UVA is our best shot at an upset | Syracusefan.com

UVA is our best shot at an upset

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
They play good D but they don't play high pressure in your face D. NC State, Louisville, and even Clemson will pressure Frank and our guards all day. We are not beating UNC or Duke so we need BC, WF and one more and I think match up wise UVA is our best shot. Jerome has a balky back. Guy has to guard someone, and OB needs to at least play even with Hunter.

Not scared of NC State or Louisville. We can win those. People need to enjoy the game in front of them. Way too much hemming and hawing about the remaining schedule.
It's really odd to see so many people projecting what will happen in the future based on a team's last game, and as if it were the only basketball game they had ever seen.

It will come down to 3's. UVA's defense doesn't allow much dribble penetration and we know we have no post game. Gotta move the ball and hit our jumpers.

UVA will obviously rely heavily on the deep ball. Gotta extend the zone and just deal with Hunter at the rim with our size advantage, one on one. When he gets the ball inside, we can't collapse on him or they'll kill us. 2's by Hunter are better than 3's by Jerome or Guy.

Of course, we can beat these guys in transition but that would blow this team's mind.

As an FYI, Kihei Clark, FR, #0, 5'9", has come off the bench to be our on-ball pressure defender. He started the Miami game because of Jerome's back problem. We're not continuously in the guards' faces, but we can play tighter on the ball when we need/want to do it.

It will come down to 3's. UVA's defense doesn't allow much dribble penetration and we know we have no post game. Gotta move the ball and hit our jumpers.

UVA will obviously rely heavily on the deep ball. Gotta extend the zone and just deal with Hunter at the rim with our size advantage, one on one. When he gets the ball inside, we can't collapse on him or they'll kill us. 2's by Hunter are better than 3's by Jerome or Guy.

Of course, we can beat these guys in transition but that would blow this team's mind.

jb may extend the zone, but he'll wait till uva makes 7 of their first 10 threes and we're losing 25-10

They play good D but they don't play high pressure in your face D. NC State, Louisville, and even Clemson will pressure Frank and our guards all day. We are not beating UNC or Duke so we need BC, WF and one more and I think match up wise UVA is our best shot. Jerome has a balky back. Guy has to guard someone, and OB needs to at least play even with Hunter.

Upset would be nice but we need to win all the games that we are supposed to win in the next eight games. IMO there are three games we should win, Wake Forest, Clemson and BC.

I think we're going to have trouble topping 55 points against the HACKLINE defense. The zone is gonna have to be phenomenal to beat Virginia. I don't really see it.

This X 100, UVA ran us out of the building last year and this years version of that team is even better. I wouldn't set my expectations high for that game.

We can beat anyone

We could lose all those games

does virginia not play pressure D this year? thats a change from years past.

does virginia not play pressure D this year? thats a change from years past.
On occasion after a basket, we'll pick up the guard near the foul line to make them work a bit more to get across midcourt, rather than just let them walk the ball up. Some call it a "soft press". Usually it's a triangle with Hunter on the ball. Clark, the freshman guard, is used to make the point guard work harder when the opponent is on offense. He tries to work himself in a bit tighter to the ball than Jerome or Guy will.

On occasion after a basket, we'll pick up the guard near the foul line to make them work a bit more to get across midcourt, rather than just let them walk the ball up. Some call it a "soft press". Usually it's a triangle with Hunter on the ball. Clark, the freshman guard, is used to make the point guard work harder when the opponent is on offense. He tries to work himself in a bit tighter to the ball than Jerome or Guy will.
In the games I have seen you have not pressured the ball with the intensity in the half court or full court that other teams have this year. Still a great D don't get me wrong, but not the kind of beat you up stuff that always bothers us. I think you guys scare me more in carving us up with Hunter being Hunter and Jerome and Guy doing their thing.

jb may extend the zone, but he'll wait till uva makes 7 of their first 10 threes and we're losing 25-10
But we will completely shut down the foul line jumper with those triple teams, so there is that.

Not scared of NC State or Louisville. We can win those. People need to enjoy the game in front of them. Way too much hemming and hawing about the remaining schedule.

just worried about stopping mr purple hair on BC

In the games I have seen you have not pressured the ball with the intensity in the half court or full court that other teams have this year. Still a great D don't get me wrong, but not the kind of beat you up stuff that always bothers us. I think you guys scare me more in carving us up with Hunter being Hunter and Jerome and Guy doing their thing.
Totally agree. We usually pick it up for a little bit (usually for a possession or two in the defensive end) and then go back to our normal D. Our D is really designed to make people work harder for their shot rather than trying to get steals, like Shaka Smart's was designed to do.