Ugh and double Ugh | Syracusefan.com

Ugh and double Ugh

SWC75

Bored Historian
I know college basketball didn't exactly put on the greatest show this year with a lot of ugly, low-scoring games. But at least the players shared the ball. There was some movement. I just saw the Knicks win despite an unwatchable 0-20 run where their entire offense consisted of isolations for Melo who has missed 57 of his last 82 shots and 17 three pointers in a row. Four guys stand there whole Melo tries a couple of moves that don't work. He then throws up a brick or tries to muscle his way past the guy for a circus shot. Entertainment value: ZERO.

This can't be what Naismith had in mind.

Naismith nailed a basket to a wall and said "hey guys can you throw a ball in it?" i'm sure he didn't have in mind isolation offenses and zone defenses.

I don't watch a lot of the NBA but I watch the Knicks when I get a chance. They look soooo good when they move the ball and sooooo bad when they iso. I don't get it. Does Melo just take over? Does Woodson say, "hey let's pound the ball on the floor and play poorly instead of playing the game that we excel at?" I love Melo but I can see why he gets criticized- it can be tough to watch and when you don't shoot well it can be frustrating too.

I don't watch a lot of the NBA but I watch the Knicks when I get a chance. They look soooo good when they move the ball and sooooo bad when they iso. I don't get it. Does Melo just take over? Does Woodson say, "hey let's pound the ball on the floor and play poorly instead of playing the game that we excel at?" I love Melo but I can see why he gets criticized- it can be tough to watch and when you don't shoot well it can be frustrating too.

woodsons most famous quote while in atlanta?

"iso joe"

he loves iso.

Knicks offensive basketball isn't the norm in the NBA these days. Most teams really execute and have great ball movement. Golden St., Denver, Indiana, and OKC/HOU, as mentioned above are really fun to watch.

First team to 70 wins! Eastern Conference basketball! It's faaaantastic!

Knicks offensive basketball isn't the norm in the NBA these days. Most teams really execute and have great ball movement. Golden St., Denver, Indiana, and OKC/HOU, as mentioned above are really fun to watch.

The funny thing is the Knicks in general do a pretty decent job moving the ball, but not in this series. And I think part of that is because of Boston's D.

Watched it too and thought the 4th quarter was horrible for the Knicks as far as team ball. Love college bb, pros? Not so much

The funny thing is the Knicks in general do a pretty decent job moving the ball, but not in this series. And I think part of that is because of Boston's D.
My thoughts exactly. They do look horrible when Melo is isolated, altely anyhow.

First team to 70 wins! Eastern Conference basketball! It's faaaantastic!

Actually I love this idea but make it something like 85. Teams would play all out to they reach 80. There would be no breaks because your up 20, and your best friend and gameplan would be to do your best instead of strategically work the clock.

It would make a nice college stipulation for a tournament or something once a year.

Omg this nonstop Knicks iso whining is so obnoxious. Guess what teams with superstars do...??? Ill give you a hint, OKC does it with Durant, Miami does it with Lebron, Houston does it with Harden and Golden State does it with Curry to name a few. Every team that has a star iso's when they need a bucket. It's not only the Knicks.

First and foremost, give credit to the Celtics for playing great defense and making a competitive series out of a 3-0 hole. Doc, KG and PP. Great season considering the loss of Rondo.

Knicks movement was stalled, but I think you have to really look at how well the Cs play defense and Doc coaches. This is a team with champions that go all out. The fact of the matter is that they may have won this series 4-0 if JR doesn't do a patented JR dumb move.

The Knicks offense revolves heavily on the three point shot, but going into this series, they had Pablo injured, Novak injured, Tyson injured and Kidd just not playing as well as he was. I mean, think about what K Mart was doing before he joined the team this year. So this team isn't fully back.

With that said, if you had watch the Grizz / Clips or OKC / Hou games, I think you would have been pleased.

And if that doesn't work, just watch Steph Curry... His play with those fans will give you a March Madness feel.

Omg this nonstop Knicks iso whining is so obnoxious. Guess what teams with superstars do...??? Ill give you a hint, OKC does it with Durant, Miami does it with Lebron, Houston does it with Harden and Golden State does it with Curry to name a few. Every team that has a star iso's when they need a bucket. It's not only the Knicks.

I'm not knocking the idea of ever running iso's. When you have a guy that is a talented one on one scorer, of course you should run iso's.

But I believe I saw a stat that the Knicks finished the most possessions in the NBA this year with an isolation. Now they were third in the league in offense so it isn't all bad, but they have run a lot of isolations. And in this series, about 26% of their possessions finished with isolations; during the season their total was about 15%; and that was really high. So they had an extraordinarily high number of iso's in this series.

Last night at the end of the game was bad though. They kept running isolations with Melo (or even worse, with JR where all he did shoot long jumpers) where he would bring the ball up the court and never give it up and then get a bad shot up. The big three he hit came off some action where they finally took the ball out of his hands and let him screen for Felton.

Though I think I agree with your main point, especially when it comes down to the idea of college ball vs pro ball.

@Knicks411. Woodsons coaching, especially late last night left alot to be desired. Kidd is shot and should only play sparingly. Last night might be the worst I've ever seen J Kidd play. Shumpert was a menace and Woodson sits him and imo not coincidentally during the time the Celtics made their run.

Woodson was killing me last night. I was in my living room screaming for Shump to be put back in the game. Totally agree

Actually I love this idea but make it something like 85. Teams would play all out to they reach 80. There would be no breaks because your up 20, and your best friend and gameplan would be to do your best instead of strategically work the clock.

It would make a nice college stipulation for a tournament or something once a year.

That is an interesting concept. It's fun to think outside the box, even though some may want to put you in one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom