Watching those two amazing games last night is a stark reminder... | Syracusefan.com

Watching those two amazing games last night is a stark reminder...

RF2044

Living Legend
...along with this UK / AU game today, of how inadequate our guard play has been in recent years.

Really need to get that corrected -- college basketball is a guard driven game.

Hopefully, help is on the way with the incoming class.

i think, more specifically, the issue has been our lack of backcourt speed.

we have no burners. jalen was supposed to be that guy, but he cant get anywhere fast with the ball.

It became obvious we are so under talented. Not only that, but running some decent offensive plays. Agree on the PG comment and we need a centre who can score and run plays for. We will continue to be a mid pack ACC team until some of our issues are resolved and these are not the only two. JMO

...along with this UK / AU game today, of how inadequate our guard play has been in recent years.

That and a couple of guys who weigh 240+ and get after it.

Hopefully Carey and goodine get us closer to having that again

Especially PG play...

duke and UK move on with top recruited talent alone. msu and auburn pick well for their systems.

Winston isnt the fastest or most athletic but man hes so good at running the offense. College is so guard driven and we have been hurting so bad for awhile now in that position its sickening after watching a lot of these games. The 5 is obviously weak for us too but man I hope our guys coming in and the leftovers like HW/JC are ready to play point for us.

It's a guard driven game, but it seemed like every team I saw this weekend had a guy that could post up, make a move toward the basket, and score. We've missed that too.

I really think Goodine could be huge this coming year. He is quick and can shoot. I’m hoping him and jalen can really step that up for us with buddy as the shooter off the bench.

duke and UK move on with top recruited talent alone. msu and auburn pick well for their systems.
Auburn? This is their first final four since the 80's. And maybe you didn't hear about the FBI tapes

We we're spoiled for years with great point guards. I hope we get back to that level. I think it is a bit unfair to our recent guards as we had no low post scoring threats for them to pass to. How many assists could Sherman have with the last couple years of bigs?

It’s not just guards ... these teams have multiple intermediate size guys who can handle the Rock and get by their man

If there is one common theme amongst our players it’s that they all almost universally are barely adequate ball handlers ..

Auburn? This is their first final four since the 80's. And maybe you didn't hear about the FBI tapes
Auburn also had EJ Montgomery. He opened up his recruitment after the FBI probe came out. It looks like he bypassed Nick Richards in the Kentucky big man rotation. He should be starting next year as a sophomore.

If there is one common theme amongst our players it’s that they all almost universally are barely adequate ball handlers ..

This year's team had exceptional poor ball handling skills across the board - including passing (with the exception of FH and MD), catching, dribbling, fumbling, and getting stripped.

This didn't really show up in the stat sheet other than turnovers, but it had a big impact on offensive efficiency.