Ugly stat | Syracusefan.com

Ugly stat

JarHeadJim

I have never won sheet!
ncb_g_boeheim01jr_65.jpg
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim now has more losses to double-digit seeds in the NCAA tournament than any other coach in history.

Most Losses to Double-Digit Seeds
Coaches in NCAA Tournament History

Coach Losses (Last)
Jim Boeheim 6 (2014)
Mike Krzyzewski 5 (2014)
Mike Brey 5 (2013)
John Thompson III 5 (2013)
Bob Knight 5 (2002)
Bobby Cremins 5 (1993)

Judging by some of those names, I'd say the more you get to the tournament (and have a top seed), the more likely it will happen.

Precisely.

not a big deal, hes been coaching for 100 years, upsets happen. the bigger problem i have is we havent been to enough final 4's in the other years.

I think the real story here is JT III. He is the Jack Nicklaus of losing to mid-majors.
If he coaches as long as Boheim or K, he is on pace to end up with at least 15 double digit losses.
That is some craptastic suckitude right there.

I would have thought Jamie Dixon would be on that list, as Pitt seems to flame out every year... I guess you actually have to have I high seed enough times for that to happened though. :rolleyes:

Names I would have thought would be on the list: Roy Williams, Gary Williams, Ben Howland

Names that are not associated with flaming out: Pitino, Izzo, Donavan, and our favorite Jim Calhoun. :oops::noidea:

ncb_g_boeheim01jr_65.jpg
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim now has more losses to double-digit see?ds in the NCAA tournament than any other coach in history.

Coach Losses (Last)
Jim Boeheim 6 (2014)
Mike Krzyzewski 5 (2014)
Mike Brey 5 (2013)
Bob Knight 5 (2002)
Bobby Cremins 5 (1993)
Coach K has gone out in the 1st round 2 of last 3 (heard like 3 out of 5). So which is 6 in 30 years or so many recenly

What % of appearances end in losses to double digit seeds? Much more honest stat.

Right. That was my immediate thought too. This is like saying "Jim Boeheim had more Big East losses than any coach to ever set foot in the conference!" (I'm not even sure if that is true, but it is probably close).

Also consider how skewed this is: Coach K, who has a similar number of NCAA appearances to JB, must have far fewer games against non-16 seed double digit seeds. Guessing, I would say he has probably had a #1 seed for 30-40% of his appearances. And he still is only one game back from JB on this list.

ncb_g_boeheim01jr_65.jpg
Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim now has more losses to double-digit seeds in the NCAA tournament than any other coach in history.

Coach Losses (Last)
Jim Boeheim 6 (2014)
Mike Krzyzewski 5 (2014)
Mike Brey 5 (2013)
Bob Knight 5 (2002)
Bobby Cremins 5 (1993)

Should be compared with total games played.

ncb_g_boeheim01jr_65.jpg

Coach Losses (Last)
Jim Boeheim 6 (2014)
Mike Krzyzewski 5 (2014)
Mike Brey 5 (2013)
Bob Knight 5 (2002)
Bobby Cremins 5 (1993)
Result of always being a high seed.

ESPN had a big insider article a while ago that Georgetown has been the worst giant of the "Giant Killer" era.

So at least they have that title, not us!

Judging by some of those names, I'd say the more you get to the tournament (and have a top seed), the more likely it will happen.

Pitino is 11-0 in sweet 16 games. Unreal.

ncb_g_boeheim01jr_65.jpg

Coach Losses (Last)
Jim Boeheim 6 (2014)
Mike Krzyzewski 5 (2014)
Mike Brey 5 (2013)
Bob Knight 5 (2002)
Bobby Cremins 5 (1993)

A list that includes the 3 coaches with the most all time wins in NCAA Division 1 History.

The real concern on that list would have to be Brey and JT3, who have many less games against sub 10 seeds.