Washington v St Mary’s | Syracusefan.com

Washington v St Mary’s

The zone was getting torched tonight. They just have no shot blocker in the middle. Hop had to switch to m2m.

Whose season would you rather have? Ours or Washington’s?

Went to the game since it was in my backyard. Tiny little gym, basically like A high school gym with a second level and seats instead of bleachers. Showed up in my cuse warm-up jacket a little bit late from work. You either enter left to go to the student section, or right to go behind the teams. I went right and immediately upon entering some awesome person in a ‘Cuse shirt yells to me “Cuse is in the House!”. Was going to say “O my god, o my god” but I walked by a cathedral and some saint statues on the way so I just said “Cuuuuse, baby! What’s goin’ on Cuse!” Or something like that in the most annoying upstate accent with half a hot dog hanging out the side of my mouth and mustard on my forehead. (Hot dog part not true. Also, no beer or coneys).

Got lucky with seats, second row right behind...the man himself
DE06111F-B09D-401F-B96A-53BCF6C28DFB.jpeg

Several Cuse fans scattered around. One guy said he just came to see Hop, his favorite player growing up. Another, from Onondaga Hill.

Man, Huskies didn’t do too bad considering they had a size disadvantadge at every position except shooting guard. Dickerson played like a beast and did all he could against Landale (beastly dude) and the two other huge guys they have. He’s pretty impressive as an undersized post and helped make the game close at the end. He had several good post-ups on st mary’s rotation of bigs who are much taller and bigger.

The very nice old lady sitting next to me is Dickerson’s sponsor or something or other. She spoke of how nice a young man he is and how much he has matured. Also commented on how he had to work hard to transform his body into to prime shape. And....he has a twin brother who is 5’8”!

Then she went on and on about Hop. She just beamed when she spoke of how lucky they are to have Hopkins there and that the change in culture is noticeable. Says the kids really love him and the community is very supportive. Maybe she’ll be the next Saint basketball lady in next year’s tourney, but she’s still walking so that might not cut for Disney.

Anyways, Gaels had a about a ten pt lead or so until the fourth quarter when Landale got in foul trouble. The zone got a lot of deflections and turnovers and the press worked a few times as well. Hop’s team is also well coached on trapping and not fouling. They’re pretty good in transition too. Gaels fans kept lamenting all of the turnovers they had. But Washington just couldn’t defend the interior. They tried to adjust. At one point it looked like three guards were all the way at up top and nobody was covering the wings. They made it a game though!

cuseinseattle is right. When Hop gets a shotblocker and little more length, they’re going to be good. Hop was frustrated at a couple of his post defenders committing fouls instead of just staying straight up.

Ran into client of mine whose daughter plays for st marys womens team and he is from Michigan and a huge Michigan State fan. Awesone guy and loves talking basketball. He texted me at the beginning of the Cuse game and said “tell your guys to stop playing so hard. I’m going to have a heart attack”. So now I’m standing there in my Orange at a St. Mary’s game nonetheless, cheering for the visitors. Imagine how bitter he could be. He just shook my hand and said “congratulations”

Cool story Joey, but Sister Jean's in a wheelchair because she fell recently and broke her hip. C'mon, man.

Cool story Joey, but Sister Jean's in a wheelchair because she fell recently and broke her hip. C'mon, man.

Yeah, but you know the statistics. :(

Went to the game since it was in my backyard. Tiny little gym, basically like A high school gym with a second level and seats instead of bleachers. Showed up in my cuse warm-up jacket a little bit late from work. You either enter left to go to the student section, or right to go behind the teams. I went right and immediately upon entering some awesome person in a ‘Cuse shirt yells to me “Cuse is in the House!”. Was going to say “O my god, o my god” but I walked by a cathedral and some saint statues on the way so I just said “Cuuuuse, baby! What’s goin’ on Cuse!” Or something like that in the most annoying upstate accent with half a hot dog hanging out the side of my mouth and mustard on my forehead. (Hot dog part not true. Also, no beer or coneys).

Got lucky with seats, second row right behind...the man himself
View attachment 124999

Several Cuse fans scattered around. One guy said he just came to see Hop, his favorite player growing up. Another, from Onondaga Hill.

Man, Huskies didn’t do too bad considering they had a size disadvantadge at every position except shooting guard. Dickerson played like a beast and did all he could against Landale (beastly dude) and the two other huge guys they have. He’s pretty impressive as an undersized post and helped make the game close at the end. He had several good post-ups on st mary’s rotation of bigs who are much taller and bigger.

The very nice old lady sitting next to me is Dickerson’s sponsor or something or other. She spoke of how nice a young man he is and how much he has matured. Also commented on how he had to work hard to transform his body into to prime shape. And...he has a twin brother who is 5’8”!

Then she went on and on about Hop. She just beamed when she spoke of how lucky they are to have Hopkins there and that the change in culture is noticeable. Says the kids really love him and the community is very supportive. Maybe she’ll be the next Saint basketball lady in next year’s tourney, but she’s still walking so that might not cut for Disney.

Anyways, Gaels had a about a ten pt lead or so until the fourth quarter when Landale got in foul trouble. The zone got a lot of deflections and turnovers and the press worked a few times as well. Hop’s team is also well coached on trapping and not fouling. They’re pretty good in transition too. Gaels fans kept lamenting all of the turnovers they had. But Washington just couldn’t defend the interior. They tried to adjust. At one point it looked like three guards were all the way at up top and nobody was covering the wings. They made it a game though!

cuseinseattle is right. When Hop gets a shotblocker and little more length, they’re going to be good. Hop was frustrated at a couple of his post defenders committing fouls instead of just staying straight up.

Ran into client of mine whose daughter plays for st marys womens team and he is from Michigan and a huge Michigan State fan. Awesone guy and loves talking basketball. He texted me at the beginning of the Cuse game and said “tell your guys to stop playing so hard. I’m going to have a heart attack”. So now I’m standing there in my Orange at a St. Mary’s game nonetheless, cheering for the visitors. Imagine how bitter he could be. He just shook my hand and said “congratulations”

Hop just got his shotblocker signed last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom