Urban legand? It snows a lot in Syracuse! | Syracusefan.com

Urban legand? It snows a lot in Syracuse!

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
By the weather thus far you would think all of that negative recruiting was a pack of lies. There are pictures of people playing golf yesterday in CNY. There is even some doubts that we'll have a white Christmas. We have had less than 0.7 inches of snow thus far!:)

Checking the local stores there has been a run on outdoor decorations. I know I put up quite a bit more than normal due to the mild working conditions. I heard a couple of weeks ago that a record 7.1 billion dollars has been spent nationally on outdoor decorations.

Shifting Atlantic pattern leaves Syracuse seriously short of snow

I'm all for it. I'm heading out tomorrow...a snowless first semester is alright with me. I'm sure January-March will more than make up for it.

I know a lot of businesses in Oswego County and the North Country that rely on snowmobile related tourism are getting a little worried right now. The week between Christmas and New Years is usually their most profitable of the year.

We will get our fair share of snow. It will start coming in January by the foot! ;)

old timers know- easy december = nasty rest of the winter

I'm all for it. I'm heading out tomorrow...a snowless first semester is alright with me. I'm sure January-March will more than make up for it.
Never count out April, either

By the weather thus far you would think all of that negative recruiting was a pack of lies. There are pictures of people playing golf yesterday in CNY. There is even some doubts that we'll have a white Christmas. We have had less than 0.7 inches of snow thus far!:)

Checking the local stores there has been a run on outdoor decorations. I know I put up quite a bit more than normal due to the mild working conditions. I heard a couple of weeks ago that a record 7.1 billion dollars has been spent nationally on outdoor decorations.

Shifting Atlantic pattern leaves Syracuse seriously short of snow
I have played at least once every week since returning from the Big East tournament in mid March.

not so sure it's a myth?
Rochester, New York gets more snow than any other large city in the United States, with a yearly average of nearly 100 inches (255 cm). Close to eight feet of snow also buries nearby Buffalo in a typical year.

Most cities in the United States receive some fresh snow in December, January and February. For 16 of the 51 largest US cities, the annual snowfall normally adds up to two feet (60 centimetres) or more.
The heaviest snowfall in one month for any large US city usually lands at the northern New York state cities of Buffalo and Rochester. Rochester averages 28.2 inches (71.6 cm) of new snow in January. Buffalo's heaviest snow month is December, when it gets an average of 27.4 inches (69.6 cm).
The snowfall totals are averages based on weather data collected from 1981 to 2010 for the NOAA National Climatic Data Center. The major cities included in the weather rankings represent the 51 metropolitan areas in the United States with the biggest populations, all those with over one million people in 2010, according to the US Census Bureau. A complete list of America's 51 largest urban centers is available here.

Average annual snowfall for the snowiest large US cities:

CityYearly Snowfall
Inches Centimetres
Rochester, New York 99.5 252.7
Buffalo, New York 94.7 240.5
Cleveland, Ohio 68.1 173.0
Salt Lake City, Utah 56.2 142.7
Minneapolis, Minnesota 54.0 137.2
Denver, Colorado 53.8 136.7
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 46.9 119.1
Boston, Massachusetts 43.8 111.3
Detroit, Michigan 42.7 108.5
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 41.9 106.4
Hartford, Connecticut 40.5 102.9
Chicago, Illinois 36.7 93.2
Providence, Rhode Island 33.8 85.9
Columbus, Ohio 27.5 69.9
Indianapolis, Indiana 25.9 65.8
New York, New York 25.1 63.8
ote="Orangeyes, post: 121959"]By the weather thus far you would think all of that negative recruiting was a pack of lies. There are pictures of people playing golf yesterday in CNY. There is even some doubts that we'll have a white Christmas. We have had less than 0.7 inches of snow thus far!:)

Shifting Atlantic pattern leaves Syracuse seriously short of snow[/quote]

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to show since the article you refer to is only talking about cities with metropolitan statistical areas (MSA's) larger than 1 million people. The Syracuse MSA has about 750,000 people and gets over 115 inches of snow a year on average.

A list that shows actual cities, and not the MSA can be found here: http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to show since the article you refer to is only talking about cities with metropolitan statistical areas (MSA's) larger than 1 million people. The Syracuse MSA has about 750,000 people and gets over 115 inches of snow a year on average.

A list that shows actual cities, and not the MSA can be found here: http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html
Yeah but I like OmahaCuse's numbers better. Just show those to the recruits with no explanation.

10351452-standard.jpg

This is December the 13th @ Liverpool CC folks

At this point in 2010 I had shoveled, snowthrew and got the snow off of my roof eight times.

Thus far I have had none of that and I don't miss it.

I've got three weeks off and have been looking forward to skiing since March. Guess that's not happening in the short term.

Bizarre weather up here. Grass should not be such a vibrant shade of green in mid-December.

You will not be saying this in Jan/Feb when its 10 degrees, windchill of -5 and 4 feet of snow on the ground...lovely.

I'm sitting on my deck on 12/16 with a lunchtime cocktail and its 72 degrees in the ATL. So glad I moved down here in June. As soon as the parents retire to a warmer climate(FL), I'll never have to travel to Onondaga County again...thank you ACC.

old timers know- easy december = nasty rest of the winter

Actually, if you look at analog years with a mild autumn and snowless December, there's a good chance we'll see a seasonal total well below average.

Not that anyone is complaining.

You will not be saying this in Jan/Feb when its 10 degrees, windchill of -5 and 4 feet of snow on the ground...lovely.

I'm sitting on my deck on 12/16 with a lunchtime cocktail and its 72 degrees in the ATL. So glad I moved down here in June. As soon as the parents retire to a warmer climate(FL), I'll never have to travel to Onondaga County again...thank you ACC.
It was 60 here yesterday and it's only 6 miles from the Dome, win-win.