Villanova | Syracusefan.com

Villanova

br801

Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner Hoops Leading Scorer
What would this place look like if SU ever experienced a season like they are having?

IMO, Jay Wright is as good a young coach as there is and they can't compete right now.

Just makes me appreciate our program's consistent excellence all the more.

What would this place look like if SU ever experienced a season like they are having?

IMO, Jay Wright is as good a young coach as there is and they can't compete right now.

I'm surprised nobody commented on this. Each time I see Nova lose, I think the same thing. In 35 years, we've never had this type of season, not even close. Our worst 2-3 seasons and we win the BET (with Leo) and make the NIT with a "good seed". Wright was the hottest name, hottest recruiter and in a city that had a lot of current/future talent, all looking at hometown Nova.

maybe Jay Wright is not "as good a young coach as there is".

I'd discussed this in another thread, but Jay Wright's stock was sky high following his final four appearance in 2009. But Nova's been on a steady 3 year decline since then. This isn't something that's happened overnight.

His career arc seems to have a bit of "Ben Howland" to it. A short window of phenominal success that could not be sustained. Some will say this has to do with a lack of recruiting. Others (myself included) believe his heavily guard oriented system is to blame.

Had Jay left Nova in 2009, he would've had his choice of any job in the country. But that ship has sailed. I could easily see Jay leaving the Big East for the Illinois job.

I think it would depend on the circumstances. If we were a young team that fought but couldn't get over the hump in a game, then level headedness might win out. If they were a team that went through the motions (2002) then they would deserve most of the criticism they received.

I think nova will be fine next year and get back to at least the bubble. If I was a nova fan I would be more concerned with the collapses the last two years than this year. These things happen to lost programs, fortunately not ours in 41 years.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I think there was a thread about this maybe a week ago. His last couple of big recruiting classes haven't panned out. I don't think he has very good players. Wayns is pretty good, Yarou has regressed, Cheek was overhyped and is just ok, Pinkston looks heavy, Armwood wasn't very good and transferred, etc.

I'd discussed this in another thread, but Jay Wright's stock was sky high following his final four appearance in 2009. But Nova's been on a steady 3 year decline since then. This isn't something that's happened overnight.

His career arc seems to have a bit of "Ben Howland" to it. A short window of phenominal success that could not be sustained. Some will say this has to do with a lack of recruiting. Others (myself included) believe his heavily guard oriented system is to blame.

Had Jay left Nova in 2009, he would've had his choice of any job in the country. But that ship has sailed. I could easily see Jay leaving the Big East for the Illinois job.

Don't you think it's possible he just wanted stay and wasn't holding out for a bigger check? As someone who lives in Philly I have to say Nova seems like a sweet job. You have the ability to recruit in a nice conference in a talent-rich area at a school with decent tradition, and all with very little pressure. I mean the team's struggles will be the 297th topic on the local radio today well behind Andy Reid, the Flyers Goalie, Roy Oswalt, and Dwight Howard trade rumors.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Jay Wright in the least for staying in the Big East in 2009. Young coach coming off a final four run playing in the strongest conference in America. Add this to the reasons you give and it'd take mountains of cash to move away from that...

But hindsight being 20/20, you gotta wonder if he would've moved if he could foreshadow the slide he's been on the past few years.

Don't you think it's possible he just wanted stay and wasn't holding out for a bigger check? As someone who lives in Philly I have to say Nova seems like a sweet job. You have the ability to recruit in a nice conference in a talent-rich area at a school with decent tradition, and all with very little pressure. I mean the team's struggles will be the 297th topic on the local radio today well behind Andy Reid, the Flyers Goalie, Roy Oswalt, and Dwight Howard trade rumors.

Yeah, I agree. Nova was and is a great job. I wouldn't even call Pitt a power when Howland was there. I'll be interested to see how Nova plays next year.