Wagner observation | Syracusefan.com

Wagner observation

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Middle of the 2nd half - MCW, Fair and Coleman are all having bad games, and we are up 20. The defense is very good, although our rebounding could be better. Christmas is starting to put it together a bit. He's having an impact out there. Cooney makes me think - "this is like watching a young Gerry McNamara who knew where the weight room was."

Middle of the 2nd half - MCW, Fair and Coleman are all having bad games, and we are up 20. The defense is very good, although our rebounding could be better. Christmas is starting to put it together a bit. He's having an impact out there. Cooney makes me think - "this is like watching a young Gerry McNamara who knew where the weight room was."

Weight room, and knew how to drive/pass/launch.

Kid missed a couple good looks, but Cooney was pretty good today. Even better, he was very active on defense. Had a couple lapses, but tipped four or five passes and looked to get into transition very well. Good quasi-debut for him.

Huh?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, seemed like a good continuation of the sentence, but it came out incoherent as a first sentence of my own post.

Cooney looked like McNamara with weight-room access but also with great comfort as a drive-and-dish type. As some Delaware high-school game watchers noted, he's not just a shooter. Kid played a good all-around game today.

Huh?

Cooney shows the same scrappiness as Gerry, barging into the lane sometimes to go after loose balls, but Gerry looks like he never lifted weights in his entire life. Cooney is bulkier as a red shirt frosh than Gerry ever was.

Cooney shows the same scrappiness as Gerry, barging into the lane sometimes to go after loose balls, but Gerry looks like he never lifted weights in his entire life. Cooney is bulkier as a red shirt frosh than Gerry ever was.
If Cooney shows some of GMac's clutch shooting I'll be thrilled! He is at a slight disadvantage though. I can't see Cooney being our full-time floor general. At least not for the next 2 - 3 years, barring injuries.

If Cooney shows some of GMac's clutch shooting I'll be thrilled! He is at a slight disadvantage though. I can't see Cooney being our full-time floor general. At least not for the next 2 - 3 years, barring injuries.

I'll agree with that. Gerry hit more big shots than probably any SU player I can remember, and that's saying something. Pearl, Sherm, maybe. But he's right near the top, if not the very top.

Sorry, seemed like a good continuation of the sentence, but it came out incoherent as a first sentence of my own post.

Cooney looked like McNamara with weight-room access but also with great comfort as a drive-and-dish type. As some Delaware high-school game watchers noted, he's not just a shooter. Kid played a good all-around game today.

Gotcha.