Wake up the echoes ... Field Turf comes to Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

Wake up the echoes ... Field Turf comes to Notre Dame

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...logo-has-been-installed-at-notre-dame-stadium

BtT9UB_CYAIGj_1.jpg

Reduce cost, sacrifice player safety.

You want to reduce football injuries?

Get rid of fake turf and really try to get rid of PED use.

By doing so, you will slow the game down, reduce the size of players and afford the appropriate cushioning.

By doing so, you will slow the game down, reduce the size of players and afford the appropriate cushioning.
Let's not forget eliminating the chop/cut blocks that some teams are notorious for.

I haven't seen studies, but I believe current field turf isn't any more dangerous than grass. Shoes don't get stuck in it like the old turf and the rubber pellets give it as much give as grass does. It could be argued that a a beat up field at the end of a season may be more dangerous.

I haven't seen studies, but I believe current field turf isn't any more dangerous than grass. Shoes don't get stuck in it like the old turf and the rubber pellets give it as much give as grass does. It could be argued that a a beat up field at the end of a season may be more dangerous.

I ain't no scientist, but I have played on both.

Field turf hurts more than grass and it is tougher on the legs.

But that's just my experience.

I ain't no scientist, but I have played on both.

Field turf hurts more than grass and it is tougher on the legs.

But that's just my experience.
From previous posts, I've assumed you're a few years past your playing days. When did you last play on turf?

From previous posts, I've assumed you're a few years past your playing days. When did you last play on turf?

I still play competitive soccer in the Philly area.

I don't have the balance or the strength I used to have so I'm on the ground far more than I would like.

I don't have the balance or the strength I used to have so I'm on the ground far more than I would like.

How is that different from any other soccer player? :p

How is that different from any other soccer player? :p

Well, the ones younger than I am - ten to fifteen years younger - seem to be stronger and have greater agility than I do.

And they seem to pull fewer muscles than I do!

Last edited:
I understand the reasons for field turf but places like Michigan and Notre Dame just look weird with it.

Michigan Stadium had astroturf for 30 years until they put grass back in the 90's. Then they realized why they switched in the first place since the field sits so far below grade that it wouldn't drain right and the field would fall apart later in the year.

Do you play on old style astroturf or new field turf?

I feel like michigan st either has or had field turf at one time

Do you play on old style astroturf or new field turf?

The new stuff with the tire rubber.

Hey, don't get me wrong, it's a heck of a lot better than AstroTurf or the stuff that used to be on Coyne Stadium, but it's not the same as grass, in my opinion.

The new stuff with the tire rubber.

Hey, don't get me wrong, it's a heck of a lot better than AstroTurf or the stuff that used to be on Coyne Stadium, but it's not the same as grass, in my opinion.
Fair enough.

Totally understand the reasoning. Still, this feels like (I assume since I was too young to know) when it was announced Wrigley would be getting lights to play night games.

Just doesn't feel natural, pun mostly not intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom