Walk-on time last night | Syracusefan.com

Walk-on time last night

Eric15

Living Legend
I know this is meaningless in the big scheme of things, but what the heck was Cooney doing at the end of the game last night dominating the ball with time running out? Why didn't he give the ball to Griffin Hoffmann sooner so he could make a play?

I was watching the game on my phone in an airport, so maybe I saw that incorrectly, but I just remember being annoyed by it.

Nope you saw it correctly. And Boeheim didn't put them in until there was 40 seconds left

Nope you saw it correctly. And Boeheim didn't put them in until there was 40 seconds left
He had them at the scorer's table much sooner, but there wasn't a stoppage in play.

And if you were looking at Hoffman, he had his hands up as in no, just hold it. The problem came when nobody fouled to get the clock stopped to get them in sooner. Once thaqt possession came, it was late and Hoffman was not open although Cooney wanted to pass it to him. He did at the last second as everyone was yelling for him to do so except Hoffman who was gesturing no no no.

And if you were looking at Hoffman, he had his hands up as in no, just hold it. The problem came when nobody fouled to get the clock stopped to get them in sooner. Once thaqt possession came, it was late and Hoffman was not open although Cooney wanted to pass it to him. He did at the last second as everyone was yelling for him to do so except Hoffman who was gesturing no no no.

That's good to hear. I didn't catch that. I just kept sitting there wondering what the hell Cooney was doing hogging the ball with 10 seconds left instead of passing it off to a walk-on. I knew Cooney was smarter than Paul Harris.

That's good to hear. I didn't catch that. I just kept sitting there wondering what the hell Cooney was doing hogging the ball with 10 seconds left instead of passing it off to a walk-on. I knew Cooney was smarter than Paul Harris.

Yea, the crowd and the bench are yelling pass pass pass and Hoffman appeared like he didn't want it (had a guy in his face) so Cooney I don't think knew what he should do. Looked kind of awkward.

You can also see Boeheim point out Hoffman in the corner to Cooney with about 5 secs left but the pass came too late.

what was the pt. spread last ? thought i heard -20. i tried to explain to the wife that the helter skelter walkon ball which the fans seem to find so amusing actually can drive a someone with a wager insane.

I was yelling for someone to foul so that the walkons could get in sooner. They sat at the scorer's table for about a minute of playing time.

I was yelling for someone to foul so that the walkons could get in sooner. They sat at the scorer's table for about a minute of playing time.

Hell, even the announcers were talking about that!

It wouldn't have hurt the team for JB to have put in the two senior walkons as Brandon and James were exiting. At that point, 3:30 or so to go, Depaul was not going to win the game.

There've been times when SU is up by so much that beginning to put the walkons in with as much as five minutes to go is not unthinkable. I mean, when the final score is a win by 36-50 pts, a walkon could get more than three minutes of PT.

kev