Watching Practices In The Melo Center... | Syracusefan.com

Watching Practices In The Melo Center...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
...The open windows on the basket end of the Melo Center have been replaced with "fat head" like vinyl window graphics. One could look in and see the team as they practiced. Not anymore.

Very interesting. I know when the team used to practice in the Dome, practices were open and free to the public. Wondering why the decision was made to restrict visibility to practices in the Melo center.

Anyone know?

...The open windows on the basket end of the Melo Center have been replaced with "fat head" like vinyl window graphics. One could look in and see the team as they practiced. Not anymore.

Very interesting. I know when the team used to practice in the Dome, practices were open and free to the public. Wondering why the decision was made to restrict visibility to practices in the Melo center.

Anyone know?
Perhaps JB worried that if word got out how badly we shoot, no one would show up to the games.

Just another sad, and small, development where college sports are isolated not only from the general public but fellow college students - this is a money generating asset and needs to be 'protected'.

Anyone know?

Just another sad, and small, development where college sports are isolated not only from the general public but fellow college students - this is a money generating asset and needs to be 'protected'.

I was thinking the same thing.

Football and LAX practices have been closed to the public since forever.

Not sure why Basketball should be any different.

The question is: why should football and Lax practices be closed to the public?
so it doesn't turn into a circus? if those reporters could watch every bball practice and the staff tried player X as a starter one day and as a bench player the next day it would be new around here. the players have enough stress without the over-reporting.

edit: just to clarify, even though I love tidbits I don't think media should be at any practice at the college level, ever.

Yeah, I don't see any reason why practices should be public. Maybe some early, early season practices should be public, but there's no need once regular season games start, IMO.

Media with proper credentials can attend practices. But I think there is some kind of agreement that they will not write about anything that could be significantly helpful to an opponent. ( Mike Waters and Donna Ditota have both written articles about practices this year).

Last edited:
I haven't been there yet but if it's on the basket end, could someone be wondering if the lighting from the window could be effecting vision/shooting or be a distraction in some way? Maybe far fetched but wondering.

Used to go and watch practices during the early 90's in high school, sad they stopped doing that

I used to love stopping by practices at the Dome on my way back to Sadler Hall back in the day.
Going to practice at Manley or at the Dome... meant going to a self-contained court and watching practice. Going to practice at the Melo Center ... means one can wanter around and look inside (or GO inside) glass walled rooms that contain rehab equipment and exercise equipment that is always being using by both men and women athletes (as well as trainers and medical personnel)... and also peer into offices, video rooms, study halls .. and everything else. Melo Center has an open floor-plan with lots of glass walls and huge glass entrances to the offices. It makes total sense to me as to why they would not want random people wandering around in there. It was definitely not designed/constructed as a public space

Last edited:
They put new frosted glass doors on the entry to the practice facility as well. And they redecorated! New wall pictures!

Considering CTO's post about the access, and how relatively recently it was built, it would be apparent whomever was in charge didn't want the public to have access. The recent changes would then be addressing minor oversights.

Personally, I have to say I found the last story about campus "redecoration" to be slightly more interesting, though. At least those folks didn't mess with sacred ground.

Anyone know?

Sounds like JB is getting ready to implement the Mike Rice coaching plan to see if he can shake us out of our shooting slump.

Going to practice at Manley or at the Dome... meant going to a self-contained court and watching practice. Going to practice at the Melo Center ... means one can wanter around and look inside (or GO inside) glass walled rooms that contain rehab equipment and exercise equipment that is always being using by both men and women athletes (as well as trainers and medical personnel)... and also peer into offices, video rooms, study halls .. and everything else. Melo Center has an open floor-plan with lots of glass walls and huge glass entrances to the offices. It makes total sense to me as to why they would not want random people wandering around in there. It was definitely not designed/constructed as a public space
I get that too. I was just reminiscing about how cool it was to walk into the Dome and watch practice. I coach a girls high school varsity basketball team and I still use some of the drills I saw during those practices.

The main difference was that Manley was an open facility that was used by many different teams / groups of students. If you wanted to go up to watch basketball practice any given night, you could just go--provided there was an unlocked door, you could let yourself in and go watch the team practice inside the gymnasium [which was quite spacious]. The basketball team was often practicing at the same time as the track team, so it was easy to get in, easy to find places to sit, and the doors were generally unlocked.

The Melo Center is a security restricted facility--and with good reason. I'm guessing that the decision to make it so has zero to do with fan experience considerations, and more to do with it not being a multi-purpose facility that requires unrestricted access like Manley. There's lots of state of the art equipment in there, lots of private weight rooms, etc. They don't just want anybody going in there to use the training facilities, let alone playing pickup hoops on the courts, or having access to valuable basketball program memoribilia, etc.

Personally speaking, as one who used to attend basketball practices frequently in the old days, it is kind of personally frustrating to not be able to go watch them when I'm back in town. My dad still lives in Syracuse, and used to often attend practices, as well. Now, access is significantly less easy to come by. But I don't think that it was a concerted effort on the basketball program's part to shut the public out in order to be secretive. In my mind, this is no different than having office buildings / workplaces with badged entry that keeps he public [who don't legitimately belong there] out. :noidea:

Last edited:
The main difference was that Manley was an open facility that was used by many different teams / groups of students. If you wanted to go up to watch basketball practice any given night, you could just go--provided there was an unlocked door, you could let yourself in and go watch the team practice inside the gymnasium [which was quite spacious]. The basketball team was often practicing at the same time as the track team, so it was easy to get in, easy to find places to sit, and the doors were generally unlocked.

The Melo Center is a security restricted facility--and with good reason. I'm guessing that the decision to make it so has zero to do with fan experience considerations, and more to do with it not being a multi-purpose facility that requires unrestricted access like Manley. There's lots of state of the art equipment in there, lots of private weight rooms, etc. They don't just want anybody going in there to use the training facilities, or having access to valuable basketball program memoribilia, etc.

Personally speaking, as one who used to attend basketball practices frequently in the old days, it is kind of personally frustrating to not be able to go watch them when I'm back in town. My dad still lives in Syracuse, and used to often attend practices, as well. Now, access is significantly less easy to come by. But I don't think that it was a concerted effort on the basketball program's part to shut the public out in order to be secretive. In my mind, this is no different than having office buildings / workplaces with badged entry that keeps he public [who don't legitimately belong there] out. :noidea:

I think you're right and it sounds like it has to do with the amount of room that spectators have in the Melo Center compared to the Dome or Manley. (saying this having never been in the Melo Center but just read previous posts)

I have a feeling JB would still have open practices if it was more feasible. What information could possibly leak out? That we play a zone defense? :)

I think you're right and it sounds like it has to do with the amount of room that spectators have in the Melo Center compared to the Dome or Manley. (saying this having never been in the Melo Center but just read previous posts)

I have a feeling JB would still have open practices if it was more feasible. What information could possibly leak out? That we play a zone defense? :)

That's also true--there isn't much room for spectators at the Melo Center [unlike Manley or the Dome, where at both you have virtually unlimited space].

The last thing that JB wants at practice is a bunch of gawkers that people are tripping over while the team is trying to work. At Manley, you could be unobtrusive and still have a pretty good view of practice even if you were sitting as far away as the bleachers in the second level. At the Melo Center, you're practically right on top of the court. Nowhere for the general public to go without being in the way.

Allegedly, JB has begun throwing toasters at players and chasing them around with a golf cart.

dodge-a-wrench-dodge-a-ball-o.gif