Waiting on College Football News final rankings | Syracusefan.com

Waiting on College Football News final rankings

dinosaurbbq

2nd String
Again, its the only widely credited ranking of teams that includes those beyond the top 25 and given where we are as a program, I follow these rankings pretty closely.

Pre-bowl game, in the College Football News rankings, SU was up to #39 and Minnesota was at #25.
http://cfn.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./a.z?s=451&p=2&c=557948

In the Coaches Poll, Minnesota was #34. In the AP Poll and the Harris poll, Minnesota was #36. SU was not close to sniffing a vote in any of those polls.

I'm hoping the final end of season ranking puts SU somewhere in the 30-33 range but I'd guess 35 0r 36.

It matters, because next season's pre-season ranking by College Football News will undoubtedly start where this season left off for each team and then move teams around based on whether CFN writers feel each team is stronger or weaker than this year and by how much. My guess is CFN writers conclude that SU will be stronger next year than this year and that they keep up where we end up in the final rankings or move us up a spot or two. CFN rankings aren't official polls, but many people look at them nationwide and bettering the perception of SU nationwide is what we need. Also, as we all see every year, the teams that start higher in polls/rankings enjoy the fruits of that, rightly or wrongly, all season long barring a huge collapse (I'm looking at you Northwestern!). Finally, if we start off 3-0 with wins over Villanova, Central Michigan and Maryland, as I believe we will, and we start with a CFN ranking in the 30-35 range, we could have a CFN ranking in the top 25 when we play Notre Dame on 9/27 at Metlife. I'm looking forward to SU getting back into a Top 25 ranking for football in any nationally recognized poll or ranking system. It would be foolish to think that pollsters don't look at the other nationally recognized polls and ranking systems when filling out their own ballots, other than maybe the coaches' poll.

Again, its the only widely credited ranking of teams that includes those beyond the top 25 and given where we are as a program, I follow these rankings pretty closely.

Pre-bowl game, in the College Football News rankings, SU was up to #39 and Minnesota was at #25.
http://cfn. /a.z?s=451&p=2&c=557948

In the Coaches Poll, Minnesota was #34. In the AP Poll and the Harris poll, Minnesota was #36. SU was not close to sniffing a vote in any of those polls.

I'm hoping the final end of season ranking puts SU somewhere in the 30-33 range but I'd guess 35 0r 36.

It matters, because next season's pre-season ranking by College Football News will undoubtedly start where this season left off for each team and then move teams around based on whether CFN writers feel each team is stronger or weaker than this year and by how much. My guess is CFN writers conclude that SU will be stronger next year than this year and that they keep up where we end up in the final rankings or move us up a spot or two. CFN rankings aren't official polls, but many people look at them nationwide and bettering the perception of SU nationwide is what we need. Also, as we all see every year, the teams that start higher in polls/rankings enjoy the fruits of that, rightly or wrongly, all season long barring a huge collapse (I'm looking at you Northwestern!). Finally, if we start off 3-0 with wins over Villanova, Central Michigan and Maryland, as I believe we will, and we start with a CFN ranking in the 30-35 range, we could have a CFN ranking in the top 25 when we play Notre Dame on 9/27 at Metlife. I'm looking forward to SU getting back into a Top 25 ranking for football in any nationally recognized poll or ranking system. It would be foolish to think that pollsters don't look at the other nationally recognized polls and ranking systems when filling out their own ballots, other than maybe the coaches' poll.
Agreed. I speculated the same in my post after the Minnesota game. Nice to talk about the possibility of being ranked again. I believe the best we did during the DM era was to get up to something like #27, maybe just before the Great Collapse of 2011.

Agreed. I speculated the same in my post after the Minnesota game. Nice to talk about the possibility of being ranked again. I believe the best we did during the DM era was to get up to something like #27, maybe just before the Great Collapse of 2011.

Actually got up #26 after the Cincy win that year. Was super pissed we never cracked it. We will next year.

Actually got up #26 after the Cincy win that year. Was super pissed we never cracked it. We will next year.
Thanks, I knew we were close.

http://cfn. /a.z?s=451&p=2&c=557948

All you have to do is look at Mister basketball AP voter from South Carolina, this year, and the year we were one of the last undefeated, and still weren't in his TOP 5. His rational was we weren't rated highly to begin with, so he wasn't going to move us up regardless. That's why writers should be evaluated as to accuracy, and removed if to far from the norm in a particular year. That would help get rid of idiot's like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom