Unsustainable | Syracusefan.com

Unsustainable

I see the gap between the Power 5 and everyone else, but doesn't the graph show an average AAC institutional investment of just of $25 million against average revenues of over $60 million? Be curious to know where those numbers come from as they imply the AAC, A-10, Mt West, CAA, MAC are all making money, no?

How is that unsustainable?

AAC schools are looking to be doing just fine. They're not going to be Alabama but they don't need to be. Businesses turning profit is a good thing, not everyone is going to be dominating their market

How are the SEC and the XII investing so little? Does this just reflect cheaper state school tuition rates for scholarship expenses?

I see the gap between the Power 5 and everyone else, but doesn't the graph show an average AAC institutional investment of just of $25 million against average revenues of over $60 million? Be curious to know where those numbers come from as they imply the AAC, A-10, Mt West, CAA, MAC are all making money, no?

its very odd wording.

i dont understand the "institutional investment in athletics" because the sec invests a heckuva lot more than $4mil in expenses.

How are the SEC and the XII investing so little? Does this just reflect cheaper state school tuition rates for scholarship expenses?
I think this graphic is showing how much of the 'revenue' each conference brings in actually comes from the institutions themselves. On average, AAC schools are bringing in $50M but about $25M of it is being provided by the schools to keep their athletic programs solvent.

Wildhack during an event in DC last week, specifically mentioned that the B10 and SEC had separated themselves from everybody else here. He mentioned the need to be smart with investments in order to compete against programs bringing in $20 million more yearly. He did say his hope was that a successful ACC network would cut into that, but, even in the best case scenario, it maybe makes up half that deficit. For those non P5 programs, that disparity is monumental. It will surely take investments by schools that pull money from educational needs, in order to offset costs. Otherwise, the battle is nearly herculean.

Those numbers don't seem right that the P5 are spending so little per school compared to a conference like the AAC. Is that data linked somewhere to verify those numbers. Weird.

say you live in an affluent neighborhood. you lose your job, and have to take another one that pays well but not as well as what you had. so you take out a 2nd and then a 3rd mortgage to maintain your previous lifestyle and to keep up appearances

it's unsustainable.

say you live in an affluent neighborhood. you lose your job, and have to take another one that pays well but not as well as what you had. so you take out a 2nd and then a 3rd mortgage to maintain your previous lifestyle and to keep up appearances

it's unsustainable.

If they're putting in 25 million and getting 60 million in revenue ... I think they'll be okay

If they're putting in 25 million and getting 60 million in revenue ... I think they'll be okay
No, you aren't getting it.

Their cost for athletics is, on average, 60 million a year.

They are bringing in, on average, 35 million a year in revenue.

They are supplying their athletic departments with 25 million a year, on average, to balance the books.

I don't think so because a lot of states (if not darned near all) have laws which forbid financial aid office money from being used for athletic scholarships, whereas for private schools it's a matter of the individual schools' policies. I know for a fact that VA and NC have those laws and the booster clubs at UVa, VPI, UNC, and NC State have to raise all the money that goes toward scholarships. It's one of the reasons why the coaches are encouraged to recruit in-state athletes. The more money that is raised by the boosters, the more of the X-number of permissible total scholarships can be funded. This discussion excludes Pell Grant money which is a Federal Program administered by financial aid offices.

Last edited:
No, you aren't getting it.

Their cost for athletics is, on average, 60 million a year.

They are bringing in, on average, 35 million a year in revenue.

They are supplying their athletic departments with 25 million a year, on average, to balance the books.

Well...

that's just like...

your opinion man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors