Upperclassmen are dominating the depth chart | Syracusefan.com

Upperclassmen are dominating the depth chart

LeMoyneCuse

All American
I got caught up on logging appearances this week. I do this as an exercise of tracking freshmen who won't be redshirting (OX covers this, so I don't share.)

For all of the grousing in the off-season about how young the team is (which I very loudly took part in), the team on the field really isn't that young.

A total of 38 players have appeared in all four games this season. Of those players:

- 23 are in at least their third year with the program
- 4 are transfers who have been involved in college football for at least three seasons (Bleich, Roscoe, Shrader, Simmons)
- 9 are 2020 freshmen and 2 (Chestnut and Gadsen) are 2021 freshmen

Another 6 players have starting experience and have been with the program for 3+ years, have 2 or 3 appearances on the year - mostly due to injury. (Meaning they are likely to figure in more prominently going forward if healthy.) This list includes Bear, Dakota, Taj, Benson, and Garrett - as well as Tommy.

It does not include Rhino, who will certainly take back reps from Mang when ready.

Three players from the classes of 2020 or 2021 have 3 appearances. Pena was hurt against Liberty. Lockett has 3 appearances - with Bear healthy, they may want to preserve his RS. Mahar seems to be a specials guy.

In short, for all of the youth on the roster, the upper-classmen seem to be doing much of the heavy lifting. That's a good thing! (But goodness, do I hope the young DL guys are ready to replace Bear / Roscoe / Black / Kingsley next year.)

I looked up Sam Hartman of Wake the other day, he's listed as a sophomore.

He's thrown for 875 yards against us in 3 games and we haven't even played him in his "sophomore" year yet.

The best way I can describe player classification these days is:

funny-bill-murray.gif

Last edited:
I looked up Sam Hartman of Wake the other day, he's listed as a sophomore.

He's thrown for 875 yards against us in 3 years and we haven't even played him in his "sophomore" year yet.

The best way I can describe player classification these days is:

funny-bill-murray.gif
when did the 4game rule get implemented?

The roster sets itself up to have a solid 2022 season assuming the coaching staff does a good job this year. As you said, DL is the most immediate need along with prolly a starting WR. Most of the OL should be back and the freshmen OL aren't being thrown into the fire unlike the past couple seasons.

Looks like 2019 he only played in 4 games.

When he's QB against us in 2023, it's going to feel like he's been there forever. Because he will have been there forever.
Here’s hoping maybe he becomes a grad transfer to a higher profile program?

Here’s hoping maybe he becomes a grad transfer to a higher profile program?

I was trying to see what the record was for a college QB's most yards passing against one team in his career.

But I stopped when I read that Andre Ware once had 340 yards passing and 5 TDs against SMU. In one QUARTER.

The roster sets itself up to have a solid 2022 season assuming the coaching staff does a good job this year. As you said, DL is the most immediate need along with prolly a starting WR. Most of the OL should be back and the freshmen OL aren't being thrown into the fire unlike the past couple seasons.
I remember the ACC Network did those school "shows" breaking down school history, football team for 21, etc... Anyway, EJ Manual indicated that SU will be a team to lookout for in '22 (or something similar to that)

I prefer to look at "youth" not by how many years a players has been in a college football program, but by how much eligibility the player has remaining.

In this week's two-deep depth chart we have

6 players who will run out of eligibility; Servais, Adams, Black, Roscoe, M. Williams, and Jonathan.
7 players with one year of eligibility remaining; DeVito, S, Johnson, Harris, Davis, Tisdale, Harper, and Coley,
12 players with two years of eligibility remaining; Shrader, Lutz, Benson, Queely, Bergeron, Bleich, Vettorello, Okechukwu, Jones, Cantin-Arku, and Simmons.
33 players with three years of eligibility remaining; too many to list.

Coaches cannot afford to look backwards and need to look forward as they build a program. Thus its important to know both how many years since a player left high school (cause this affects the player's eligibility for the NFL) and how many years of eligibility a player has remaining.

71.7% of the players listed on this week's two-deep depth chart have three years of eligibility remaining. 44.6% of the players listed on FSU's two-deep depth chart for for this week have three years of eligibility remaining.

86.9% of the players (40/46) listed on this week's two-deep depth chart have at least one year of eligibility remaining and could return for 2022. 83.9% of the players (47/56) listed on this week's two-deep depth chart have at least one year of eligibility remaining and could return for 2022.

Although we could lose a few players with eligibility remaining to the pros or the transfer portal, we are in position to return most of the players in our two-deep roster for 2022. Most transfers will come from players lower in the depth chart who are behind players with plenty of remaining eligibility.

With that said, I think Babers' biggest recruiting challenge following the 2021 season is going to be to keep Tony White.

I was trying to see what the record was for a college QB's most yards passing against one team in his career.

But I stopped when I read that Andre Ware once had 340 yards passing and 5 TDs against SMU. In one QUARTER.
you wont find many who played 6 games against a team though

We need some wideouts and defensive lineman. Hopefully, some might be found in the portal. Always looking for offensive lineman.

We have six scholarship WR's on the roster who are freshmen. 3 from the 2020 class and 3 from 2021
  • Pena, 2020 (3 games)
  • Alford, 2020 (4 games)
  • Williams, 2020 (zero games)
  • Gadsden, 2021 (2 games)
  • Hatcher, 2021 (1 game)
  • Long, 2021 (zero games)
I'm sure coaches will be making an effort to redshirt at least half of these guys to create balance between the classes. You don't want to create a recruiting bubble by having six WR all run out of eligibility the same year. Start watching how many games these guys play in to see who will be eligible to RS, needs to be no more than four.

For the class of 2022, we already have a commitment from WR Donovan Brown, 6'3", 180 lbs., 3*

We have six scholarship DT's on the roster who are freshmen, plus one RS-Fr PWO DT who is playing.
2 from the 2019 class, 1 from the 2020 class and 4 from 2021. Here are the freshman that cold still redshirt.
  • Kinsler, Fr, 2020 (zero games, INJ?)
  • Lockett, Fr, 2021 (2 games)
  • Geer, Fr, 2021 (1 game)
  • Fuentes, Fr, 2021 (1 game)
  • Simmons, Fr, 2021 (zero games)
Same as above. I suspect playing time between freshman who can still RS will be broken up to keep a few of these guys eligible to RS this season and create balance between the recruiting classes.

For the class of 2022, we already have 3 commitments from defensive linemen.
  • O'Yaeir Price, 6'2", 255 lb, 3*
  • Bellzaire Bassette, 6'1.5", 255 lb. 3*
  • Malachi Davis, 6'5", 245 lb. 3*

We will be much younger upfront next year. I wouldn't say no to a difference maker in the portal.

Hopefully some of these young WRs and DL will grow and develop into serious contributors.

Go Orange

you wont find many who played 6 games against a team though

I can’t imagine you’d find any. Even in the new rules the most would be 5.

But it could be a somewhat new normal for those who played in the Covid year.

We have six scholarship WR's on the roster who are freshmen. 3 from the 2020 class and 3 from 2021
  • Pena, 2020 (3 games)
  • Alford, 2020 (4 games)
  • Williams, 2020 (zero games)
  • Gadsden, 2021 (2 games)
  • Hatcher, 2021 (1 game)
  • Long, 2021 (zero games)
I'm sure coaches will be making an effort to redshirt at least half of these guys to create balance between the classes. You don't want to create a recruiting bubble by having six WR all run out of eligibility the same year. Start watching how many games these guys play in to see who will be eligible to RS, needs to be no more than four.

For the class of 2022, we already have a commitment from WR Donovan Brown, 6'3", 180 lbs., 3*

We have six scholarship DT's on the roster who are freshmen, plus one RS-Fr PWO DT who is playing.
2 from the 2019 class, 1 from the 2020 class and 4 from 2021. Here are the freshman that cold still redshirt.
  • Kinsler, Fr, 2020 (zero games, INJ?)
  • Lockett, Fr, 2021 (2 games)
  • Geer, Fr, 2021 (1 game)
  • Fuentes, Fr, 2021 (1 game)
  • Simmons, Fr, 2021 (zero games)
Same as above. I suspect playing time between freshman who can still RS will be broken up to keep a few of these guys eligible to RS this season and create balance between the recruiting classes.

For the class of 2022, we already have 3 commitments from defensive linemen.
  • O'Yaeir Price, 6'2", 255 lb, 3*
  • Bellzaire Bassette, 6'1.5", 255 lb. 3*
  • Malachi Davis, 6'5", 245 lb. 3*

We will be much younger upfront next year. I wouldn't say no to a difference maker in the portal.

Hopefully some of these young WRs and DL will grow and develop into serious contributors.

Go Orange
Small upfront

Need a kid or two already pushing 290-300

Hard to find I know when all the ready or close to ready kids that size are 4 and 5 star guys

Rondi? will he ever get significant PT?
I think so

He was celebrating pretty hard in one of the post Liberty locker room videos.

He will be in the rotation next year

Edit - did you know he was neighbors with David Tyree?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom