UVA vs High Point | Syracusefan.com

UVA vs High Point

orange79

Internet Sleuth
7:09 left in the game, High Point scores on an empty net to take a 13-12 lead.

UVA Down 14-12 with 2 min left despite dominating at the X and High Point turning it over a boatload.

Longstick goal on a break puts HP up 14-12 with 2:02 left.

UVA ball 12.3 seconds left, High Point had a chance to run out the clock but turned it over.

HP holds on 14-13.

I'm pretty sure High Point has now clinched the 3 seed in the ACC Tournament.
1550531518957.gif

HP are legit, I think they have the best goalie in the country!

I like High Point a lot but man they had some ridiculous turnovers that probably should have cost them.
1st time I've seen UVA this season and they pretty much look exactly like they have the last few seasons.

I like High Point a lot but man they had some ridiculous turnovers that probably should have cost them.
1st time I've seen UVA this season and they pretty much look exactly like they have the last few seasons.
UVA is still undisciplined both offensively and defensively. The last 3 minutes of offense was Dox, Moore, and kraus trying to go 1 on 1. On defense they were attempting to double all over the field. They don't have an all-american goalie to bail them out of their mistakes. I was expecting more from them.

Were they that much worse under Dom Starsia? Maybe it will be a longer term rebuild like it has been at State Penn under Tambroni.

Were they that much worse under Dom Starsia? Maybe it will be a longer term rebuild like it has been at State Penn under Tambroni.
I guess I never really thought of UVA as having to rebuild. Starsia was bringing in top recruits: Conrad, Aitken, Krauss, Laviano, and maybe even Moore were his recruits. That's some foundation. But I see your point, maybe it is just a longer term project.

I guess I never really thought of UVA as having to rebuild. Starsia was bringing in top recruits: Conrad, Aitken, Krauss, Laviano, and maybe even Moore were his recruits. That's some foundation. But I see your point, maybe it is just a longer term project.

Tough to say they are rebuilding when they have one of the better top 6 offensively in the country. Game was super sloppy and it just seemed HP took advantage more often. That failed UVA clear and empty net goal late in the 4th was a killer.

UVA is a very interesting program to me right now. Loads of talent but cant seem to put things together when they need to. I still like Lars. I think if you were to pair him with the right defensive coordinator his teams would be scary good. Guy can recruit offensive talent, no questioning that. He would be my ideal candidate for Desko's replacement.

Were Conrad, Aiken and Kraus his recruits or Starsia? Not even sure about Moore. Think he may have inherited those stars. UVA is a attractive destination with inherent advantages such as academic standing, weather, town.

People who rank UVA high at the start of the year seem to think they are all of a sudden going to have a good defense despite it being poor in every recent year leading up to this one. The fact that tons of pundits did it again this year when they lost by far their best D-Pole was silly. High Point does seem to be legit though. Whoever held Kraus to just 1 assist is just as impressive as Nolting and their goalie.

The current UVA team looks a lot like the teams they had the last few years under Starsia save this current team has more O firepower. Faceoff an Goalie are good not great, D is bad (SSDM's are really bad) and while the top 6 can play with anyone there isn't much in the way depth outside of the starters though UVA is apparently trying to run the second mid line a little more this year. They have all but abandoned the run and gun style Lars implemented when he first got there. I have watched a majority of their last two games and SU has run just as much as they have. Unless its a fast break via a turnover or quick break out they look like any other team. If your a UVA fan I can understand the frustration because this team should be built to win now as they lose Conrad after this year and then a boatload the following year when Kraus, Aitken, Conners, Schwenk and others graduate. Not sure what the answer is for them, lots of O talent at least on paper but it seems some of the newer guy are struggling to breakthrough for PT and Lars is having to rely on mostly Starsias old recruits to carry the load. Guys like Appelt and Harris and others haven't been able to push for PT. There offense is going to win them some games alone and Schwenk Lasalla is a real nice 1-2 punch at X, but they have major issues on D that I don't think they can answer.

I think that was true. There was talk that the Huguely affair would hurt recruiting for 4-5 years. Recruiting seemed to be picking up again just when UVa canned Dom Starsia. I think Starsia would have done better the last 2 seasons.
Virginia does have their arrogant boosters like most schools, and Starsia's success had made them especially arrogant, and they came back and ate their master.

Virginia would be lethal if they could figure how to stop turning the ball over. Syracuse proved years ago that you can run and run and run without excessively turning the ball over and win games. Some of Virginia’s turnovers yesterday were just egregious. They flat out threw the ball out of bounds several times. Tiffany has said you have be willing to accept turnovers to play fast, but it has gotten ridiculous.

Virginia would be lethal if they could figure how to stop turning the ball over. Syracuse proved years ago that you can run and run and run without excessively turning the ball over and win games. Some of Virginia’s turnovers yesterday were just egregious. They flat out threw the ball out of bounds several times. Tiffany has said you have be willing to accept turnovers to play fast, but it has gotten ridiculous.
I don't think those are the kind of turnovers Tiffany was referring to. He said after the Lehigh game that they have to play smarter and cut down on errors. You can see that he is visibly distraught over some of their play. No poker face there. Agree with you though, pretty ridiculous and it's some of the veterans making bonehead plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom