Way way way early but is Oregon a must win? | Syracusefan.com

Way way way early but is Oregon a must win?

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
In all seriousness clearly a loss today means very little for the course of the season but if were trying to avoid another year of Bubble hell is this game as important as I think it is?

To me the concern if we lose today is that this season starts to feel like a few years ago when we had White and Gillon and a disastrous OOC record doomed our tourney chances. Not saying today as any baring on our play against Buffalo, OSU and Gtown etc but 2 losses here could get this team going in a real bad direction. Hope we come out and get a W and get things back on track.

In all seriousness clearly a loss today means very little for the course of the season but if were trying to avoid another year of Bubble hell is this game as important as I think it is?

To me the concern if we lose today is that this season starts to feel like a few years ago when we had White and Gillon and a disastrous OOC record doomed our tourney chances. Not saying today as any baring on our play against Buffalo, OSU and Gtown etc but 2 losses here could get this team going in a real bad direction. Hope we come out and get a W and get things back on track.
Can't guarantee it, but I doubt they are going to hit 60% from 3.

Well...it would be hard to feel great about things if you lose to the first two opponents that have a pulse.

Especially when you’re bringing back most of your team from last year.

On paper we should come out of MSG with at least one W. But here we are playing an opponent that can say the same.

If we lose...then it certainly heightens the importance of Buffalo, GTown, and Ohio State. I’d say a loss tonight makes it a “must” that we get at least two of those 3.

No and this team will be in the mix come March. UConn will be playing Tulsa for 6th place in the Ack.

Last night is a wake up call. Not fun but might be a good thing at the end of the day.

Lastly, Go Iowa.

Not a must win in the sense of this season, but a loss could be fairly impactful for our recruiting in canada. Can’t lose to regional uconn and then oregon and feel good about it

Not a must win, but I was really hoping we finally had some season long relevance to go with our post season runs.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take post season success over regular season success ALL DAY, but for a program of our stature, I’m getting kind of sick of bubble talk and never having a number next to our name.

Going to need to run the table heading into ACC play to get that type of mojo back.

These losses don’t count as much without Frank, but I’d rather we win today and I think we will.

Must win? No, however, OOC games are more important than conference games. Lose to Oregon, Ohio State, Gtown, and Buffalo and I don't know if 11-7 in the ACC is good enough to make the NCAAT. It would be nice to win at least 3 of the 5 tough OOC games.

Not having Frank is one thing, the real problem against UConn was the demeanor of the team. If the same low energy, disinterested group shows up tonight, yeah, that's a real concern. I never mind losing as long as the guys give it their best effort . . . last night looked like they couldn't wait to get back to the hotel.

Nothing is must win until it is... but you cant have 2 OOC loses like this and expect to not be climbing walls come Tourney time. I think it clear whats franks value is . Who would have thunk that two years ago eh?

Yes. Oregon is still a ranked opponent and should be in the thick of things throughout the Pac 12 schedule.

Not a must win, but a loss drops us out of the top 25 if the UConn loss didn’t already.

I think it would all signify, if the UConn game didn’t already, that this team is pretty ordinary.

I thought this group had the makings of a dominant top 10 team. Maybe Howard’s return helps there. But I’m not so sure.

It is a must win if we suck. Hate to put it that way - but if last night's product is THE product, then yes we really need today's game because we'll be 8-10 or so in ACC play again.

However, I continue to believe that we do not suck and we will do well enough in the ACC to get comfortably into the tournament win or lose today.

In the big picture I guess it isn't. However, in my mind it definitely is. It's all about confidence and attitude going forward. I want to see more aggressiveness, hustle and better overall play. I think we will still be in the top 20 with a win.

Ohio State will be extremely tough. They already have true road wins in TOUGH gyms...Crieghton and Cincinnati. They also dropped 107 on somebody. We look like we don’t know what is going on. That has little to do with Jalen Carey and Frank gone, IMO. That coach of OSU’s is the former Butler coach. He’s going to get up on us and defend and with the athletes to make life difficult with such a garbage scheme.

Last edited:

There's no such thing as a "must-win" in November, but if we lose today, there is a pretty decent chance that we'll be much closer to Bubbleville this season than the 3-4 seed range that we all hoped for.

You have to imagine they will come out fired up. Especially Tyus. I also think JB will be motivated.

Nobody likes to lose, most of all to UConn and certainly to a clown like Hurley.

You have to imagine they will come out fired up. Especially Tyus. I also think JB will be motivated.

Nobody likes to lose, most of all to UConn and certainly to a clown like Hurley.

He may be a “clown” but he had them playing pretty well and hard. They executed. He comes from a bright and a HOF coaching pedigree/lineage. I could care less how he and Buzz act on the sidelines. Your job as a coach is to get the most out of players and coax maximum effort out of them.

It's not an absolute must win of course, but I'd really like to get what I think would be a solid out of conference win away from the Dome and Oregon and Ohio State are our two chances. The ACC won't be easy this year. I think we're still going to be a solid team once Frank gets back, but I don't want to dig too big of a hole.

The line just came out as a pickem. Rarely see that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom