Underrated stat of the night | Syracusefan.com

Underrated stat of the night

jdubs30

Living Legend
Hats off to Marek - incredible. PC played great too.

We won the boards, 34-30. But Tyus and Frank combined for 11 boards. It was huge. I counted at least 4-5 boards where Frank/Tyus came out of nowhere to secure the rebound. Earlier in the year we saw both of them bail on the rebound and head back into transition. It seems now that an emphasis is on securing the rebound - which it should be. If we have all 5 guys crashing the boards, we won't allow many second chances. Personally, I'd prefer that route as opposed to 2 or 3 easy tranisiton buckets a game. Because if it's 3 on 4 when trying to rebound defensively, we will get murdered on the boards vs. good teams.

This team isn't built to win a tournament like this because of the lack of depth - but we saw a lot of encouraging signs tonight. I hope we get a chance in Dayton at the very least.

the stat I was surprised by was tyus only taking 9 shots and frank 8. shows how well marek and chewy were playing.

Some may wonder the direction of the cause/effect relationship on that one.

Was it me or did I see more Marek setting the initial high ball screen instead of PC? Obviously that is beneficial as both are horrible screeners but it helps PC avoid the one foul per game he gets called for on illegal screens and Marek is at least capable of something positive with the ball in his hands that far from the hoop.

the stat I was surprised by was tyus only taking 9 shots and frank 8. shows how well marek and chewy were playing.
Also shows how poor Wake's D is. Definitely hats off to MD/PC for converting, but Wake was leaving them basically unguarded. I think Marek had more dunks last night than the rest of the year combined.

Tonight will be a different story. Hopefully, they'll be able to convert some buckets with actual defenders there, or draw fouls.

Was it me or did I see more Marek setting the initial high ball screen instead of PC? Obviously that is beneficial as both are horrible screeners but it helps PC avoid the one foul per game he gets called for on illegal screens and Marek is at least capable of something positive with the ball in his hands that far from the hoop.
I think Marek is a decent screener, at least. PC is terrible at it and should never be asked to screen anyone ever again. Marek usually follows through with the screen and is in good position. PC just kind of gets in the way of both defender and ball handler.

That high pick and roll with Marek could blossom into something as he gets stronger and more experienced. He’s got the right size and agility. If his shooting from past 19ft comes along, watch out.

(Not this season - but hope they work all summer on it)

Shot distribution: Chukwu 7, Dolezaj 7, Brissett 11, Battle 9, Howard 8. That's a good sign. If Brissett had hit his noraml percentage we win by 20 and would be marveling at how everyone contributed.

I think Marek is a decent screener, at least. PC is terrible at it and should never be asked to screen anyone ever again. Marek usually follows through with the screen and is in good position. PC just kind of gets in the way of both defender and ball handler.

I think pc screens just to draw the opposing team’s center from under the basket

Hats off to Marek - incredible. PC played great too.

We won the boards, 34-30. But Tyus and Frank combined for 11 boards. It was huge. I counted at least 4-5 boards where Frank/Tyus came out of nowhere to secure the rebound. Earlier in the year we saw both of them bail on the rebound and head back into transition. It seems now that an emphasis is on securing the rebound - which it should be. If we have all 5 guys crashing the boards, we won't allow many second chances. Personally, I'd prefer that route as opposed to 2 or 3 easy tranisiton buckets a game. Because if it's 3 on 4 when trying to rebound defensively, we will get murdered on the boards vs. good teams.

This team isn't built to win a tournament like this because of the lack of depth - but we saw a lot of encouraging signs tonight. I hope we get a chance in Dayton at the very least.

And the two guards combined for ten boards on Saturday, too. I don't know if it's a point of emphasis from Boeheim, but it's great to see. As you note, if we can't get out in transition, might as well crash the glass with everybody.

I thought MD set a much better screen than PC. FH was able to get into line and make a play several times off of his screens.

He also set the screen at the 3 pt line above the elbow rather than 8 feet beyond the arc. Nobody is going to guard PC when he rolls off of that screen since PC will do nothing but travel if he catches the ball 20 feet from the basket.

If FH feeds MD on the roll MD gets the ball at, or inside, the foul line and, as we saw last night, can actually do something with it.

HD was sitting baseline watching for NC. I wonder how NC will react to what they saw last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom