Was Syracuse basketball hurt more than any other program by NBA early entries? | Syracusefan.com

Was Syracuse basketball hurt more than any other program by NBA early entries?

We are definitely one I'm the worst if not the worst in teams of players leaving early

A lot of programs have guys leave early, but I have never seen a program lose more guys who are barely nba prospects then us. You could make a strong case that neither battler or brissett get drafted.

Crazy article. Duke is not even mentioned ... and they lose Williamson, Barrett and Redish.

I do think they are considered more like Kentucky now than previously and just reloading with multiple players considered one and done players straight out of high school.

Oshae was too stiff for our system
There
Said it. Good luck.
Don’t care, we’re fine. #trustjamesarthur

Crazy article. Duke is not even mentioned ... and they lose Williamson, Barrett and Redish.

They obviously should have been on the list but the real issue is losing guys who are not high draft picks, guys who might be better served to stay in school and maximize their skills before presenting themselves to the NBA for judgement. The trend is actually for teams with players like that to win championships, not the teams with the one-and-doners.

There
Said it. Good luck.
Brissett only showed up as a fierce competitor on occasion. Most of the time he seemed timid and afraid to impose his will. He needed to get Boeheimed but he was a nice guy so I don't think JAB could do it to him.

We lost 2 guys who were inconsistent shooters, at best.
There are lots of reasons for those percentages that have nothing to do with talent (major PG issues, lack of inside balance, etc). So I refuse to throw shade on those guys ... great kids both of them who will be ambassadors for the program in the NBA, Europe or wherever they wind up. Tyus will have his sheepskin. Kid was a warrior. The pair represented 42% of our scoring. We need to wish them well and focus on climbing out of the offensive doldrums we've been in for the past 6-7 years.

Last edited:
There are lots of reasons for those percentages that have nothing to do with talent (major PG issues, lack of inside balance, etc). So I refuse to throw shade on those guys ... great kids both of them who will be ambassadors for the program in the NBA, Europe or wherever they wind up. Tyus will have his sheepskin. Kid was a warrior. The pair represented 42% of our scoring. We need to wish them well and focus on climbing out of the offensive doldrums we've been in for the past 6-7 years.

A lot of programs have guys leave early, but I have never seen a program lose more guys who are barely nba prospects then us. You could make a strong case that neither battler or brissett get drafted.

Sure but this is ground breaking territory Re those two everyone else before them has been rewarded with a 1st round selection prior to their abrupt NBA flameout.

The PAC 12 schools all get slammed like us look at Oregon they didn’t get one full year out of Louis King or Bol Bol.

Sure but this is ground breaking territory Re those two everyone else before them has been rewarded with a 1st round selection prior to their abrupt NBA flameout.

The PAC 12 schools all get slammed like us look at Oregon they didn’t get one full year out of Louis King or Bol Bol.
Ya but bol is a top ten pick.

I do think they are considered more like Kentucky now than previously and just reloading with multiple players considered one and done players straight out of high school.

Kentucky was unable to fully reload after their great teams of 2010 and 2012... I suspect it will be the same for Duke this year. They will still be good, but not as good.

I think Duke is the most overrated team in the country going into next year. This class doesn’t sniff some of their others talent wise and they still can’t shoot. Boogie Ellis would have helped that.

There
Said it. Good luck.
Brissett only showed up as a fierce competitor on occasion. Most of the time he seemed timid and afraid to impose his will. He needed to get Boeheimed but he was a nice guy so I don't think JAB could do it to him.
We lost 2 guys who were inconsistent shooters, at best.

I feel like this narrative of Brissett has gotten out of control -- dude struggled from the line, which was strange, and struggled from three. Wasn't the best offensive player we've seen but held his own defensively and was without question the best rebounder on the team.

Anyway, dude had some frustrating habits and frustrating results but the idea that he couldn't have improved in his junior year or that his contributions weren't absolutely essential to us making the tournament the past two seasons (and reaching the sweet 16 two seasons ago) is absurd. The idea that we won't miss him, especially if it was an improved version of Oshae (and if people want to argue that he wouldn't have improved, we've already seen him make FTs at a high clip for a full season and shoot the three extremely well for an entire ACC season two years ago. We also saw him test well at the elite camp and play well on the floor in at least one scrimmage).

I understand there were limitations, but we really don't know what we have in the incoming frosh yet, which leaves us with a front line of an undersized Marek at C, Hughes (who gets a free pass for the most part), who didn't rebound at all in ACC play, and Braswell who is promising but a complete unknown. Brissett returning probably would have come with more frustrating moments at times but absolutely would have helped next year's group.

I feel like this narrative of Brissett has gotten out of control -- dude struggled from the line, which was strange, and struggled from three. Wasn't the best offensive player we've seen but held his own defensively and was without question the best rebounder on the team.

Anyway, dude had some frustrating habits and frustrating results but the idea that he couldn't have improved in his junior year or that his contributions weren't absolutely essential to us making the tournament the past two seasons (and reaching the sweet 16 two seasons ago) is absurd. The idea that we won't miss him, especially if it was an improved version of Oshae (and if people want to argue that he wouldn't have improved, we've already seen him make FTs at a high clip for a full season and shoot the three extremely well for an entire ACC season two years ago. We also saw him test well at the elite camp and play well on the floor in at least one scrimmage).

I understand there were limitations, but we really don't know what we have in the incoming frosh yet, which leaves us with a front line of an undersized Marek at C, Hughes (who gets a free pass for the most part), who didn't rebound at all in ACC play, and Braswell who is promising but a complete unknown. Brissett returning probably would have come with more frustrating moments at times but absolutely would have helped next year's group.
This is fair

The frustrating thing is that he could have improved in his junior year.

It seemed

It seemed like he was preoccupied with his future and a possible NBA career. Its hard to blame him for that as it could be great for him, but if he could have focused on the moment he was in and brought his A game every time he would have been a much bigger factor for the Orange and his draft stock would have improved significantly. I don't know that his priorities would have changed had he returned. I think he will grow and flourish in the NBA, but it may take some time.

No one said there weren't reasons, but the fact remains they were pedestrian shooters, at best. Their percentage of scoring is a result of usage, not superior shooting ability.
No one said they were bad kids, or didn't try hard.
Using facts is not "throwing shade.".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom