UCONN... hated everywhere | Syracusefan.com

UCONN... hated everywhere

Headmaster 9

2nd String
IMG_1604.JPG
Went to Tulane campus while on our LSU trip... first thing we saw in the bookstore

I'm not sure who to root against here. Tulane stole our basketball coach.

Actually, back in the day, my dad had a friendly relationship with Roy Danforth and I went to high school with his son. When Roy was directly asked by my dad about leaving Syracuse right after our '75 final four run, Roy said to paraphrase here as my memory is a little faded, "...you have got to be kidding me! THERE IS NO SNOW!, and THE WEATHER IS WARM! Besides, Syracuse doesn't realize who they have got on the bench right here. Jim Boeheim should be the one getting the credit for what's going on with the basketball team, not me, he is a phenomenal coach."

I am not sure there was ever heard more honest words spoken or larger smile of satisfaction than was on Roy's face that day. He was not only a very funny and engaging person, but not nearly appreciated enough for his integrity or honesty from my vantage point. For historical reference please check out his hysterically deadpanned answer at the NCAA Eastern Region sweet 16 game in 1975 when the NCAA pool reporter asked him about how he was planning to beat Dean Smith, Phil Ford and the vaunted North Carolina 4-corners offense. Remember that we were as large as underdog in that game as St. Bonaventure would have been had they been invited to the tourney, and good ole Roy deadpanned something like "well North Carolina would have to be ahead in order for it to work don't they!?!" The response was more outlandish in that day to the listeners nationwide, than Jim Mora, the NFL Saints coach when he just as surprisingly quipped...(keeping with the New Orleans theme here) "PLAYOFFS? DONT TALK ABOUT PLAYOFFS! PLAYOFFS?! YOU KIDDING ME?! PLAYOFFS?

I have no doubt, that while for decades many have ridiculously called for Jim's scalp with little or no merit, if it was not for Roy Danforth and then Tulane, we would not had HCJB. Roy was ecstatic to leave Syracuse and despite SU's and the communities initial trepidation in hiring an allegedly unproven assistant, Jim Boeheim was hired and the rest is history.

Tulane merely put out a feeler for a hot tourney coach just like USC did to get the Florida Gulf Coast coach Andy Enfield a few years ago in 2013. who upset the hated #2 NCAA seed Georgetown Hoyas a few years back in April. That victory was so enjoyable, it may prove to be one of my favorite wins ever! LOL!

Roy was so pleased to be offered the job at Tulane in the city of New Orleans, that I believe instead of Tulane stealing Roy Danforth it should be the other way around...Roy Danforth stole Tulane University and the city of New Orleans while history has proven this out! Therefore, I love Tulane University! It was a win win for everyone except maybe Tulane in the log run. So I thank Tulane University and Roy Danforth for their contribution to the history of the Syracuse Orangemen. While Roy was a great guy, we got the great steal in this one. James Arthur Boeheim, the winningest coach at one university in the entire history of NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball! LGO!

Actually, back in the day, my dad had a friendly relationship with Roy Danforth and I went to high school with his son. When Roy was directly asked by my dad about leaving Syracuse right after our '75 final four run, Roy said to paraphrase here as my memory is a little faded, "...you have got to be kidding me! THERE IS NO SNOW!, and THE WEATHER IS WARM! Besides, Syracuse doesn't realize who they have got on the bench right here. Jim Boeheim should be the one getting the credit for what's going on with the basketball team, not me, he is a phenomenal coach."

I am not sure there was ever heard more honest words spoken or larger smile of satisfaction than was on Roy's face that day. He was not only a very funny and engaging person, but not nearly appreciated enough for his integrity or honesty from my vantage point. For historical reference please check out his hysterically deadpanned answer at the NCAA Eastern Region sweet 16 game in 1975 when the NCAA pool reporter asked him about how he was planning to beat Dean Smith, Phil Ford and the vaunted North Carolina 4-corners offense. Remember that we were as large as underdog in that game as St. Bonaventure would have been had they been invited to the tourney, and good ole Roy deadpanned something like "well North Carolina would have to be ahead in order for it to work don't they!?!" The response was more outlandish in that day to the listeners nationwide, than Jim Mora, the NFL Saints coach when he just as surprisingly quipped...(keeping with the New Orleans theme here) "PLAYOFFS? DONT TALK ABOUT PLAYOFFS! PLAYOFFS?! YOU KIDDING ME?! PLAYOFFS?

I have no doubt, that while for decades many have ridiculously called for Jim's scalp with little or no merit, if it was not for Roy Danforth and then Tulane, we would not had HCJB. Roy was ecstatic to leave Syracuse and despite SU's and the communities initial trepidation in hiring an allegedly unproven assistant, Jim Boeheim was hired and the rest is history.

Tulane merely put out a feeler for a hot tourney coach just like USC did to get the Florida Gulf Coast coach Andy Enfield a few years ago in 2013. who upset the hated #2 NCAA seed Georgetown Hoyas a few years back in April. That victory was so enjoyable, it may prove to be one of my favorite wins ever! LOL!

Roy was so pleased to be offered the job at Tulane in the city of New Orleans, that I believe instead of Tulane stealing Roy Danforth it should be the other way around...Roy Danforth stole Tulane University and the city of New Orleans while history has proven this out! Therefore, I love Tulane University! It was a win win for everyone except maybe Tulane in the log run. So I thank Tulane University and Roy Danforth for their contribution to the history of the Syracuse Orangemen. While Roy was a great guy, we got the great steal in this one. James Arthur Boeheim, the winningest coach at one university in the entire history of NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball! LGO!
Roy left afer the '76 season. Not '75. But everything else is spot on.

Nice. Thank you for sharing!

Well Jim Mora was coach of the Colts, not the Saints, when he made his "playoffs" rant.

But EVERYTHING ELSE is spot on.
I knew that but I didn't want to be debbie downer

Thanks for sharing. I love posts like this. I was just making a joke. I mean obviously I would root against Yukon. I hate them.

near the end of the quarter so I worked late trying to get a number of things wrapped up

in my bldg tonight was a Cincy alumni event

in the lobby, elevators and hanging outside I had brief conversations with many of them, usually leading with "I hope you guys get in a better conf soon"

a few had much disdain for the B12

they universally hated UCONN and hope they get left behind if cincy finds a better home (they missed playing L-Ville and WVU the most)

tenor.gif

I knew that but I didn't want to be debbie downer

Thanks HOFCeluck & Dasher, you are right! Jim Mora had so many classic rants between those two franchises, I neglected to apply the right one in this instance.

I chuckled at your responses and myself as well while seeing a good Animal House parallel. I feel like I am watching myself look like John Belushi when he declared "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" and Otter (?) said leave him alone he is on a roll. Thank you gentleman! LOL!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom