Warm up Preparation | Syracusefan.com

Warm up Preparation

hoopsupstate

Living Legend
I got to the game early last night and was disgusted with what I saw in warmups. Two guys were trying to make shots from the corner from behind the backboard and two others (starters) were taking shots from mid court. I’m not sure what this does to prepare you for the game. I didn’t see anyone take some foul shots. The total lack of organization and discipline was very evident. I’m not sure what the purpose is of having the assistant coaches on the floor. When I coached and went scouting, I could always learn a great deal about a team by the way they warmed up. Last night might be a reason SU starts games so slowly. Focus starts before the game starts.

I got to the game early last night and was disgusted with what I saw in warmups. Two guys were trying to make shots from the corner from behind the backboard and two others (starters) were taking shots from mid court. I’m not sure what this does to prepare you for the game. I didn’t see anyone take some foul shots. The total lack of organization and discipline was very evident. I’m not sure what the purpose is of having the assistant coaches on the floor. When I coached and went scouting, I could always learn a great deal about a team by the way they warmed up. Last night might be a reason SU starts games so slowly. Focus starts before the game starts.
Wrong board. Should be on basketball board not recruiting.

abesimpson.jpg

Jeez. That...sounds ridiculously scrubby.

You must have been there real early because that’s not pregame warmups. That’s just guys being chill before warmups even begin. I’ve seen plenty of them and what you say is true. There’s also guys who just sit on the bench listening to music. There’s guys that don’t even come out. There’s guys that chat with a fan they might know. They might say hello to a recruit visiting. It’s just nothing formal and not pregame warmups. I’ll also bet one of the guys taking half court shots was Hughes. He’s done it for 2 years.

Teams often goof around a little in the first warm-up. It's a good way to stay loose and quite common. If we're talking about the warmup that's like 10 or 15 minutes before the tip, the perceived lack of focus would be a problem.

Also, shooting FTs in warmups is probably not going to help much, if at all, in the game. Warmups are for getting the blood moving, not really to work on technique; that's stuff you do in practice, not stuff you rush through for 10 minutes before the game.

Edit: what bees posted, basically

You must have been there real early because that’s not pregame warmups. That’s just guys being chill before warmups even begin. I’ve seen plenty of them and what you say is true. There’s also guys who just sit on the bench listening to music. There’s guys that don’t even come out. There’s guys that chat with a fan they might know. They might say hello to a recruit visiting. It’s just nothing formal and not pregame warmups. I’ll also bet one of the guys taking half court shots was Hughes. He’s done it for 2 years.

Yeah, and the next time he gets the chance to shoot a meaningful full court shot in a game will be the first...wait. Never mind. I’ll shut up.

should open the game with walkons and have them hanson brothers the opposing starters

I’ve noticed that since Villanova was coming to the dome and watching Villanova it was like unbelievable compared to us

I think you’re right about this but the thing is a caller brought up today (I was not at the game) that during a promotion over half of our huddle was watching the promotion during a timeout and Florida State was fully engaged in their huddle and we were down double digits enough said

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you’re right about this but the thing is a collar brought up I was not at the game that during a promotion over half of our huddle was watching the promotion during a timeout and Florida State was fully engaged in their huddle and we were down double digits enough said

Which half of the huddle is the question. If it's the walkons and/or bench players who never get in, who cares?

I’ve noticed that since Villanova was coming to the dome and watching Villanova it was like unbelievable compared to us

Does the visiting team ever come out real early prior to warmups? Not sure I’ve ever noticed them when our guys are out there.

Does the visiting team ever come out real early prior to warmups? Not sure I’ve ever noticed them when our guys are out there.
Villanova has a system they all stretch with the high tech bands
They do many drills and
are in a structured system

Villanova has a system they all stretch with the high tech bands
do many drills and
are in a structured system

SU does stretching with bands. They also do structured drills during the actual warmup.

Don't know about every team, but Pitt was out real early.

in terms of huddle attention - we dress so many guys that they can't get close to the huddle. I have no idea why we dress more people than can fit in the front row of the bench.

Slow starts - haven't studied it but I'm assuming its because we take a lot of 3's early and if they don't fall things start slow.

I’ll also bet one of the guys taking half court shots was Hughes. He’s done it for 2 years.

His practice is working as evidenced when he nutted that 75 footer against Duke. Easy peazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom