Virg-nc st finish | Syracusefan.com

Virg-nc st finish

upperdeck

Living Legend
so i ask . you are up 2 with .9 to go.. only chance is for NC st to miss and tip it in..

What is to stop Virginia committing a lane violation and jumping up and catching the ball for goaltending eliminating the tip in chance?

would they call a T of some kind?

so i ask . you are up 2 with .9 to go.. only chance is for NC st to miss and tip it in..

What is to stop Virginia committing a lane violation and jumping up and catching the ball for goaltending eliminating the tip in chance?

Doesn't a goaltending call equal the result of a tip in?

You shoot the free throw again when a lane violation happens .

only if you miss..
That would go for goaltending too. The goaltend would count as 1 point and they would get another shot... there’s a rule for that actual situation.

The question is what happens if UVA intentionally steps in the lane during a FT and grabs/swats the attempt before it goes in? NC State would shoot another FT for each violation and no time would come off the clock. There'd be no benefit.

edit: That's the best case scenario for UVA. If the goaltend means they'll count the basket, then the lane violation also grants NC State another FT. So NC State would get a point and a crack at another point. They'd get another FT regardless. Whether or not the 'goaltend' after the lane violation results in a point for NC State is the question I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question is what happens if UVA intentionally steps in the lane during a FT and grabs/swats the attempt before it goes in? NC State would shoot another FT for each violation and no time would come off the clock. There'd be no benefit.

edit: That's the best case scenario for UVA. If the goaltend means they'll count the basket, then the lane violation also grants NC State another FT. So NC State would get a point and a crack at another point. They'd get another FT regardless. Whether or not the 'goaltend' after the lane violation results in a point for NC State is the question I guess.
you can enter the lane once the ball has left the shooter's hand. So new scenario. What if UVA managed to goal tend without committing a lane violation?

you can enter the lane once the ball has left the shooter's hand. So new scenario. What if UVA managed to goal tend without committing a lane violation?

I had a vague memory of a Kentucky team trying to pull this off. Turns out I was right. The result is a Technical.

i will really have to re-read the rule to see where the extra free throw comes from. I know they get a FT try if they miss.

I haven't found a case study yet though that allows for another FT plus the good one.

now the NBA does have a rule, that if you hit the ball before it hits the rim, its good and additional shot is rewarded as a penalty.

but if the ball hits the rim and then goaltended its just good and no penalty shot.

This is an NCAA question though which is why i was trying to remember if a T was to be called.

just found a wilipedia statement that the NCAA says its a T which is what i was wondering, says its a Mikan rule from 1944

I think both those teams are going to create major problems for us. NC State defends hard and plays very hard.

He missed the one he needed to make and made the one he needed to miss.

I think both those teams are going to create major problems for us. NC State defends hard and plays very hard.

No doubt, but I think all of our remaining games will be a grind.

UVA reminds me a lot of the 'ol Pitt teams under Howland and Dixon in the way they play D. They are very physical, and the refs appear to allow them to get away with a lot of bumping, grabbing, hard hedging, etc. In the first half, Diakite for UVA went out between the circles and hedged hard against I believe Beverly and bumped him so hard that he literally hurt his hip on the play and had to come out for a bit. No foul was called on Diakite.

I am thinking of flying down for this one and going home on the 6am so I don't miss work.

Anyone else thinking of attending and doesn't have tickets yet? Would prefer to not sit alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom