UNC playing in Ashville's gym | Syracusefan.com

UNC playing in Ashville's gym

adk(roc)CUSE

All Conference
Good for them. Actually wish we went on the road in state more often. Play at Siena, St. Bonaventure, Binghamton, Cornell etc. once in a while. Makes for easy road trips and is good for NY state college hoops.

Does Binghamton play in the same arena the B-Sens do? We could pack that place and it'd be a pretty cool short trip.

I saw that ...amazing. But how many people does the UNC arena hold? Most of the teams want to come to the dome b/c its more money for them rather than SU playingin their gym.

every team we play would want us to play them in their gym.

I will say that this is not the norm for them. I say UNC play a few years back against Davidson which is 25 minutes north of Charlotte and they played in the Colusium in Charlotte because Davidson gym is too small and there a ton of UNC fans. Same thing goes when they play UNC Charlotte

Think they typically play in Asheville area every year or every other (either UNC Asheville or Western Carolina) which allows for the fans in the western part of the state to see them play. No doubt that they are the predominant team in the state of NC.

As poster above noted they often have games in Charlotte (Bobcats arena) where they will play the local teams (Davidson, UNC Charlotte). This gives them a bigger venue and one that they will potentially play at in the future ie. NCAA tourney which is similar to us in past playing Siena at Times Union Center in Albany or Canisius at HSBC in Buffalo.

I think Asheville has a brand new arena.

Yes, they opened their new arena. And as for an earlier question, the Smith Center is huge by CBB standards, at roughly 22K capacity. UNC always seems to play a very ambitious road/neutral schedule.

UNC has to play a tough non-conference schedule when only Duke has a good team in the ACC. Poppy some of your criticisms are fair, but I could careless about the OOC schedule we play as long as we play the Big East grind. ACC is down only Duke and North Carolina have top 25 squads. Teams like Villanova, Cincinnati, Marquette, Georgetown would probably be 3rd or 4th in the ACC. I give UNC credit for playing UNC-Asheville but they signed a 2 for 1 contract. If SU didn't have the Dome and couldn't generate more revenue from home games we would probably sign these type agreements.

UNC has to play a tough non-conference schedule when only Duke has a good team in the ACC. Poppy some of your criticisms are fair, but I could careless about the OOC schedule we play as long as we play the Big East grind. ACC is down only Duke and North Carolina have top 25 squads. Teams like Villanova, Cincinnati, Marquette, Georgetown would probably be 3rd or 4th in the ACC. I give UNC credit for playing UNC-Asheville but they signed a 2 for 1 contract. If SU didn't have the Dome and couldn't generate more revenue from home games we would probably sign these type agreements.

You are well within your rights to think that the Big East "grind" is enough. I think it leads to inflated opinions of Big East strength, and ultimately shows when the conference, by and large, embarrasses itself in March most years.

I'd like to see us play some real road games in the first semester. Not a St. John's or Michigan State schedule, maybe, but at least return to playing two good nonconference home-and-homes as we did until about a decade ago. It's not like we draw particularly well at the Dome before Big East play, anyway.

It was cool when we played St Bona in Rahchester, and Towson State in Scranton-Wilkes-Barre.

Hopefully we can play a game in Buffalo or Albany again sometime.

My son was at the game (free season tickets as academic advisor to UNCA bball team). He said that Zeller is really good, has all the skills of a smaller guy.

It was cool when we played St Bona in Rahchester, and Towson State in Scranton-Wilkes-Barre.

Hopefully we can play a game in Buffalo or Albany again sometime.

Siena in Albany, too. And I seem to remember UB or Canisius in Buffalo not too long ago.

Seems a terrific way to drum up more Upstate interest in New York's College Team. Considering the opponents, is it that big a financial hit trading 18,000 in the Dome for 15,000 in one of those hockey arenas?

why should 'Cuse go anywhere in NYC and NJ to play...it is always called a home game so staying in Syracuse in a better idea...its really home.

In the mid 90's UNC came up and played @Dartmouth. Their arena holds about 2000 people, it was really cool to see.

In the mid 90's UNC came up and played @Dartmouth. Their arena holds about 2000 people, it was really cool to see.
UNC has a long standing policy of playing a game at a location near a senior player's hometown.

Hmm I'm not sure what team it was, but I do know Brendan Haywood was on the team. I looked at the rosters that he played on and I didn't see anyone that was from VT or NH... It was awesome to see regardless.

We played in Canisius 3-4 years ago. :noidea:
Actually I believe that it was in the Buffalo Aud or what ever it is called. Not on campus. BIG difference. Also wasn't done more like a homecoming for Flynn and Harris? The same thing was done for GMac playing a game not far from his home. Same thing was done for Forth playing in Albany.

It was at the HSBC Center in downtown Buffalo. I believe it was originally set up as an opportunity for Jonny and Paul to play in front of their hometown fans...

The crowd was approximately 90% SU fans.

Does Binghamton play in the same arena the B-Sens do? We could pack that place and it'd be a pretty cool short trip.

Binghamton plays in an on campus arena, but it's about the same size as the B-Sens arena and is much newer. Agree it would be an easy road trip - I'm thinking games like this would cause a spike in season ticket sales and helps build some goodwill around the state.