UNC Game Thoughts - Post Replay | Syracusefan.com

UNC Game Thoughts - Post Replay

HtownOrange

Living Legend
I got home late in the fourth quarter to watch much disappointment from the team and then the amazing comeback. Reading many comments and having missed 3+ quarters, I decided to watch the game in replay.

What I saw first half:
- An effective offense once it got rolling.
- The running game was good
- The team marched down field
- Dungey was clicking with receivers
- An improved run defense
- The defense was decent against the run
- The pass defense was tolerable
- We outscored UNC 13-7
- Dungey get hit hard and questionably late just before the half, with a hit to the helmet, not called

- What I saw second half
- Off the mark throws, not just misses but not even close throws
- Timing seemed off
- Defense wore down
- What appeared to be poor game planning/play calling
- Dungey hustle with no magic
- Then I watched DeVito come in
- Sharp passing
- Offense responded to change in leadership
- Defense stepped up once offense stepped up
- Play calling "improved"

My assessment:
Though I have been starting to agree that Dungey's arm is messed up, at least to some degree and it does affect his game, I am thinking that the hit to the head played games with Dungey. I am not convinced he suffered another concussion, so drop it. I am convinced that the UNC defense got in Dungey's head. One issue with taking constat hits is that you can become wary, whether consciously or not.

It's a great feeling to know DeVito could step in.
I am not convinced the staff was calling poor plays, I think they were noticing something in game, too. However, Dungey did not appear to have another concussion, but he seemed to play with one (first drive, 2nd half excluded). It appears more that the staff was trying to call plays to get Dungey's head back in the game.

I say the above based on the simple fact that had the staff believed that Dungey suffered a concussion, they certainly would have investigated it and watched him closely. The one the thing the Orange does NOT lack is concussion protocol. Also, the play calling immediately improved once DeVito stepped on the field. Had the staff been so dumbfounded with play calling they would have continued calling dumb plays with DeVito.

Conclusion:
The team is in better hands than we may think, especially while in our emotional in-game mindset. The staff knows their players better than we give them credit. The staff knows what the kids can do, how to bring them back up/build them up and when they have to make big decisions.

There is no way the comeback and overtime victory could have happened unless the staff knew their team and know what they were doing (though I could do with less theatrics, Boeheim has already done a number on me in that category). Full credit should be given to the staff for what they did and for their reluctance to make knee-jerk reactions to Dungey's 2nd half less than stellar performance. Knee jerk reactions have far more damaging effects than real coaching and development of players. Watch any really strong (vertically and laterally) organization versus the "I know you got us here, but you screwed up, so take a seat" mentality. It not only messes with the heads of the players that are benched without having a chance to bounce back (injuries excepted, of course) and makes the other players around them think more about not screwing up than about making the play in front of them knowing the coaches will forgive a mistake if 100% effort was given.

HCDB is really the right gyuy for the job and if SU takes care of him, HDCB will be around 10-20 years and win big. He is not building a Bobby Petrino-good for a couple years-team, he is building an organization that can challenge for division, conference and possibly national titles. Think Dick McPherson and PP (early years).

Anyway, that is what this armchair coach thinks.

Great post. Great observation on Dungey. I think he keeps starting, but will have a much tighter leash. I think he’s been playing hurt since week one. I think Dino will go with the Clemson approach pre-KB leaving from here on out.

Dungey the past two games seemed like a kicker in a rut trying too hard to break out. I think McCloud’s style of playcalling fits TD’s skill set better. I think that is the other major factor in the offensive sputters. Dungey is a quick slant and out route type QB with the power option primary. McCloud wants to run veer with seams and bubbles. Makes it tough.

Devito has a faster release & the UNC defense struggled to adapt to it (with a notable exception on the INT). I’m sure anything can be schemed but that release really puts his receivers in a great position for YAC.

I was surprised a couple times at our not taking shots down the field when Dungey was in and the situation called for it. In the third, second and one from about our 40 yard line. Dungey runs for a first down rather than test the defense vertically. Then two straight sideline throws that went nowhere.

I get the idea that maybe Dungey was rattled but that seems unusual from what we know of him. And it doesn’t explain the horribly slow start on offense coming off a bye week. Hope Eric continues to start but I could see Devito being a decision made at halftime for the rest of the year.

Do our QBs have the green light to change the play or go to option 2?

Give Eric a headset and a cut off teeshirt. Don’t get the point right now in putting him in. He’s hurt, can’t toss it and our oline is fading with a weak wr group.
TD was so impressive I can’t believe it’s a debate

The O was not productive for the majority of the first half. I wanted Dungey pulled then. It was obvious. Outside of a roughly 5 min stretch between the last few minutes of the 2nd and the 1st minute of the third, the O was awful. We couldn’t even get first downs after going up 20-7. It was some of the worst O we have ever seen.

The O was not productive for the majority of the first half. I wanted Dungey pulled then. It was obvious. Outside of a roughly 5 min stretch between the last few minutes of the 2nd and the 1st minute of the third, the O was awful. We couldn’t even get first downs after going up 20-7. It was some of the worst O we have ever seen.

Ever?! Lol.

We’ve seen some bad offense around here

Give Eric a headset and a cut off teeshirt. Don’t get the point right now in putting him in. He’s hurt, can’t toss it and our oline is fading with a weak wr group.
TD was so impressive I can’t believe it’s a debate
I agree. Offense was so much smoother and ED is hurt. TD in there will open up the run game for us because of his arm. I really can’t watch us miss 8 yd throws like the one to Neal or Johnson that was really ugly. If TD can get a few yds running when it opens up we will be lit. This is hard for me cause I love ED but he is hurt and can’t do the job.

Ever?! Lol.

We’ve seen some bad offense around here

After going up 20-7 the next five drives yielded 14 total yards on 20 plays. We were at home and it’s not like we were playing Bama.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom