Upon reflection- 2nd half of VCU more concerning than Colgate | Syracusefan.com

Upon reflection- 2nd half of VCU more concerning than Colgate

pearl31

in cahoots
Obviously allowing 95pts in the span of of 33 mins to any team, let alone a scrub team like Colagte, is horrific - but at least you can say, well those guys are legit shooters and they went bombs away and then we pretty much gave up in the last 5m for the score to get where it ended up...
VCU is a HORRIBLE offensive team. Like, completely inept. That they were able to come out of halftime and score 44 points is more troubling than the Colgate game. And there is just no rationalizing to be done.

That is what is sticking with me right now. Yeah it happened in November and JB teams have demonstrated an ability in recent years to transform throughout the season. But how can one not have the sinking feeling of, "If VCU can do that to us... gulp"

I'm kind of in disbelief that JB has constructed a team that is this bad defensively.

Agreed, some of that was 2 bad foul calls on Jesse that took him out of the game. His development is maybe the lone bright spot so far. That and Joe has found his range again but thats negated on the defensive end...

Obviously allowing 95pts in the span of of 33 mins to any team, let alone a scrub team like Colagte, is horrific - but at least you can say, well those guys are legit shooters and they went bombs away and then we pretty much gave up in the last 5m for the score to get where it ended up...
VCU is a HORRIBLE offensive team. Like, completely inept. That they were able to come out of halftime and score 44 points is more troubling than the Colgate game. And there is just no rationalizing to be done.

That is what is sticking with me right now. Yeah it happened in November and JB teams have demonstrated an ability in recent years to transform throughout the season. But how can one not have the sinking feeling of, "If VCU can do that to us... gulp"

I'm kind of in disbelief that JB has constructed a team that is this bad defensively.
Keep calm and move forward!

What are you, some basketball savant, to declare this in November???

J/K -- I'm right there with you, man. Highly disconcerting.

Keep calm and move forward!
the mueller report see GIF

What are you, some basketball savant, to declare this in November???

J/K -- I'm right there with you, man. Highly disconcerting.
it's the stages of grief, man!
over the weekend I was still in whatever stage that was - bargaining? denial?

but, no, I don't think it's hopeless and I do think it's likely the defense becomes at least halfway adequate at some point - but the fact it's this bad right now... I guess I didn't think it was possible

it's the stages of grief, man!
over the weekend I was still in whatever stage that was - bargaining? denial?

but, no, I don't think it's hopeless and I do think it's likely the defense becomes at least halfway adequate at some point - but the fact it's this bad right now... I guess I didn't think it was possible
For me its the disbelief that its now year what? 6 or 7 of mediocrity? I have lost track
With the portal you should be able to make quick fixes of improvement, not regression when your Syracuse.
Look at how quickly Nate Oates turned afterthought Alabama into a 25 game winner in year 2 of his tenure. Meanwhile here its, "lets lower our expectations" "we have no money/resources" when were 6th on the all time wins list, 1st or 2nd in attendance, 3rd in revenue for CBB

VCU got about 10 pts on nothing but inept offense leading to run outs. When you have issues on D you cant add to it by turning it over in bad places.

Agreed, some of that was 2 bad foul calls on Jesse that took him out of the game. His development is maybe the lone bright spot so far. That and Joe has found his range again but thats negated on the defensive end...
Agree.

With Jesse in the lineup and everyone working hard and on point, we can be a decent team defensively.

When Jesse is out, we are hopelessly bad on defense. Turn out the lights. The party is over.

True.
But VCU does that to all teams it plays, including St. Petes, Chatanooga, and Wagner - VCU couldn't score more than 57 total on any of them
They certainly could shoot against SU, Baylor and UCON. I don't think the coaches and players from those teams are talking smack about VCU. But you go ahead and get it all out. Can somebody spoon pearl31?

yeah that's actually a good comp - as is the feel of this team right now (soft, lacking) with that team in Nov/Dec
bullied the whole night and the other bench was laughing at the SU players by the end. also happened at the end of Auburn game this year

I'm hoping Sid can give us meaningful center backup minutes. That would make a big difference on how aggressively the defense could play. That probably puts me somewhere between bargaining and depression in the stages of bball grief.

I'm hoping Sid can give us meaningful center backup minutes. That would make a big difference on how aggressively the defense could play. That probably puts me somewhere between bargaining and depression in the stages of bball grief.
If you are banking on Sid, you are in the dreamland stage of bball grief

The only athletic fix I can see at this point is for 12-18 mpg put Cole and Benny on opposite sides with one up top. That means no Symir or Joe. Maybe Frank has the mobility to also be on the wing. Jimmy sits so far back in the zone, and teams haven't even begun to expose that overloading that side yet.

Buddy needs to bring the ball up with Jimmy and Cole, with Benny and Edwards way over the half-court, and we need to slow down the ball in that lineup with 2 post-up men, while using Benny for screening uptop on occasion. It's a roll of the dice, and hopefully, Benny developes some handle and passing skill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom