Women's Lacrosse - Way Early 2024 Rankings | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse Way Early 2024 Rankings

5. SYRACUSE​

2023 Record: 18-3 (8-1 ACC)

Last seen: Syracuse led 7-5 entering the fourth quarter against Boston College in the national semifinals. Then the Eagles shut down the Orange offense, which finished 2023 ranked fourth in Division I, sending Syracuse back to the Salt City with an 8-7 loss.

Initial forecast: Tewaaraton finalist Meaghan Tyrrell (55 G, 52 A) and Megan Carney (59 G, 7 A) are gone, but the Orange have enough offensive talent returning in Emma Ward (38 G, 56 A), Emma Tyrrell (52 G, 16 A, 30 DC) and Olivia Adamson (30 G, 21 A, 107 DC) to feel confident that the unit that averaged 16.05 goals per game in 2023 will be just fine. Ward, in particular, is a masterful distributor from X who also has a nose for the net. And Adamson’s prowess in the circle proved crucial when Kate Mashewske sustained an injury.

Delaney Sweitzer returns in net after an All-American performance in 2023 that saw her finish eighth nationally with a 50.5-percent save percentage. Katie Goodale (27 GB, 27 CT), Natalie Smith (13 GB, 12 CT) and Maddy Baxter (17 GB, 13 CT) are among the top returners who should help shore up the defense and midfield.

The big questions are the same as the ones entering the last few years: Can Syracuse stay healthy? Can the Orange win big games in May? The latter is far more within Syracuse’s control than the former. Syracuse will be in the mix for the top spot in the nation’s most competitive conference. Getting over the hump, winning a conference crown and the school’s first national title will mean peaking at the right time and bucking a trend of falling short in the biggest spots.

5. SYRACUSE​

2023 Record: 18-3 (8-1 ACC)

Last seen: Syracuse led 7-5 entering the fourth quarter against Boston College in the national semifinals. Then the Eagles shut down the Orange offense, which finished 2023 ranked fourth in Division I, sending Syracuse back to the Salt City with an 8-7 loss.

Initial forecast: Tewaaraton finalist Meaghan Tyrrell (55 G, 52 A) and Megan Carney (59 G, 7 A) are gone, but the Orange have enough offensive talent returning in Emma Ward (38 G, 56 A), Emma Tyrrell (52 G, 16 A, 30 DC) and Olivia Adamson (30 G, 21 A, 107 DC) to feel confident that the unit that averaged 16.05 goals per game in 2023 will be just fine. Ward, in particular, is a masterful distributor from X who also has a nose for the net. And Adamson’s prowess in the circle proved crucial when Kate Mashewske sustained an injury.

Delaney Sweitzer returns in net after an All-American performance in 2023 that saw her finish eighth nationally with a 50.5-percent save percentage. Katie Goodale (27 GB, 27 CT), Natalie Smith (13 GB, 12 CT) and Maddy Baxter (17 GB, 13 CT) are among the top returners who should help shore up the defense and midfield.

The big questions are the same as the ones entering the last few years: Can Syracuse stay healthy? Can the Orange win big games in May? The latter is far more within Syracuse’s control than the former. Syracuse will be in the mix for the top spot in the nation’s most competitive conference. Getting over the hump, winning a conference crown and the school’s first national title will mean peaking at the right time and bucking a trend of falling short in the biggest spots.
I think they need a transfer or a freshman to provide instant offense next season. Tyrrell and Carney are a lot to lose. Also, while Treanor improved in terms of getting the team prepared to play, she has a ways to go re in-game coaching.

I expect vogelman and munichek (and Benoit on D) to have the biggest impact as newcomers. Volpe’s lack of play the past couple years make me think she will take a minute to adjust to college.

I expect vogelman and munichek (and Benoit on D) to have the biggest impact as newcomers. Volpe’s lack of play the past couple years make me think she will take a minute to adjust to college.
Agree on Vogelman and Benoit but Volpee looked pretty good up in Lake Placid.

5. Syracuse (2023 Season: 18-3)​

The 2023 Syracuse squad had one of the strongest in its school history, starting the season with 15-straight wins. Meaghan Tyrrell, the program’s all-time leading scorer, has graduated along with Megan Carney, but the Orange will return key players including the 2023 Division I Goalkeeper of the Year Delaney Sweitzer.

Sweitzer finished last season with a 50.4% save percentage, and her return will help anchor Syracuse’s patented zone defense. Offensively, look for Emma Tyrrell and Emma Ward to take on the primary roles while Kate Mashewske should return from a season-ending injury a season ago at the draw.

Alyssa is trying not to be a Homer Syracuse is loaded Emma Ward will push Scane for the Tewarrton they have the best midfield in the country the question is how banged up is Tyrrell yes they will need underclass contributions if Tyrrell is healthy come spring Syracuse is a top 3 team that should have a massive chip on there shoulders

Alyssa is trying not to be a Homer Syracuse is loaded Emma Ward will push Scane for the Tewarrton they have the best midfield in the country the question is how banged up is Tyrrell yes they will need underclass contributions if Tyrrell is healthy come spring Syracuse is a top 3 team that should have a massive chip on there shoulders
Agree. Getting the best goalie back is massive. The offense will come, the defense can hold down the fort while the new players adjust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom