WAC - What Happened? New Mexico St - the UConn of Mid-Majors | Syracusefan.com

WAC - What Happened? New Mexico St - the UConn of Mid-Majors

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
What has happened to the WAC. They seem to have taken the biggest beating from the conference shuffling.

I was looking at the scoreboard right now, and I saw New Mexico St playing Cal-Bakersfield in the WAC tourney. Then I looked at the rest of the WAC - Chicago St, Seattle, Utah Valley, Grand Canyon. New Mexico St was abandoned and left with rejects -- teams that were independents and unwanted. The conference is now bigger in area than the Old Big East. This is about as bad as defending a fast break with Sim Bhullar.

People that follow NCAA fairly deeply will realize the WAC used to have some nice mid-majors, that were scary on the 10-13 line.

Not sure if New Mexico St has a new home planned out... or how they got stuck with this.

2006 WAC (KP Rating)
30 Nevada
79 Utah St
91 Louisiana Tech
103 Hawaii
121 New Mexico St
133 Fresno St
150 Boise St
204 San Jose St
286 Idaho

Ok San Jose St and Idaho have sucked forever. But the top seven teams have been in the tourney the last 15 years (typically in the 11/13 seed area). Some have been a number of times. Nevada had a few nice tourney runs. New Mexico St and Utah St had nice runs, and have had good teams. Louisiana Tech and Boise St are fairly solid teams right now. I do beleive we played Hawaii as a 12/13 not that long ago.

2014 WAC
77 New Mexico St
191 Utah Valley
231 Cal St Bakersfield
239 Grand Canyon
242 Seattle
244 Idaho
273 Missouri Kansas-City
284 Chicago St
296 Texas Pan-American

I guess Idaho stuck around with the. I think the majority of the additions were not even in D1 during the 1990's.

This conference was close to the 10th best conference at times. If it wasn't for the SWAC it may be the worst conference now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom