Variance in college hoops results: Marshall & S. Mississippi | Syracusefan.com

Variance in college hoops results: Marshall & S. Mississippi

BlackSquirrels

2nd String
How much information do we gain about one team being better than another in one basketball game? In my opinion, not very much. Variance plays a huge role in hoops over 40 minutes. As Exhibit A in my argument, I present this season's series between Marshall and Southern Mississippi.

January 23, 2013: Southern Miss 102 Marshall 46

March 5, 2013: Marshall 88 Southern Miss 84

This was not a case of injuries affecting outcomes because the box scores show that everyone who participated in the 56-point destruction played in last night's game.

The other thing I noticed while perusing last night's results is UNC-Asheville's loss in the first round of the Big South Conference tournament. They finished 10-6 in conference play this year and had a pretty slim chance of making the big dance, but now we know for sure that nobody will have to put up with those whiners this year.

How much information do we gain about one team being better than another in one basketball game? In my opinion, not very much. Variance plays a huge role in hoops over 40 minutes. As Exhibit A in my argument, I present this season's series between Marshall and Southern Mississippi.

January 23, 2013: Southern Miss 102 Marshall 46

March 5, 2013: Marshall 88 Southern Miss 84

This was not a case of injuries affecting outcomes because the box scores show that everyone who participated in the 56-point destruction played in last night's game.

The other thing I noticed while perusing last night's results is UNC-Asheville's loss in the first round of the Big South Conference tournament. They finished 10-6 in conference play this year and had a pretty slim chance of making the big dance, but now we know for sure that nobody will have to put up with those whiners this year.

I followed that entire Asheville game yesterday and was not sad to see them lose.

They were like 16-15 overall so they needed to win that tournament to have a prayer.