Va Tech roasting UW's zone right now. | Syracusefan.com

Va Tech roasting UW's zone right now.

TinyManInside

Our only goal will be the western shores.
10-11 from three to start the game.

Hop switched to one possession of man to man and gave up an open three, then back to zone.

This is brutal to watch.

I know it's way early in his tenure, but Hop's team looks awful. Getting torched by VTech right now - Tech is 10-11 from 3pt range so far, and the 1st half isn't over yet. They look terrible offensively too.

I know it's way early in his tenure, but Hop's team looks awful. Getting torched by VTech right now - Tech is 10-11 from 3pt range so far, and the 1st half isn't over yet. They look terrible offensively too.
Meaningless. Hop is trying to make the best of a bad situation with this group. We won't know what he is as a coach for at least three years.

Meaningless. Hop is trying to make the best of a bad situation with this group. We won't know what he is as a coach for at least three years.

Definitely not saying it's a reflection on him as a HC. Just pointing out the obvious. Hope the UW fanbase is patient with him.

Hop has almost nothing to work with. Dickerson and Nowell are decent but that's it. I think Nahz Carter is going to be good eventually.

Like what Hops doing out there but they're getting throttled.

Just tuned in. Shooters being left WIDE open. Hopefully Hop makes the famous half-time adjustment.

Can’t get blood from a stone. I’m sure Hop will get some talent in there. If they can improve on last years win total and establish their system and a culture of hard work for the guys who will be back, this year will be a positive. The previous guy was losing with lottery picks.

Last edited:
Forwards are continuing to play way too high and getting beat on the corner three. Poor transition d. Most of the second half being played at the foul line. Just the way Buzz likes it.

Can’t get blood from a stone. I’m sure Hop will get some talent in there. If they can improve on last years win total and establish their system and a culture of hard work for the guys who will be back, this year will be a positive. The previous guy was losing with lottery picks.
Might be hard for him to get the talent, without winning a lot early, and then by being a zone team but without HoF credentials/street cred. I'm not sure a 'culture of hard work' is going to be a compelling sales pitch.

Might be hard for him to get the talent, without winning a lot early, and then by being a zone team but without HoF credentials/street cred. I'm not sure a 'culture of hard work' is going to be a compelling sales pitch.

We’ll see. He’s always been a strong recruiter who players like. That helps. He already got a recruit that we were after.

We’ll see. He’s always been a strong recruiter who players like. That helps. He already got a recruit that we were after.
I hope so. I really have nothing but positive feelings about him.

I'm actually surprised that Hop is all in with the zone.

10-11 from three to start the game.

Hop switched to one possession of man to man and gave up an open three, then back to zone.

This is brutal to watch.

Don't be, I'm not. Coaching is a fickle business and HOP is a smart man. He needs to win the program, administration, athletic department and fans over..easy out, look..Im bringing the zone in, our players are not designed for tis ATM...hang tight, we will right the ship, wins might be scarce, but we will improve under the zone...LOL, ok that's just my thinking.

By the way...Huge fan of HOP...

Not surprising at all, imo. Zone plays well for less talented teams like he currently has at UW, and he served under the “Zone-Master” his entire career.
You dance with who brung you!

Last edited:
Buzz did well at times against the JB zone and so it isn't surprising that a coach with real experience against the real deal with elite players playing it would have good success against a "spin off" version with sub par talent (in the first month of its existance no less). But 10 for 11 is just a fluke even if no defense is being played at all. Sounds like a perfect storm for Hop. It happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom