Vitale Debuts | Syracusefan.com

Vitale Debuts

SWC75

Bored Historian
Here is a clip of Dick Vitale's first ever ESPN broadcast. Play by play man Joe Boyle turns the mike over to him and never gets it back:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ale-35-years-ago-today-on-his-first-broadcast

At least he was talking about the game back then. You can see the impact he had. Boyle's flat delivery would put you to sleep. Listening to Vitale for the first time was like sticking your finger in to an electric socket. Too bad he became all about Dickie V.

Kind of unrelated, but Vitale loves him some SU. Says they're probably the best team in the country

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, he didn't stop talking back then either.

I see where Anthony Davis got his eyebrow look from as well.

he hasnt aged much

"Following his departure as coach of the Detroit Pistons, Scotty Connal gave Vitale his first TV opportunity at the then fledgling ESPN cable network. His first reaction to the job of broadcaster was "Absolutely no way. I know nothing about TV. I want to get back to where I belong and my spirit belongs." He was reluctant to accept the position but his wife Lorraine told him to "go on TV and have some fun", so Vitale accepted on a temporary basis until another coaching job became available. He called ESPN's first college basketball game on December 5, 1979, when DePaul defeated Wisconsin 90–77.[2] His first play-by-play partner was Joe Boyle."