Umpire and catchers masks need redesigning | Syracusefan.com

Umpire and catchers masks need redesigning

CaliCuse

All American
Currently the inside padding is dense and rests against the facial bone structure which transfers much of a blow through the padding and into the head of the person hit in the face. It needs redesigning to absorb the blow without the force transfer to the head. A mask that uses a "shock absorber type of design would be far more appropriate,especially in professional baseball where the forces absorbed are exponentially more dangerous.:eek:

I caught for 18 years and primarily used the hockey style mask. I never had a concussion or any issues besides it just being jarring to your senses. I think the most susceptible places for catchers concern are throat protection, and chest protection (see Lax players who've died from shots).
I do agree that they should be redesigned for newer technology but I don't think it's as pertinent as other sports. I'm sometimes surprised there hasn't been a motorcycle type helmet used (minus the glass/plexiglass). I would think NFL, NHL, MLB, and MLL would attempt to leverage research data and equipment from pilots and motorcycle companies for new helmet technology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom