VB SU vs Miami 11/21/14 7:00 @ Miami | Syracusefan.com

VB SU vs Miami 11/21/14 7:00 @ Miami

CuseLegacy

Phil D'Abbraccio‏@PhilDAbb 6h6 hours ago
Nice story by @ChrisLibonati about SU volleyball player Melina Violas and her late grandfather's love for SU sports: http://bit.ly/1vkaM6B

Violas reflects on late grandfather, Syracuse career as senior season approaches end
111814_S_VolleyBall_AllieWahl_SP.jpg

Allie Wahl | Staff Photographer
Melina Violas (15) grew up in Los Angeles, but her family’s roots are in Canandaigua, New York, just an hour west of Syracuse. And her grandfather — who passed away on July 2, 2008 — was mostly the reason why she's at Syracuse.
By Chris LibonatiStaff Writer
16 hours ago

Melina Violas has a picture of herself at a young age in an orange wig next to her grandfather, Peter Violas. The two are posing at the bottom of the pullout bleachers at a Syracuse basketball game in the Carrier Dome. Violas, her father, uncle and grandfather all sat 20 rows up in the bleachers for the game.
Although she grew up in Los Angeles, her family’s roots are in Canandaigua, New York, just an hour west of Syracuse. A Buffalo Bills or Syracuse shirt was always in her closet.
And her grandfather — who passed away on July 2, 2008 — was mostly the reason why.
The Violas’ connection to central New York made coming to SU easier, even though Melina passed on offers to play elsewhere and had to make the Orange volleyball team as a walk-on. Violas earned a scholarship as a senior this season and, despite losing her libero spot to freshman Belle Sand amid Syracuse’s (8-18, 1-13 Atlantic Coast) season-long struggles, she reflects positively on her career at and her grandfather’s hand in it.
“I feel close to him every time I put on my Syracuse jersey, or every single time I get to go and have Thanksgiving with my family or to spend holidays with my family that I never got the opportunity to do,” Melina said. “Even though he’s not there, I know he’s still a part of it all.”
On July 2, 2008, Melina and her Santa Monica Beach club volleyball teammates were back at the hotel after finishing the third day of a four-day tournament. Melina’s parents, Guy and Shari Violas, went to the hotel’s pool to order Coronas.
Guy’s phone rang. It was his father’s phone number but his brother on the other end. He told him their father had a heart attack while he was at the Greater Rochester International Airport baggage claim and he might be dying. Guy went numb, ran to his hotel room with his wife and when the phone rang again, he learned Peter had died.
With puffy red eyes, Guy tried telling his daughter the news. But he couldn’t muster any words and when a teammate’s mother did so, a 14-year-old Violas dropped her head in her father’s shoulder.
Within an hour, the family started the 10-hour drive from Reno to Los Angeles, where they flew cross-country to Rochester, New York.
At Peter’s funeral, the poem “Footprints in the Sand” by Mary Stevenson and footprints were printed on cards. To honor him, Melina had the footprints from the cards tattooed on her ribs.
“I felt like when he passed away, I didn’t really get the chance to become as close to him as I wanted to because he lived across the country,” Melina said.
Guy described his father as “the biggest Syracuse fan on the planet.” A native of Canandaigua, Peter’s fandom came from his proximity to SU and from guarding Jim Boeheim when the legendary basketball coach was playing for Lyons High School. For years, Peter kept stats for each basketball game he watched.
Peter’s sons wanted to go to SU, but couldn’t afford to. So Guy ingrained SU and sports into Melina from an early age. When she had to make her decision between Colgate, Cornell and Syracuse, it was an easy one.
Midway through Melina’s freshman season, Syracuse fired head coach Jing Pu and hired current head coach Leonid Yelin before her sophomore season. Despite the coaching switch, she stuck with the program.
“As a walk-on, I never felt she was doing less and asking for something easy because she’s (a) walk-on because she’s not on scholarship,” Yelin said. “She’s a hard-working kid, she did everything like everyone else.”
Nine of Melina’s fellow freshmen joined the program in 2011, but only four reached their sophomore years at SU and only two reached their junior years.
Despite starting 18 games last year, Melina didn’t get a scholarship until this season, which has been a difficult one for her. She’s made 44 reception errors in 26 games, five more than 39 in 30 games last year.
Kathryn Metherell, Guy’s mother, has never missed a home match and would bring pom-poms to cheer on her granddaughter, then soothe Melina by taking her out to dinner after.
The volleyball team used to throw mini-volleyballs to the crowd at home games and Melina would always throw the ball to her grandmother — and each one is still in the trunk of Metherell’s car.
And despite SU’s and her personal struggles, she decides to look at her positive accomplishments with the program. Volleyball has not only brought her closer to her grandmother, but her grandfather too.
“I know that my grandfather is always with me,” Melina said, “and I know that he is always supporting me in everything I do and he’s always looking down on me.”

Syracuse Athletics‏@Cuse 47m47 minutes ago
Welcome to the @CuseVB family Annie Bozzo! #OrangeNation http://bit.ly/1xqgDq1

Bozzo Joins 'Cuse Volleyball
Annie Bozzo will join the Orange in the spring in prep for the 2015 season
Can't Wait To Be An Orange
At 5-11, Bozzo was recruited by Division I schools as a setter and as a right side hitter. Due to graduating a semester early the Glenshaw, Pa., native will have the opportunity to compete for the starting setter job when she begins taking classes at Syracuse in the spring.

'Cuse Coaching Staff On Bozzo
"Annie is a very dynamic athlete. Her experience as a hitter before she converted to a setter will give us many options on the court. She has a winning mentality and a fighter's attitude, which we could see from the first time we watched her play."

"She is a great athlete, naturally very quick and explosive, which will allow her to focus more on her development as a setter, the leader of an offense. We are very excited for her to join our team this spring. The time will give her a whole off-season to work with the hitters and develop in preparation for next season."

Why Bozzo Chose Syracuse
"I chose Syracuse because I felt a great bond with coaches, I love the campus, and the academics are great. After meeting the team, I am even more excited to go up in the Spring."

Setting Syracuse For Success
A four-year starter for the Renaissance Volleyball Club, Bozzo has continued to thrive at the high school level. In her first two seasons with the club it was the sectional runner-up and finished ninth in the district. In her final two seasons she led her team to sectional championships with a 14-2 record last season and a 17-1 record in 2014. As a junior her club finished fourth in the district and the team finished fifth her senior season.

Bozzo has accumulated no shortage of individual accolades as well, earning First Team All-Section honors all four years. Her final two seasons she was honored with First Team All-District honors after earning third and second team status her freshman and sophomore seasons respectively. She also graduates with All-State honors with a shot at the award again this season.

The signee also served as the team captain all four years and is a two-time team MVP. Bozzo has improved every year she has played, improving her assists per set average from 7.5 as a freshman to 8.6 as a senior. Similar to current setter, Gosia Wlaszczuk, Bozzo is a dual-threat averaging 4.3 kills per set. Her serve has given her opponents difficulty as she averages 1.3 service aces per set.

An Athlete And A Scholar
When she's not competing, she's still active on and off the court giving back to her community. She is a volunteer coach and camp instructor for youth volleyball, basketball and soccer programs. She is also part of Key Club, a group of volunteers making monthly visits to nursing homes, community breakfasts and projects within her district.

Syracuse Athletics‏@Cuse 47m47 minutes ago
Welcome to the @CuseVB family Annie Bozzo! #OrangeNation http://bit.ly/1xqgDq1

Bozzo Joins 'Cuse Volleyball
Annie Bozzo will join the Orange in the spring in prep for the 2015 season
Can't Wait To Be An Orange
At 5-11, Bozzo was recruited by Division I schools as a setter and as a right side hitter. Due to graduating a semester early the Glenshaw, Pa., native will have the opportunity to compete for the starting setter job when she begins taking classes at Syracuse in the spring.

'Cuse Coaching Staff On Bozzo
"Annie is a very dynamic athlete. Her experience as a hitter before she converted to a setter will give us many options on the court. She has a winning mentality and a fighter's attitude, which we could see from the first time we watched her play."

"She is a great athlete, naturally very quick and explosive, which will allow her to focus more on her development as a setter, the leader of an offense. We are very excited for her to join our team this spring. The time will give her a whole off-season to work with the hitters and develop in preparation for next season."

Why Bozzo Chose Syracuse
"I chose Syracuse because I felt a great bond with coaches, I love the campus, and the academics are great. After meeting the team, I am even more excited to go up in the Spring."

Setting Syracuse For Success
A four-year starter for the Renaissance Volleyball Club, Bozzo has continued to thrive at the high school level. In her first two seasons with the club it was the sectional runner-up and finished ninth in the district. In her final two seasons she led her team to sectional championships with a 14-2 record last season and a 17-1 record in 2014. As a junior her club finished fourth in the district and the team finished fifth her senior season.

Bozzo has accumulated no shortage of individual accolades as well, earning First Team All-Section honors all four years. Her final two seasons she was honored with First Team All-District honors after earning third and second team status her freshman and sophomore seasons respectively. She also graduates with All-State honors with a shot at the award again this season.

The signee also served as the team captain all four years and is a two-time team MVP. Bozzo has improved every year she has played, improving her assists per set average from 7.5 as a freshman to 8.6 as a senior. Similar to current setter, Gosia Wlaszczuk, Bozzo is a dual-threat averaging 4.3 kills per set. Her serve has given her opponents difficulty as she averages 1.3 service aces per set.

An Athlete And A Scholar
When she's not competing, she's still active on and off the court giving back to her community. She is a volunteer coach and camp instructor for youth volleyball, basketball and soccer programs. She is also part of Key Club, a group of volunteers making monthly visits to nursing homes, community breakfasts and projects within her district.
OK - who else read this as 'Bozo joins 'Cuse Volleyball' the first time they read it?
bozo.jpg

Syracuse Athletics‏@Cuse 41m41 minutes ago
We can't wait for next year when All-American, Santita Ebangwese puts on that @CuseVB uniform! http://bit.ly/11DAfLk

Volleyball Lands Santita Ebangwese
Coach Yelin adds an Under Armour All-American to his freshman class in 2015
It's "Tita Time"
Coach Yelin can't be more excited for one of the Nation's finest seniors to join his squad in 2015. Santita Ebangwese, referred to by her teammates as "Tita Time", recently earned an honor only 24 high school seniors can say they've received. The middle blocker from nearby Rochester, N.Y., is an Under Armour All-American and will take a trip to Oklahoma to compete in the Final Four.

'Cuse Coaching Staff On Ebangwese
"Santita is a great athlete. She has experience playing for very good high school and club volleyball programs. She is a state champion in both volleyball and basketball, you don't get that very often. She was just honored as First Team Under Armour All-American."

"She will be a great addition to our team offensively as she has a great slide attack. Santita has a great winning mentality while also being a very positive teammate on the court, one of those players it's just fun to watch. And of course we couldn't be more excited to have a local kid."

Why Ebangwese Chose Syracuse
"The aspect that made me choose Syracuse is the fact that the school is a highly accredited institution and the girls on the team are very welcoming. In addition, I love the campus and the school spirit. I cannot wait to attend Syracuse University next year."

Joining The 'Cuse Block Party
Already one of the best blocking teams in the country adds another highly touted middle blocker to play alongside one of the top blockers in the conference, Leah Levert. The two will give opposing hitters a handful for years to come as Levert will be a sophomore next season.

Ebangwese has taken her play to another level as she has tallied 101 of her 267 career blocks and 256 of her 583 kills just this season, ultimately awarding her with First Team All-American status. Over the course of her four years she has been consistent with a .335 hitting percentage and hit .364 in 2014.

The captain has earned First and Second Team All-County, First Team All-State and All-Tournament honors in her career to go along with her national status.

All She Does Is Win
With all her individual success brings team dominance along with it. In four years she has led the Pittsford Sutherland volleyball team to a 121-11-2 record under head coach Matt Glover. The dominant four-year run includes state championships in her sophomore, junior and senior seasons. She has led her basketball team to a 47-18 record in the last three years including a state championship last year with a record of 24-2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom