year.

This is the most excited I've been for a season since 2012.

I'm most encouraged by the two areas that Boeheim said he improved. Shooting and ball handling were two thing I thought could really help his game. If he comes in and is solid 3 point shooter with improved ball handling it will be interesting to see how high he moves up draft boards.

I think he's going to benefit a lot from simply not going to have to go 40 every game (plus getting pushed in practice).

He's going to average 35 minutes a game regardless who's on the team. JB does what JB does. Unless we're blowing somebody out he's going to be out there.

He's going to average 35 minutes a game regardless who's on the team. JB does what JB does. Unless we're blowing somebody out he's going to be out there.

He averaged 39 mins a game last year so 35 I think would be his sweet spot. We don't want him or Frank averaging what they did last year.

He averaged 39 mins a game last year so 35 I think would be his sweet spot. We don't want him or Frank averaging what they did last year.

I'm guessing Frank should be around 30-32, Battle 35 or so. I know Carey should get some major minutes but it doesn't look good honestly, unless Battle gets some play at the 3 or Frank gets cut drastically..

I'm guessing Frank should be around 30-32, Battle 35 or so. I know Carey should get some major minutes but it doesn't look good honestly, unless Battle gets some play at the 3 or Frank gets cut drastically..

I don't think JB even knows minutes at this point. Pre-ACC games will be very important to players below the starting five and possibly even some starters.

24 days until the first exhibition game! Wooooooooooooo!

I don't think JB even knows minutes at this point. Pre-ACC games will be very important to players below the starting five and possibly even some starters.

He may say he doesn't know but 40 years of history with upper classman in the backcourt tells enough.

He may say he doesn't know but 40 years of history with upper classman in the backcourt tells enough.
No question that Frank and Tyus are his horses, but how much Carey or Buddy gets to play may start to be determined before the ACC schedule.
Right now I visualize Buddy as "shooter as needed."

yeah if he's smoothed out that stroke just a touch, able to go left off the bounce now and then, and able/willing to spot and hit open teammates more often... look the f out

I agree with all of this, but I'm wondering who the last SU player was to improve with his off-hand so late in his college career? Can't think of anybody off the top of my head.

On one hand I'm excited to see Battle's improvement. He's already the most exciting SU player off the bounce since at least Waiters. But on the other hand maybe I ought to settle for more minor efficiency improvements. Historically it seems like the rare Devendorf types come in with a refined set of skills but there are a million C.J. Fairs who we're still hoping can develop that off-hand.

Not much doubt Tyus will play a lot. But the JB-is-JB fomula (playing veterans) isn't axiomatic. It didn't apply back in 2012 (the year you mentioned) because we had depth. Joseph was the only one over 30 mpg. This year we have at least 3 guys that can play substantial minutes - Sid, Hughes and Carey. So I think you'll see some rest for the starting guards, center and forwards at some point in each half. My guess is mid 30's mpg for Tyus and Oshae. Low 30's for Frank and high 20's for Chewy.

Last edited:
I’m sure Battle has improved, but I think other guys have more room to improve. Brissett and Dolezaj specifically.
In general, I agree with you. But, when you're as talented as Tyus, and on the floor as much, even incremental improvements can pay huge dividends.

Not much doubt Tyus will play a lot. But the JB-is-JB fomula (playing veterans) isn't axiomatic. It didn't apply back in 2012 (the year you mentioned) because we had depth. Joseph was the only one over 30 mpg. This year we have at least 3 guys that can play substantial minutes - Sid, Hughes and Carey. So I think you'll see some rest for the starting guards, center and forwards at some point in each half. My guess is mid 30's mpg for Tyus and Oshae. Low 30's for Frank and high 20's for Chewy.

I agree with most of this... But I don't see high 20's for Chewy... marek will play some at the 5... Our best offensive line-up

I agree with most of this... But I don't see high 20's for Chewy... marek will play some at the 5... Our best offensive line-up

I don't think we will see much of MD at the 5 as long as Sidibe is good to go. Remember, he has a pretty good offensive skill set. And PC is a game changer on defense so JB is probably more comfortable leaving him on the floor even if he is limited offensively. If Bama has recovered his bounce from the off season surgery, I think we'll see him playing quite a bit and there won't be a need for MD to play the 5.

Marginally better offensively, as MD is not a volume scorer by any means (though improving). And there's a pretty substantial hit on D/rebounding since he's an even stringier string-bean than Chewy. We'll see. Sid's health - recovery from surgery - was a factor in my estimate.

I agree with all of this, but I'm wondering who the last SU player was to improve with his off-hand so late in his college career? Can't think of anybody off the top of my head.

On one hand I'm excited to see Battle's improvement. He's already the most exciting SU player off the bounce since at least Waiters. But on the other hand maybe I ought to settle for more minor efficiency improvements. Historically it seems like the rare Devendorf types come in with a refined set of skills but there are a million C.J. Fairs who we're still hoping can develop that off-hand.

Rak with his left hand was equally as devastating in his final season. But I know you meant off the bounce.

I’d like a Gbinije like senior season from Battle. He was much more efficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom