watching games exclusively via streaming | Syracusefan.com

watching games exclusively via streaming

pearl31

in cahoots
hey folks, figured I'd get this out of the way in the off season...
so I'm about to pull the trigger on getting rid of my cable and just using my laptop as my viewing, connecting my macbook to my HD monitor. however, I obviously need to make sure I can get any/all college hoops games come November. It seemed like last season ESPN had pretty much every game they were covering (regular, the deuce, U, fullcourt) available via espn3.
anyone watch all the games last last season via streaming? did you have to miss any games? any quality issues?
I'm also somewhat worried about the occasional buffering issue, but that seems to have improved the last couple of years, especially espn...
thoughts? advice?

thanks!!!

I'm guessing where you are you should be fine with the espn3 deal, but a number of times when I was looking for a stream last year I just got the "espn3" answer, which frustrated me because I couldnt access it on ISP. But assuming youre on the same ISP as everyone other than me, you should be fine :)

There were a ton of SU games on ESPN3 last year - I depended on it. However, the quality of the feed was questionably for me - and that may just be due to slower speeds in my service and area. Can't be sure as the bandwidth in my internet package should be sufficient to stream high quality feeds.

Not all games were covered, i.e., those on CBS or ABC or a non-ESPN affiliated channel.

I hope it gets better because next season is the same for me, internet feeds only.

I'm interested in this, as I suspect others are as well. Living way the hell out here, live streaming is the only way I get to see SU games.

Being a recent grad and looking for a job I choose to cut a lot of luxuries out of my life, cable being one, and went to just internet through TW (really need net for job searches, etc...). The first thing I discovered was that TW would not allow me to view 360 unless I had a cable package, granted I was using their internet product (aka. they want both your kidneys). I would call your provider and make sure that you can get 360. I did speak to customer service about this issue and they let me know how valuable I was to them. This is the actual conversation we had.
I have only one monopoly err I mean provider in my area and could not try other products. That being said, after being such a loyal customer for many years and having my loyalty so warmly rewarded, I was able to watch most games through back channels, sports bars, "hanging out with friends", etc... I think I might have missed one basketball game last year. I had football season tickets (def a necessity and not a luxury) and caught all the away games through different channels. It is not as easy as pushing the flicker and sometimes you will be sweating looking for a link till tip, but it is def doable. I know there are a few other slumdogs on here that pull it off. There are also a few of our great military folks on here who go that route. If you don't have a go to place for finding such things, the good people on this sight are often eager to post a link or pm you with some information.

In most cases the reception quality of streaming will be as good,or better than Full Court. Why a highly publicized product like Full Court can't be broadcast in HD or even decent digitial, is beyond me.

The streaming on my laptop was a pain sometimes. Quality going up and down like crazy. Image freezing causing me to have to refresh. Etc., etc. etc. However, we ended up getting an Xbox 360 for streaming ESPN 3 and the quality is absolutely amazing. It's like night and day from the laptop.

The streaming on my laptop was a pain sometimes. Quality going up and down like crazy. Image freezing causing me to have to refresh. Etc., etc. etc. However, we ended up getting an Xbox 360 for streaming ESPN 3 and the quality is absolutely amazing. It's like night and day from the laptop.
Interesting.
how much does one gotta drop for an xbox these days?

Quick warning - If you are in the tri-state area (and I'm guessing areas around SU's opponent for the game), you won't be able to use ESPN3 for games on SNY or other regional sports broadcasters, so you'll be stuck with hit or miss pirated streams.

I watched many games on espn3 last year (via att dsl). As long as the games were available, I didn't have any issues with this arrangement. However, several games were not available due to a "regional blackout." I assume that is because I live in NYC broadcast area and the games were on SNY.

xbox 360- we did the same.. paid 200 for it... great streaming quality...

xbox 360- we did the same.. paid 200 for it... great streaming quality...
cool, thx...
anyone with a newer macbook who's done the streaming? that's what I have...

sure... i am a bit into games as well so we bought new but if you are just buying for streaming.. go to gameStop and get an used one for 100

cool, thx...
anyone with a newer macbook who's done the streaming? that's what I have...
I have done it on my mac air (maybe 18 months old). It works very well

No doubt about it . X box is the Bomb , great work outs on kinect . There will be many more choices with Kinect hook up in the next 6 months .

if the problem is your hardware, another option besides xbox is a new video card for your computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom