Tyus Battle's jump shooting form... | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle's jump shooting form...

he has a hitch in the shot, it was worse by my estimation in the first half when he was missing. his motion seemed to get smoother in the second half and he started making. but he has a hitch.

It is definitely unique. One thing I like about it though is it is a high release and very difficult to block. Last night's game may have been the real coming out party. He is starting to realize that he is now very hard to stop at the college level and the game is slowing down for him even as he is the focal point.

It's gotten worse over the summer, I've thought. Small sample, but SWC's 2017 clip gives a little support to that. "Leggy" is one description, and it's drifted to that extreme this year. The hitch is also the same it's always been.

I remember one of Seth Davis's (awesome) draft previews from years ago in which an NBA scout called Eric Devendorf's shot "the worst [he'd] ever seen." Hyperbole, I assume. Anyway, at some point, who cares? He's in college and enough of his shots go in that nobody's complaining. That's the goal, after all.

If Battle sends 37% of his through the hoop again this season, he can keep the hitch and let it be someone else's problem in a year or two.

His hitch propels him further in the air which makes his shot harder to block when it is released at the top of the jump.

the hitch is def more pronounced in his catch-and-shoot 3s - when off the dribble it's a smoother release

It's almost like he's trying to hang in the air or something. It is a very pronounced hitch, as orangehomer said. He almost double clutches. I'm wondering if this will affect his draft stock. I guess if it goes in it goes in but scouts like good form too.

Last edited:
The key to consistent, accurate shooting is repeatability of the shot mechanics.

The reason the standard shooting approach is so popular is because it is simple and therefore more easily prepeatable. When you miss a few, you can go back and adjust your mechanics. (You see pitchers with this problem all the time)

Years ago they did a study of the most accurate shooters in the NBA and compared their shot mechanics to the most erratic shooters.

They discovered that the elbow position of the best shooters never varied by more than a couple of degrees. The most erratic or streaky shooters had elbow positions that varied by a lot (10, 20 or 30 degrees - I forget the exact number)

You can have a hitch in your shot. What you can't do is have variation from shot-to-shot attempt.

The key to consistent, accurate shooting is repeatability of the shot mechanics.

The reason the standard shooting approach is so popular is because it is simple and therefore more easily prepeatable. When you miss a few, you can go back and adjust your mechanics. (You see pitchers with this problem all the time)

Years ago they did a study of the most accurate shooters in the NBA and compared their shot mechanics to the most erratic shooters.

They discovered that the elbow position of the best shooters never varied by more than a couple of degrees. The most erratic or streaky shooters had elbow positions that varied by a lot (10, 20 or 30 degrees - I forget the exact number)

You can have a hitch in your shot. What you can't do is have variation from shot-to-shot attempt.

This. Awkward form, or a hitch, is fine if you always have it. Where a hitch is a problem (usually noticed at the FT line) is when a shooter with a previously smooth stroke develops one. As long as you can release the ball quickly or high, or both, preferably, then you're fine if you can repeat the motion. If you shoot 37% from deep, then that's probably indicative of the ability to repeat your motion with some consistency.

Ray Allen flicked the ball with the thumb on his left 'guide' hand. That's usually a big no-no but he got it to work for him.

A little Dick Barnett in his shot...a right handed version.

barnett.jpg

Kind of like how Charles Barkley's golf swing adds more distance to his drives?

Why take the club back and then pause on you way down? Why not just take it back to the point of the pause and go from there?

Why take the club back and then pause on you way down? Why not just take it back to the point of the pause and go from there?

There's a lot more problems with Charles's swing than the "hitch". Watch his head.

It looks different because he actually shoots a jump shot where most players shoot half a push shot. He’s as good a shooter off the dribble and getting into the lane than I can remember at SU. His one hand floater is also very good. His step back is almost unguardable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom