Watched DeMatha v. Gonzaga from ESPN | Syracusefan.com

Watched DeMatha v. Gonzaga from ESPN

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
on my DVR tonight. DeMatha beat a very good Gonzaga team soundly by about 20. Jerami Grant and Bejay Anya played very well.

Anya, despite having gotten himself into pretty good shape a couple months ago, seems to have again packed on some pounds, and was waddling a bit as he ran down the court. He looked to have a bit of a beer belly. It all depends on whether he can keep his weight down. He got cut from the national team because he wasn't in good enough shape to run the floor. He may have mobility problems down the road. He just has the kind of gait where I could seem him hurting a hip. He doesn't run fluidly up and down the floor.

That said, he can still be a very good college player, just "as is". He's kind of like Dujuan Coleman, but different. To me, he's a thick bodied, below the rim guy, who has long arms and finishes well on offense. Anya is committed to defense, really cares about it, and he and Grant of course have great chemistry. We have recruited groups of teammates in recent years, so keep that in mind ...

I see Anya as being, right now, in the mold of an Arinze or a Rick Jackson. A solid guy, thick bodies, willing to mix it up inside, able to finish in close consistently on offense, dunks well. At the worst, he's that kind of guy, which you need in every program to keep it going.

Now, to me, if he really could work on his body, he has developed some nice muscle in his arms and shoulders from his commitment to training back in the fall, that helped him drop the baby fat weight from summer that was slowing him down. But he's put it back on, and doesn't move well with the extra weight.

On to Grant, who had a spectacular game. Grant is much quicker than he was last summer, and really, it comes down to him being more aggressive in starting his moves, and more decisive, so he makes them quicker and with more commitment. His shooting range is really good. This kid has all the tools offensively. He handles the ball very well, and was helping Robinson, the Pitt signee, bring the ball up. That's an old SU tradition, having a lengthy forward with the ball skills to help bring the ball up the floor and make a good pass.

Grant so fits our system. He's got more perimeter skills than C.J. Fair, but is not quite the rebounder. Grant is still rather slim and not filled out. He can really leap and has a nice nose for rebounds, and he sure can block a shot. Great timing, and loooong arms. Great help side shot blocker, kind of like Wes Johnson was. Not as smooth as Wes. Not as skilled as Donte Greene, either, but more heart, more will to win. DeMatha kicked Gonzaga's ass, and Gonzaga was ranked 14th in the country, and DeMatha not at all. A lot of these guys play together on Team Takeover in the Summer in the AAU circuit, so let's keep it going, y'know ??

Grant isn't a good defensive player yet though, in terms of guarding and closing out on a man. He is a little slow getting back in transition, too. He has a lot of work to do before Boeheim will let him get big minutes. But, boy, he is the best offensive forward we've had come in since Donte, but with likely a better work ethic and willingness to mix it up.

If Anya really committed to fixing his body and sculpting it, he could be a player like Corliss Williamson, but without the outside shot. By that I mean, a very solid low post defender with long arms who can really defensive rebound. Very good base, thick torso. If he was fit, he would be more explosive with his dunks. I have a sense he's going to battle his weight his whole career, though. Just hope his wheels hold up.

As for the final word from me on Jerami Grant, the guy he most reminded me of was ... Charles Smith of Pitt. I think Grant has a bit of that "smooth glide" about his game that just reminds me of Smith. He's got all the same offensive skills and kind of game - he's got inside / outside skills already, and is a good passer, unselfish player, but maybe floats a bit at times during a game. But I could take a couple players like that who went to HS together. It has worked for us before.

I saw the game too and thought Anya looked like a beast down low and a force defensively - Grant seemed like a project - who knows

My concern with Anya is what position does he play if he comes here? 6'8" center just doesn't cut it... I think the concern is he does not have quickness/leaping ability to play forward in zone defense. He could always be the next Arinze but I'd prefer a good 6'10"+ guy to anchor the defense who can block shots. We see this year how much better we are with a tall shot blocker in the middle.

My concern with Anya is what position does he play if he comes here? 6'8" center just doesn't cut it... I think the concern is he does not have quickness/leaping ability to play forward in zone defense. He could always be the next Arinze but I'd prefer a good 6'10"+ guy to anchor the defense who can block shots. We see this year how much better we are with a tall shot blocker in the middle.

They said he has a 79" wingspan. If true, that's Sean Williams territory (the kid who never played for us ...), and is about 7 inches longer than Anthony Davis at Kentucky, who has freaking Gumby arms.

They said he has a 79" wingspan. If true, that's Sean Williams territory (the kid who never played for us ...), and is about 7 inches longer than Anthony Davis at Kentucky, who has freaking Gumby arms.

I'm pretty sure you mean a 7'9" wingspan, which is pretty damn impressive. A 79" wingspan is the norm for someone who is 6'7".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom