Way Too Early Predictions B.C. | Syracusefan.com

Way Too Early Predictions B.C.

ivorytower

Starter
www.collegecrosse.com
www.collegecrosse.com
9. Syracuse: On paper, I’m expecting a similar year in 2020 to what we saw in 2019 for the Orange: very good at times, but ultimately just outside that top tier. In other words, another 9-10 win type campaign where maybe they make the quarterfinals. Cuse loses its top two scorers in Voigt and Solomon, but they do get electric middie Tucker Dordevic back to add to one of the deepest midfields in the country. Stout defenseman Nick Mellen also returns (though linemates Tyson Bomberry and Marcus Cunningham are now gone) as well as goalie Drake Porter. Cuse will have to find some answers at attack, but the midfield, defense, and goal are strong enough to warrant top 10 consideration with the potential for more. IL does not think very highly of their recruiting class, putting them at #18 overall with no one in the top 50.

.@EvanWashburn brought us his "Way-too-early" @NCAALAX Top 5 for 2020 last night.

His list:

5. @CuseMLAX
4. @TerpsMLax
3. @UVAMensLax
2. @YaleLacrosse
1. @PennStateMLAX

Watch it here: https://www.laxsportsnetwork.com/videos/lacrosse-nows-way-too-early-top-5 …

www.insidelacrosse.com

Inside Lacrosse's 2020 Way-Ahead Rankings

9. Syracuse
Tucker Dordevic should be back after missing last year due to injury, which will soften the loss of Nate Solomon and Bradley Voigt. Nick Mellen and Drake Porter hold down a defense that must replace Tyson Bomberry and Austin Fusco. A deep stable of middies remain a strength.

Lax Magazine Way Too Early 2020 Rankings

7. SYRACUSE
2019 record: 9-5 (2-2 Atlantic Coast)

Last seen: On the wrong end of a traditional role reversal, unable to keep pace with a dominant offensive talent as it lost a first round NCAA tournament game to Loyola and Pat Spencer.

Senior starts lost: 55 of 140 (39.29 percent)

Senior scoring departing: 93 of 277 points (33.57 percent)

Initial forecast: For those scoring at home, 2019 marked the sixth consecutive year the Orange didn’t advance to the final weekend of the season. This, needless to say, has not gone over well for those in central New York who grew accustomed to making Memorial Day weekend hotel reservations nearly a year in advance on an annual basis for a quarter-century. That it happened when Syracuse fielded arguably its best defense since 2011 had to make it all the more frustrating. The Orange lacked a dominant figure on offense, and now its two most productive players at that end of the field (Bradley Voigt and Nate Solomon) have graduated. That leaves five returnees who finished with between 23 and 39 points returning, but will there be a breakout star next year? Perhaps midfielder Brendan Curry, a third team All-America pick as a sophomore. Syracuse should still be solid on defense, with close defenseman Nick Mellen (second team All-America), long pole Brett Kennedy (third team) and short stick Peter Dearth (honorable mention) all back. It’s not hard to imagine a similar outcome next spring: Perfectly solid with no fatal flaws, but not quite enough oomph to get over the hump in May.

5-1
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 5-1 (Division I Men)

10-6
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 10-6 (Division I Men)

15-11
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 15-11 (Division I Men)

20-16
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 20-16 (Division I Men)

25-21
Way-Early 2020 Rankings: No. 25-21 (Division I Men)

Any ranking that doesn't mention Scanlan is probably not realistic, IMO, and needs to be looked at again. Obviously completed before his commitment.

Didn't we do this already...

Didn't we do this already...

Yes but that was Before Chase.

Wondering how these would change.

Think Evan Washburn at LSN having us at #5 is about right at moment

I don't think you'll see any changes until new pre-season rankings come out in the Fall.

Maryland also picked up a nice transfer in Ubriaco. Maryland needed a LSM more than an offensive player.

Last edited:
Top 5 for sure..they’ll crack top 3 .. ..strength up and down the field .

Scanlan put SU in my mind right around the 5 mark. Can't put them above PSU or UVA at this point and there a few others teams battling for the 3-5 spots ie Duke, Cornell, Maryland etc. Scanlan answers a lot of question marks for SU but not all of them. Faceoff, close defense, and the third attack spot remain big ?.

Scanlan put SU in my mind right around the 5 mark. Can't put them above PSU or UVA at this point and there a few others teams battling for the 3-5 spots ie Duke, Cornell, Maryland etc. Scanlan answers a lot of question marks for SU but not all of them. Faceoff, close defense, and the third attack spot remain big ?.
On the mark

Feel like Cornell has many more question marks than we do so I don't understand why everyone has them rated so high. Teat is a phenomenal player, but they lost Peterson; they are super shaky up the middle and their defense is suspect as well. Ierlan played well, but seeing so many shots, the law of averages very well may catch up to him.

Feel like Cornell has many more question marks than we do so I don't understand why everyone has them rated so high. Teat is a phenomenal player, but they lost Peterson; they are super shaky up the middle and their defense is suspect as well. Ierlan played well, but seeing so many shots, the law of averages very well may catch up to him.

I feel like a lot depends on face-offs for Cornell - their top guy last year only won 42%, which won't get it done, especially with a defense that struggled as much as they did. They do get a very sought after FOGO recruit in Angelo Petrakis, so maybe they get help there, but freshmen fogos are really hard to predict. I thought Lombardi would have a bigger impact on their offense last year, so maybe he fills in for Peterson? I am still very worried about them, but they definitely have question marks.

Cuse wins title next year.

Not Maryland because the Creator hates what they have done to the game.
Not UVa because their trophy case currently has no room.
Not Yale because their administration is concerned that it might be perceived to be a jock school.
Not Penn State because there is a God.

Not Yale because their administration is concerned that it might be perceived to be a jock school.
;)

It certainly was UVA year in sports , combined talent, a little luck and " get by with a little help from my friends"

Nope, it's the Terps' turn, the lax gods will make up for that poor call on the crossbar goal, and give the Terps' good luck next season. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom