USA Today Coaches Poll | Syracusefan.com

USA Today Coaches Poll

AirForceOrange

Hall of Fame
How The Poll Works
The USA TODAY Sports men's basketball coaches poll is conducted weekly throughout the regular season using a panel of head coaches at Division I schools. The panel is chosen in consultation with the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The members represent each of the 32 Division I conferences that receive an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Each coach submits a Top 25 with a first-place vote worth 25 points, second place 24, and so on down to one point for 25th.

TOP 25 TEAMS, WEEK 1
RANK TEAM RECORD POINTS 1st Place Votes Prev CHANGE Hi/Low
1 Kentucky 29-11 785 24 NR – –
2 Arizona 33-5 746 3 NR – –
3 Duke 26-9 715 2 NR – –
4 Wisconsin 30-8 706 3 NR – –
5 Kansas 25-10 654 0 NR – –
6 North Carolina 24-10 598 0 NR – –
7 Florida 36-3 568 0 NR – –
8 Virginia 30-7 519 0 NR – –
9 Louisville 31-6 507 0 NR – –
10 Texas 24-11 479 0 NR – –
11 Wichita State 35-1 471 0 NR – –
12 Villanova 29-5 439 0 NR – –
13 Gonzaga 29-7 423 0 NR – –
14 Iowa St. 28-8 323 0 NR – –
15 Connecticut 32-8 292 0 NR – –
16 Virginia Commonwealth 26-9 259 0 NR – –
17 San Diego State 31-5 251 0 NR – –
18 Michigan State 29-9 241 0 NR – –
19 Oklahoma 23-10 237 0 NR – –
20 Ohio State 25-10 223 0 NR – –
21 Nebraska 19-13 156 0 NR – –
22 Southern Methodist Univ. 27-10 149 0 NR – –
23 Michigan 28-9 139 0 NR – –
24 Syracuse 28-6 128 0 NR – –
25 Iowa 20-13 56 0 NR – –

*Hi/Low Rankings
Hi/Low = The highest and lowest ranking each team has held during the designated season. Any team that starts the season unranked and/or falls out of the top 25 during the season will reflect a "NR" (not ranked) designation as its lowest rank.

Others Receiving Votes
Harvard 47; Stanford 47; Kansas State 37; Pittsburgh 36; Utah 26; Memphis 25; Minnesota 18; UCLA 15; New Mexico 11; Oregon 9; Louisiana Tech 8; Colorado 8; Arkansas 8; Dayton 6; Providence 5; Notre Dame 5; Massachusetts 4; Georgetown 4; Illinois 4; Texas-El Paso 4; Florida State 3; Baylor 2; George Washington 1; Miami (Fla.) 1; Toledo 1; Saint Mary?s 1.
List of Voters

The USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 32 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2014-15 season: Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Randy Bennett, Saint Mary?s; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Todd Bozeman, Morgan State; Glenn Braica, St. Francis Brooklyn; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Scott Cherry, High Point; Tim Cluess, Iona; Ed Conroy, Tulane; Keith Dambrot, Akron; Scott Drew, Baylor; Matt Driscoll, North Florida Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Bruiser Flint, Drexel; Mark Fox, Georgia; John Gallagher, Hartford; Ray Harper, Western Kentucky; Dick Hunsaker, Utah Valley; George Ivory, Arkansas-Pine Bluff; Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Danny Kaspar, Texas State; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Greg McDermott, Creighton; Matt Painter, Purdue; Dave Paulsen, Bucknell; Randy Rahe, Weber State; Joe Scott, Denver; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara; Mike Young, Wofford.

Looks about right to me in terms of our ranking, with so many unknowns.

yeah I'm fine with it. But there are, as is always the case, a number of teams humorously over-ranked. i.e., NC at 6, Florida at 7, ucon ranked at all

I don't understand the UNC ranking at all. They could prove me wrong, I know they have Paige, johnson, and tokoto back, Meeks has lost weight etc...added Pinson and Jackson, but a team that couldn't shoot a lick last year and added no shooting is going to be better why?

yeah I'm fine with it. But there are, as is always the case, a number of teams humorously over-ranked. i.e., NC at 6, Florida at 7, ucon ranked at all

They bring back lots of components of a national title team and a solid recruiting class. I personally thought they'd be in the 8-10 range.

Good. Motivation. The Michigan game becomes even more of a yardstick.

UNC is loaded. Paige is the real deal and a top-5 recruiting class added some excellent perimeter shooting. Meeks has improved and Tokoto is already a stud. 5ish sounds about right for them.

They bring back lots of components of a national title team.
yeah, ok. just like SU brings lots of components back from last year, huh?

The fact we got ranked with how much unproven raw talent we have shows our program's respect level has risen. I didn't think we would be ranked preseason but the fact we did is great.
Looks like we are guaranteed to play a top 25 team at MSG for the 2k Sports tourney. Iowa-Texas are both ranked and the fact we have 3 top 25 teams on our non-conference schedule and none of them are at the Dome should silence the Gottlieb never leave CNY narrative.

Top 25 breakdown
6 B1G teams
5 ACC teams
4 Big XII teams
2 SEC teams
2 American teams
1 PAC-12 team
1 Mountain West team
1 Missouri Valley team
1 Big East team
1 West Coast Conference team
1 A-10 team

I wish we had had non conference schedules like this more often in the past. Particularly when we had better teams. I'm hoping this will stick as a trend.

As others have said, I am a bit surprised we are ranked in the preseason with little proven talent and losing a good chunk of our nucleus. It shows that we(mainly JB) have earned some respect and are likely ranked higher than we would have been in other years with the same roster.

As for other teams, I wouldn't get my feathers ruffled. This is a preseason poll and soon enough we'll get to see which teams deserve the respect coaches have given them. I can't wait for the season to start!

Top 25 breakdown
6 B1G teams
5 ACC teams
4 Big XII teams
2 SEC teams
2 American teams
1 PAC-12 team
1 Mountain West team
1 Missouri Valley team
1 Big East team
1 West Coast Conference team
1 A-10 team

How many former Big East teams? ;)

As usual, Kansas is in the Top 5. That is more annoying than seeing UK there every year. How is it justified when they lost Wiggins and Embiid? You're telling me they have THAT much talent left over to be Top 5? Or, do the coaches take their lousy conference schedule (ie easy wins) into account expecting that they will be there eventually with an inflated record? I don't think KU is all that much better than we are.

The fact we got ranked with how much unproven raw talent we have shows our program's respect level has risen. I didn't think we would be ranked preseason but the fact we did is great.
Looks like we are guaranteed to play a top 25 team at MSG for the 2k Sports tourney. Iowa-Texas are both ranked and the fact we have 3 top 25 teams on our non-conference schedule and none of them are at the Dome should silence the Gottlieb never leave CNY narrative.
It never silences them. They take a gamble on us stinking. They are right 1 out of 20 times, but that one time is not what stands out. This is:
156012_10152657173240427_327061068_n.jpg

As usual, Kansas is in the Top 5. That is more annoying than seeing UK there every year. How is it justified when they lost Wiggins and Embiid? You're telling me they have THAT much talent left over to be Top 5? Or, do the coaches take their lousy conference schedule (ie easy wins) into account expecting that they will be there eventually with an inflated record? I don't think KU is all that much better than we are.

Kansas has Perry Ellis and Wayne Selden back, bring in two freshmen studs in Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander, and a a highly ranked point guard in Devonte Graham. They bring back Jamari Traylor, who could be real good and Frankcamp, an excellent shooter. Lot of NBA talent there.

UNC is loaded. Paige is the real deal and a top-5 recruiting class added some excellent perimeter shooting. Meeks has improved and Tokoto is already a stud. 5ish sounds about right for them.

Agreed. Anyone saying UNC is too high doesnt really pay attention to the types of teams that do well in a roy williams system. ..mainly that this team will be able to fly up and down the court and when his teams can do that well they are extremely tough to beat. athletes everywhere.

Kansas has Perry Ellis and Wayne Selden back, bring in two freshmen studs in Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexander, and a a highly ranked point guard in Devonte Graham. They bring back Jamari Traylor, who could be real good and Frankcamp, an excellent shooter. Lot of NBA talent there.
Just like always, perceptions. Look who has the ball. And look who's guarding him. By the way, pretty sure this was a big game for both teams and that right there was the game winning shot.
SUball

I think 24th is a show of respect considering what we lost from last years team. There are a lot of questions about this team going into this year and to be in the top 25 to start is ok with me.

Just like always, perceptions. Look who has the ball. And look who's guarding him. By the way, pretty sure this was a big game for both teams and that right there was the game winning shot.
SUball

Not sure what that means, but Kansas has NBA talent, which is why they are ranked so high. I'm sure Selden is a much better player than Ron Patterson is.

yeah, ok. just like SU brings lots of components back from last year, huh?
Christ, they just won the national title… give them some credit. And we don't even know who can score for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom