UK scared to play on the road | Syracusefan.com

UK scared to play on the road

Room 914

Walk On
I read Kentucky and Indiana are done playing because Calipari and Crean couldn't agree on where to play. That rivalry has been played annually since 1969.

I understand Cal and other coaches say they have no reason to go play someone or play somewhere but it's killing college hoops I think. Not nearly enough good teams play each other and I never understood how coaches don't want to prepare their teams for march. We should be seeing a lot better games I think. Look at Izzo and coach K...still can't wrap my head around why Boeheim never plays anyone...

You think the committee cares if you have losses to 1-4 seeds? Probably not too much, at least you played someone and probably helped your team.

Cal does not want 5 freshmen playing an experienced team early in the year.

I read Kentucky and Indiana are done playing because Calipari and Crean couldn't agree on where to play. That rivalry has been played annually since 1969.

I understand Cal and other coaches say they have no reason to go play someone or play somewhere but it's killing college hoops I think. Not nearly enough good teams play each other and I never understood how coaches don't want to prepare their teams for march. We should be seeing a lot better games I think. Look at Izzo and coach K...still can't wrap my head around why Boeheim never plays anyone...

You think the committee cares if you have losses to 1-4 seeds? Probably not too much, at least you played someone and probably helped your team.
I think it has a lot to do with how powerful coaches have become. Coaches are allowed to help ensure their job security by playing lesser teams. Not just a basketball issue and will ultimatley hurt college sports and the attendence of games. Yesterday Butch Jones was lamenting the poor season ticket sales for UC football. Home games against Northwestern State, Fordham and Miami (OH) will do that to you. Even though Miami is a traditional rival, they are a MAC school and UC fans could really care less. Kind of like SU playing Colgate. UC also sold their home game against Virginia Tech to FedEx Field in Washington DC. I expect a lot of crickets in that stadium for that game, or maybe a bunch of Tech fans at best. Do these schools really expect you to pay the same amount for a game against Pitt as Fordham?

Many coaches would argue that a game played in November or December has little to no bearing on whether their team will be prepared for March. JB specifically would argue that Syracuse plays enough quality opponents in its conference season to prepare it for March and it doesn't need to play top 15 level OOC opponents in the pre conference portion of the season.

Many coaches would argue that a game played in November or December has little to no bearing on whether their team will be prepared for March. JB specifically would argue that Syracuse plays enough quality opponents in its conference season to prepare it for March and it doesn't need to play top 15 level OOC opponents in the pre conference portion of the season.

How's that working for you Jimmy Boeheim? It has a bearing on your team, seems like a pretty narrow minded philosophy

That upsets me a bit, as it would have been cool to see at least 1 top 5 team picking up a loss. Being KY loses a big name match up, hopefully that will make a SU matchup in the BE/SEC challenge even more likely.

That upsets me a bit, as it would have been cool to see at least 1 top 5 team picking up a loss. Being KY loses a big name match up, hopefully that will make a SU matchup in the BE/SEC challenge even more likely.
UK and Syracuse both have road games in the challenge so I don't think it's possible.

How's that working for you Jimmy Boeheim? It has a bearing on your team, seems like a pretty narrow minded philosophy

No more narrow minded than insisting that we need to play tougher games in November and December. The only folks that continue to beat that drum are the media and season ticket holders. The media because they want better matchups to cover and the season ticket holder because they want more value for their $.

No more narrow minded than insisting that we need to play tougher games in November and December. The only folks that continue to beat that drum are the media and season ticket holders. The media because they want better matchups to cover and the season ticket holder because they want more value for their $.
What I don't understand is why people insist that 1 or 2 games played in Nov/Dec will have a bigger impact on a teams performance than games against tougher opponents played in Feb/early Mar? Don't those game prepare you for the Tourny and do so better than the early ones as they are played closer to the actual tourny?

How's that working for you Jimmy Boeheim?
Well, let's see--National championship. 900 wins. All-time BE winningest coach. #1 seed 2 of the last 3 years. (Should I go on?)

Seems like it's working out all right.

Calipari used to be all about anyone/anytime/anywhere, now he wins a championship and thinks he can do whatever he wants

Well, let's see--National championship. 900 wins. All-time BE winningest coach. #1 seed 2 of the last 3 years. (Should I go on?)

Seems like it's working out all right.

But it's not as well it could be. We can't get to a final four with some really talented teams. With all the talent we have gotten I think we have underperformed pretty badly.

Not trying to be an a** but who cares if you want to play them go to UK and play them. If your a better team it doesn't really matter. UK won the championship last year so I can't fault them for calling the shots and no one else really should either.

Not trying to be an a** but who cares if you want to play them go to UK and play them. If your a better team it doesn't really matter. UK won the championship last year so I can't fault them for calling the shots and no one else really should either.
the funny thing is the game this year was supposed to be at Rupp

Calipari used to be all about anyone/anytime/anywhere, now he wins a championship and thinks he can do whatever he wants

Funny how back in the UMass days he was all over Calhoun for not playing a UMass-storz game. They eventually played much later when Cal was gone and UMass had returned to suckitude.

Indiana cares so much about home games that they sold a home football game with Penn State and played it in Washington.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom