Very impressed with their steady play. | Syracusefan.com

Very impressed with their steady play.

SBU72

All Conference
Considering how young and/or inexperienced this team is, they played with a lot of confidence even when they were down after the long 3. During crunch time there were 2 freshmen, 1 soph, 1 inexperienced jr and 1 jr.

Would really like to see Geno get his legs SU ready, be it physically in shape or mentally alined. Having a 3rd experienced guard would realy help. Have to believe he would be in there in place of MD in situations like last nights final minute.

Would really like to see Geno get his legs SU ready, be it physically in shape or mentally alined. Having a 3rd experienced guard would realy help. Have to believe he would be in there in place of MD in situations like last nights final minute.
Small sample but Geno did look like a deer in headlights out there last night.

Yup but it did take Gillan almost a third if the schedule to understand the zone. Thr problem of bringing in 5th years.
I’m more concerned that he seems like a deer in headlights on offense when we don’t run a lot of complicated sets. I see some quickness and a decent handle but the game seems to be too fast for him at this level.

I’m more concerned that he seems like a deer in headlights on offense when we don’t run a lot of complicated sets. I see some quickness and a decent handle but the game seems to be too fast for him at this level.
He played 2 seasons in the B1G.

This is what I see as well. Maybe it will just take some time to get him acclimated to this level of play again.

He's a good shooter, I'd rather he just space the floor. Seems like he's doing too much, we already have 3 guys who can attack the basket from the perimeter.

Again, looking back at Gillian, his overall game seem to suffer until he acklamated to JB's system. Being phyiscally unable to practice for a while probably didn't help either. Lets see how he does as conference play apporaches/begins. I mean its not like JB would ride 2 guards into the ground during a season!

Helps having guards who can make plays when things are tight and the game is on the line. Huge advantage in college basketball.

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago. In CBB, you have to have good guard play. All the NC those Connecticut doggies had were all with upper clansman guard. As much as I don't like the -UConnies I do appreciate how they were able to win NCs. I've said for years we have to have guards in the pipeline. It looks like FH and TB now are filling that purpose. Our guard numbers were amazing against Maryland:

TB: 18 points, 3-for-3 from the field, clutch 3, and 2-for-3 from the line

FH: 15 points, 7 steals, 10 assists, and he played all 40 minutes.

I'm not yet saying this team is NC caliber. I will be just happy if they make the NCAA tournament. But what I am saying the way the Orange are going to have success this season all starts with good guard play from our Sophomore and Junior guards.