UConn has a Calhoun problem: A coach who needs to retire, but won't | Syracusefan.com

UConn has a Calhoun problem: A coach who needs to retire, but won't

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Gregg Doyel

So it's like I said: UConn has a Jim Calhoun problem. Question is, has UConn learned anything from the football programs at Penn State and Florida State, which demonstrated the wrong way to deal with a coaching legend in his final years? We'll see. And we should see fairly soon, given that Calhoun's contract expires in two years.
Last week Calhoun fired a preemptive shot at his bosses, telling Marlen Garcia of USA Today, "Given the past 26 years, I don't need an extension."

Chew on that for a minute. Let it settle into your stomach like a bit of bad beef. I promise you that's the effect that statement had on Calhoun's bosses.

"Given the past 26 years, I don't need an extension."

That's the kind of thing Joe Paterno used to say at Penn State. As his age crept into the upper 70s and his program endured four losing seasons in five years, Paterno dismissed talk of retirement and the silly idea that Penn State might actually have a say in the matter. The program turned around even as Paterno was forced to coach some games from the press box and miss others entirely, but there were issues off the field -- and I'm not talking about former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.

I get the point, but something about journalists telling other people when they should retire always rubs me the wrong way.

Plus, Doyle is a douche.

Except calhoun can still coach. Bowden and Paterno couldn't. Doyel is a fool.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

well at least he isn't bad mouthing JB. I hope I didn't jinx it.

The big question will be if he can still recruit.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

They both could Coach it was the Recruiting Gig that got them

JC goes to two Final Fours in last 3 years with one NC and he wants to push him out. Why? The guy has a medical problem. His coaching performance is still good. Who is Doyel to say when the guy should retire?

Doyel sounds like a less educated Gottlieb I didn't think that was possible.
Therefore he needs to talk about us more

Doyle is brutal. I only posted because i love to poke Uconn fans.

Wow, that's a heap on ignorance. Calhoun may not be a great guy- I don't like how he forces kids out of the program and they deserve not to be in the tourney next year- but, as a coach, he's the best...even as he's aging. Better than K. He's proven he's at the top of his game with the NC last year. Paterno's teams faded, for sure but, dang, Calhoun won last year. Should he retire for his health? That's a seperate issue and is up to Calhoun. I also believe that Penn State and Flor. State were still powerhouses as their coaches were in there late 60's and early 70's...still that's not even a point as Calhoun clearly is still a superb coach.

Meh. Doyle likes to hear himself talk and then defend when he slams people. Calhoun probably should get out now but let him go when he wants to go. He has earned that at least.

Come on guys, lets be honest here, Calhoun hasn't won a NC in almost 11 months.

The way he is holding onto this job just makes me sick.

I get the point, but something about journalists telling other people when they should retire always rubs me the wrong way.

Plus, Doyle is a douche.

They do it with professional athletes all the time. Why should coaches be held to a different standard ?

Please Uconn should hope Calhoun can coach another 10 year! We are set with Hopkins who I think will do a good job but I still fear the day JB retires. My who life as an SU fan its been JB

They do it with professional athletes all the time. Why should coaches be held to a different standard ?

Yeah, you'll notice I said "people" and not "coaches." I don't particularly like it when they do it with the athletes either. I get why they do it, and they're certainly entitled to their opinion. It just irks me. What gives them the right to proclaim through a public platform that another person should quit their job? That they should stop doing what they love to do? Chances are, they don't have enough facts or insight to make such a claim.

Yeah, you'll notice I said "people" and not "coaches." I don't particularly like it when they do it with the athletes either. I get why they do it, and they're certainly entitled to their opinion. It just irks me. What gives them the right to proclaim through a public platform that another person should quit their job? That they should stop doing what they love to do? Chances are, they don't have enough facts or insight to make such a claim.

Well, it's "quit or be fired" - you're leaving out the second part. People don't ordinarily ask, unless you're not doing your job as well as used to.

Doyel should retire and do something more befitting his skill set. Substitute hosting the Steve Wilkos show, cleaning septic tanks, or being a training dummy for police canine units. He is of no value as a writer, he's merely trying very hard to be a "shock journalist".