USF Game Quotes | Syracusefan.com

USF Game Quotes

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Syracuse Quotes

Jim Boeheim

On the start of the game

"Obviously we didn't get off to a good start. They took control of the game," "We really did not play great for that period of time. Then we really establish the lead, came out in the second half and got off to a great start."

On the run

“We really, I thought, played great for that period of time,’’ “We established a lead. Then came out in the second half and got off to a great start.’’

On the USF comeback

“We made three or four errors that we usually don’t make and let them back in,’’ “To their credit, they took advantage of it.’’

On the two seniors play

“We’ve been in these games all year and our veteran guys have made plays coming down the stretch for us,’’ “That’s how you win these games.’’

On KJo's late plays

“We just wanted to try to get him the ball,” “and see if he could go on that side. And he did.” "I thought the game came down to Kris made two unbelievable rebound efforts, physical rebound efforts inside to get the ball back on his drives and made the two plays of the game right there,"

. A couple good defensive plays too. We were having a bad game and when you’re having a bad game you just have to find a way to make the play. He did."

On Scoops big play

"Jardine’s drive was “a game-determining play, ”Without it, we probably lose. The bottom line is that we’ve found a way to win several times this season when we’ve put ourselves in position to lose. We’ve got enough playmakers to overcome poor shooting.”

On the guys playing a lot

“I think we’re playing those guys a little too much,’’

On our shooting

“We’re not shooting it great from the outside,” . “The Louisville game and this game, we’ve got to take it to the basket in those situations.”

On the slow pace

“Offensively it has been a little bit of a struggle,” “Shooting the basketball tonight was one of those games. We’ve got to play at this pace. There are going to be a lot of games like this ahead of us.” “Would we rather be dominant and win by 16-20 like we were early in the year? Sure. But at least we know we can win games like this and make enough plays when it counts.”

Summing it up

"They made a great run to start the game and then we made a great run. Then we got up fourteen and Brandon Triche made a bad turnover and missed three plays. He tried to make three plays which was good, he was aggressive. He didn’t make any of the three. The game never gets out of 14. Basketball is a game. They didn’t squander anything. We didn’t squander anything. It’s the way the game is played. You make a run, they make a run, we make a run. The key is you having more than them.”That’s just the game, that’s the way it is, the way it always has been, nothing more than that.”

On James Southerland

“We’d like to get James going, there’s no question about that,’’. “I think he’s rebounding better. I think he’s playing better. I think he’s moving better. But, you know, we’d definitely like to get him going. I think it’d be important for us.’’

On Fab's play

“I thought Fab did a great job in the second half of changing shots, made some blocks and made a big difference in the outcome of the game. He’s the reason we got control of the game.”

After falling behind 18-5 what we changed

"We try to drive,". "We're not shooting great from the outside. … We've got to take it to the basket in those situations."

Looking ahead

“We expect them to be our two toughest games,” “It will give us a chance to really see how we are playing heading into the tournament.”

From SUA

Coach Boeheim Quotes

Scoop Jardine

On the run

“We were poised,’’ “You have to be (poised) in that moment. Basketball’s a game of runs. At any given point, we were going to make our run.’’

On the two plays that started the run (Dion's layup I his dish to CJ for an easy 2)

"We saw the ball go in for us,". "We made some defensive stops and the crowd got into it. You get confident as you see the ball go in for you."

On not closing game out

“I’m not happy at all,’’ “We have to be better. This is the time to do it.’’

On taking a punch & surviving

“You have to understand, we’re getting everybody’s best shot,’’ . “We’re everybody’s victory to try to get into the tournament, especially a team like South Florida. So it’s going to be tough. They played a tough game today. I’m just happy we got out with a win. That’s all that really matters.’’

On that 3 point play to go up 50-46

“I rejected the screen and I knew I had Gilchrist on an angle where I could go try to get fouled,’’ “When I got fouled, I was still in control to try to make the shot. I heard the whistle and I still tried to finish the shot.’’

On the importance of Kris Joseph

“He made winning plays. That’s why we go to him with the game on the line because he always delivers,” “I’ll call his number anytime.”

On the slow start

"I can’t even tell you," "We came out flat. We’ve been coming out like that, some games. Our offense has been really stagnant. We’re watching each other and we can’t be that way because teams are going to jump out on us early. We have to get better and we have to start now."

On our offensive mindset

“That’s our offense – driving to the basket. That’s what we’re great at,” “Today, we were getting a lot of body contact and getting to the line. That’s what we need. We want to get to that foul line. That’s extra points for us.” "We want to take it how it comes," "Today, it was inside."

On his mindset

“I’m just trying to make a play. I do a great job of putting pressure on the defense and today was no different".Coach called plays where I make plays for myself and others, and teams are really playing me the fast. I’m picking them apart, they watch me coming and there’s a lot to defend when I’m part of the play."

On the team looking to Kris & him

“Everybody is looking to Kris and me to be leaders and make those kind of plays,” “I don’t care what kind of game we have. We want the ball with the game on the line and we’re confident we came come through.”

On the offense

“Our defense has been good all year,” Our offense has to be better. We’re easy 60, 70, 80 point scoring team a game and we’re scoring 50. That’s not going to get it.”

On what Stan Heath said to him during the game

“Wow. He gave me a great compliment,”. “He said he didn’t know I was that good and I’m really the best guard in the league and nobody even talks about it.” “Yes, during the middle of the game,” “He said my freshman year, they didn’t play me at all. They didn’t even try to play me. And he said I’ve grown as a player. I respect that. “Mike Rice did it last week at Rutgers. During the game. It’s basketball, you know. Respect.”

On opposing teams game plans

"I think people are trying that Notre Dame tactic on us where Notre Dame slows it down. But the thing is, Notre Dame made shots. You have to make shots for that to work on us and you can't turn over the ball. We feed off that."

"They are trying to slow us down and get us out of our rhythm. They wait until there is 33, 34 seconds gone by on the shot clock before shooting then attack the offensive glass. We just have to be patient and keep cashing in the opportunities we get."

Kris Joseph

On those big, late drives to the hoop

“Basically, I was playing terrible the whole game but I was able to get some things done in the final stretch. . And they still had confidence in me, they told me that great players forget about their mistakes. Coach was very confident for me to come down and make plays when it really counted, so shout-out to them for that. ” “I got the iso, got my own rebound and a put-back, I think I did that two times in a row. That was big.”

“You just kind of force the issue a little bit, make the ref blow his whistle, give us a few calls,” “We just wanted to be aggressive. We couldn’t settle for outside shots, especially since we were only up 1 or 2 points. We wanted to drive the ball. That would give us a better opportunity for offensive rebounds or even a basket.” "We did a good job of that today."

On the teams mindset

We don't panic. We don't lose our confidence, no matter how much we might be struggling," "We have a lot of guys who can make plays and we believe it's all going to turn out right in the end."

Dion Waiters

About not closing game out

“We’ve got to do a better job of finishing teams,’’ “Once we get a big lead, we’ve got to close it out and don’t give them a chance to even get back in the game.’’

On going to the basket late in game

“You just drive the ball,”, “see if you get fouled or just try to finish.”

On the team scoring 5 in the first 10

"I was mad," "I was kind of upset, you know? Five points in 10 minutes? That’s kind of a disgrace."

"You’re going to have days like that, man," "You just have to get it going. And we got it going. That’s the biggest thing."

Blaming the uniform

"A lot of people might say the uniforms were a problem, but not me,". "How you come out and play has nothing to do with any uniform. Some people might think that, but they’re crazy if they do."

On being the only one not to wear the uniform sneaks & socks

"I love the uniforms, man," "You know, they’re a different flavor. Nice. But I didn’t go with the shoes. I went with the ‘Kobes.’ I gotta keep something basic. The jersey was nice enough, but I gotta keep my-socks-and-my-sneaks thing going on."

On USF

"It was a team that never quit," "They never gave up, they never lost hope when we went up 14. … I tip my hat to South Florida. They came out and played with a lot of heart."

On Kris' big plays

"grown-man scrappy plays."

On the start of the game

“You don’t want to get down like this,” “We have to come out and do a better job of running our offense.”

CJ Fair

On losing 47-35 lead

“We had them,’’ “A stop or two and I think we would have had them for good.’’

On Scoop & Kris late baskets

“They’re our leaders and they always set the pace,”“They’re our senior class. They know how to convert on plays. “We always believe they will make the big plays.”

On being down 13

"Just keeping our composure knowing that we're not out of this game," "And that's how we carried ourselves. We're just a play away from making a big run to get back in this game."

On punching the paint

"When the game's close, you don't want to just keep shooting jump shots," "You want to get into the thick of the defense."

Fab Melo

On the team scoring 5 in the first 10

"Weird," "Nothing was going in. You can’t figure it out. Things like that happen, I guess. But it was very weird."

On taking one for the team

“I like to take a charge,” “They get a foul and we get the ball. Whatever gets the stop is great.”

On not challenging the driving guard

“If I come up, he’s going to pass to the guy down low,”. “It’s tough. It’s a floater. I don’t know what to do sometimes.”

On continuing the run

“Our defensive intensity was really high to start the half, and we got some easy shots,”

From SUA

Player Quotes

USF Quotes

Coach Stan Heath

On the lack of free throws

“I was extremely disappointed with the way we were trying to get to the basket and play around the rim, that we couldn’t get to the free-throw line more often.”

On blowing the 13 point lead

"We were pissed,". "We thought we just kind of let it get away.""I loved the way we started out. We couldn't have written a better script," "But you knew. They're so good, they were going to make a run, it's inevitable.". You just hoped it wasn't as long."
What he was thinking with the big lead

"But you knew — they're so good — that they were going to make a run,. "You just hope it wasn't as long as what they did."

On Kris Joseph

“He’s very talented and his versatility is I think his biggest strength,” “I think we did a good job of taking away his 3-point shot and maybe our length is something he doesn’t see as much. I was impressed with the way he fought.”

On SU

That's a great basketball team. They're so talented,"

On his zone counter move in the second half

"I thought we did a better job of playing in the paint, dribble penetrating,"

On his team

"We're not the highest-scoring team in the country. We've built our team around our defense," "But that kind of a lull offensively, yeah, like, `C'mon guys, we've got to do it.' But I don't get down on my guys especially when they're trying and giving a great effort."

After the game

"It's a game of momentum," "I like the way we were in the locker room, we were disappointed,they couldn't find a way to win the game " "We thought we just let it get away. We didn't think we played our `A' game. Too many sloppy turnovers." "But we're leaving here with our heads high. . We'll let everybody else figure out if we passed the eyeball test."

Summing it up

"I'm proud of the way our guys fought back in the second half, but we know we didn't play our game tonight," "We can grow a lot from this and now we need to get back to business and get a win at home on Sunday,"

Anthony Collins

On the Bulls downfall

"We started turning the ball over a little bit, and we couldn't get the ball inside. You know they're at home and they're going to make a run. You just try to weather it,"

On SU's Zone

"They are long, a long team. They covered up a lot of ground," "We see zones, but they are a different type of zone."

Toarlyn Fitzpatrick

On the difference in the game

"We had a lot of easy shots around the rim we just didn't finish," "If we can get a couple of those gimme layups to fall, this game looks a lot different."

On the Bulls

"We believe we're a good team. We thought we had something to prove,"

On SU's Zone

"They packed it in, cheated to the shooter's side," "They re-adjusted. We had to re-adjust, too. It just took us longer to do so."

food for thought right here. Summing it up

"They made a great run to start the game and then we made a great run. Then we got up fourteen and Brandon Triche made a bad turnover and missed three plays. He tried to make three plays which was good, he was aggressive. He didn’t make any of the three. The game never gets out of 14. Basketball is a game. They didn’t squander anything. We didn’t squander anything. It’s the way the game is played. You make a run, they make a run, we make a run. The key is you having more than them.”That’s just the game, that’s the way it is, the way it always has been, nothing more than that.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom