Virginia Tech postgame | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Tech postgame

Jesse at times is a total non factor on both ends of the court. His lack of defensive presence at times is frustrating.
Jesse is odd. I have to question if he really loves Basketball. Hes good but he disappears too many times.

JB saw it last season and realized we needed to mix zone and man-to-man this season, and it seemed like he was serious. And then, of course, he reverted to his conservative, stubborn ways. He just won’t roll the dice and take any chances or do anything different. And how in the H did we not press at all in the first half?
Yeah, it’s crazy. What are we clinging to? We’re going to lose anyway. Try something else.

Yeah, it’s crazy. What are we clinging to? We’re going to lose anyway. Try something else.
Take all the chances vs UVA. What do you have to lose against them? You have to make the other team uncomfortable and speed them up. Throwing the press on in the first half is a no brainer. Not saying we do it all the time but it’s worked to change the momentum of games this season almost every time.

Take all the chances vs UVA. What do you have to lose against them? You have to make the other team uncomfortable and speed them up. Throwing the press on in the first half is a no brainer.
We won’t, and we’ll be losing by 15 at halftime.

Jesse is one of the very best players in the ACC. He ranks first in rebounds, blocks (by nearly double 2nd place), 3rd in defensive WAR, 2nd in FG%, 2nd in defensive rating, 2nd PER, and not in the top 20 in usage %.

Jesse is the best player on this team by pretty much any stat and if he’s not in the game it’s going to be a lot uglier. Question his role on a mediocre team with an outdated offense and defense philosophy but you can’t question his heart. I’m not sure what people expect out of a guy who has to cover the paint & corner threes and is the 3rd or 4th guy on offense despite being incredibly efficient.

And people wonder why high end center recruits don’t want to play at SU. Sheesh.

Jesse is one of the very best players in the ACC. He ranks first in rebounds, blocks (by nearly double 2nd place), 3rd in defensive WAR, 2nd in FG%, 2nd in defensive rating, 2nd PER, and not in the top 20 in usage %.

Jesse is the best player on this team by pretty much any stat and if he’s not in the game it’s going to be a lot uglier. Question his role on a mediocre team with an outdated offense and defense philosophy but you can’t question his heart. I’m not sure what people expect out of a guy who has to cover the paint & corner threes and is the 3rd or 4th guy on offense despite being incredibly efficient.

And people wonder why high end center recruits don’t want to play at SU. Sheesh.
He is very good but sometimes some games he disappears

His dribbling needs work. It limits his post-up game. It also makes me uncomfortable to see him dribbling 15-20 feet from the rim so often. If he bounces it more than 3 times, somebody's going to steal it from him.

I thought Torrence was pretty good for us, too. He seems to be playing faster. Gives us a jolt, even if he is sometimes our 1st or 2nd guy upcourt.

Here’s a concept. Run a combination of press and zone. Don’t do the same thing every possession until there is 8 minutes left in the game down double digits.

Look at football. Do defenses run the same play over and over and over? It’s just not sustainable. Change it up.

Even last year Jim started to go back and forth with the 1-3-1 and 2-3 a little bit. I think we saw that for a 5 minute stretch early in the year and haven’t seen it again this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom