Was the Dome louder after the shot by Gillon or after the 10 pt possession against Georgetown? | Syracusefan.com

Was the Dome louder after the shot by Gillon or after the 10 pt possession against Georgetown?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Listening to the game on Wednesday it was loud but watching the 1990 game against Geoegetown where Richard Burr gave John Thompson a triple technical and Coleman made 7 of 8 FTs and Stevie Thompson hit a 3 ball for an NCAA record 10 points on one possession had to be the loudest I ever heard the Dome.

To the fans at both which was louder?

Listening to the game on Wednesday it was loud but watching the 1990 game against Geoegetown where Richard Burr gave John Thompson a triple technical and Coleman made 7 of 8 FTs and Stevie Thompson hit a 3 ball for an NCAA record 10 points on one possession had to be the loudest I ever heard the Dome.

To the fans at both which was louder?

All 3 refs gave Thompson 1 technical each and it was Owens that hit the 3. But to answer your question I think last night but time may have dulled the memory on crowd noise. In that game it may have been loudest when owens was fouled at mid court down two with 1 second to play. He made both and we won in OT.

I'll never forget being at that Georgetown game - waving goodbye to Big John and then nervously watching to see if Billy could hit both. I'm sure those fortunate to be at yesterday's game will remember it as fondly 25+ years later!

I'll never forget being at that Georgetown game - waving goodbye to Big John and then nervously watching to see if Billy could hit both. I'm sure those fortunate to be at yesterday's game will remember it as fondly 25+ years later!
Coleman was the guy to shoot all the FTs.
He was fouled that set off John Thompson.
Coleman hit the first FT then Thompson got 3 technicals and Coleman shot all the FTs in a row and made 6 of 7. Then Bees is right Owens hit a 3 we went from 4 down to 6 up.

In hoops, the two loudest I've ever heard the Dome where when we came back from the huge deficit to beat Georgetown in 1989 for Sherman Douglas's senior day game -- the crowd was insane. The second was when we beat Pitt in 2003, again coming back from a big deficit.

Both times, the crowd was frenzied. It really was something to be a part of crowds like that.

And don't get me wrong--the Dome has rocked many, many other times -- but those two really stand out for me, because it was like the noise and intensity went to a different level.

In hoops, the two loudest I've ever heard the Dome where when we came back from the huge deficit to beat Georgetown in 1989 for Sherman Douglas's senior day game -- the crowd was insane. The second was when we beat Pitt in 2003, again coming back from a big deficit.

Both times, the crowd was frenzied. It really was something to be a part of crowds like that.

And don't get me wrong--the Dome has rocked many, many other times -- but those two really stand out for me, because it was like the noise and intensity went to a different level.
This game was insane.

All 3 refs gave Thompson 1 technical each and it was Owens that hit the 3. But to answer your question I think last night but time may have dulled the memory on crowd noise. In that game it may have been loudest when owens was fouled at mid court down two with 1 second to play. He made both and we won in OT.
Yeah I was like 0 chance Stevie hit it

giphy.gif

Coleman was the guy to shoot all the FTs.
He was fouled that set off John Thompson.
Coleman hit the first FT then Thompson got 3 technicals and Coleman shot all the FTs in a row and made 6 of 7. Then Bees is right Owens hit a 3 we went from 4 down to 6 up.
Agreed - I was referring to Owen's hitting the 2 free throws to send it into overtime.

This game was insane.

Also, Boeheim kept the press on after SU took the lead. Got two more points (should've been three if Owens could make a free throw). No overtime without that basket. Good strategy.

Also, Boeheim kept the press on after SU took the lead. Got two more points (should've been three if Owens could make a free throw). No overtime without that basket. Good strategy.
Ok a couple things.

1. No modern day crowd rivals those crowds. Christ we went nuts for 45 minutes.

2. How the heck did that team of players
Lose 6 games in a row?

The Pitt game was insane. Kept the home streak alive (undefeated at the dome!). Then the fans stormed the court, but had to all leave because time has not expired. I remember Boeheim getting the microphone and lecturing everyone to get back to their seats. Then I think Pitt even hit a shot past half court right after time expired.

The other loud one I remember recently was the first ACC home game against Duke. Such a battle and then CJ's block of the dunk. It was more consistently loud than one exact moment.