USF sponsored motion to consider UCF for Big East expansion | Syracusefan.com

USF sponsored motion to consider UCF for Big East expansion

DomeStranger

All Conference
USF sponsored motion to consider UCF for Big East expansion

It's pretty apparent that UCF is headed to the BEC under any circumstance and this is what got it done. I only wished it happened sooner as I would have enjoyed seeing SU in Orlando this year.

It was nice to see USF get behind UCF instead of blocking them. They should stick together through all of this and may end up being a nice package deal for a better conference down the road. If they play every year for 20 years they could have quite the rivalry going.

USF doesn't have a mid-major mentality that Villanova has. They know that being in the same conference together could build a really great rivalry. They also know it gives the BE a slightly bigger piece of the Florida pie.

More cynically, USF is in the most desperate situation without being on anyone's radar, so they'll swallow their pride to try to save the BE.

Probably a combination of the two.

UCF should have been added back in 2003 along with USF.

I guess it's better late than never for the Big East, but even if the hybrid made sense back in 2003 the league should have added two all-sports teams before bringing on DePaul and Marquette.