WBB SU 74 vs Central CT State 43 12/30/14 &:00@Cuse | Syracusefan.com

WBB SU 74 vs Central CT State 43 12/30/14 &:00@Cuse

CuseLegacy

Women's Basketball | 12/29/2014 3:52:00 PM |
Final Non-Conference Clash of Regular Season
Syracuse hosts Central Connecticut State at 7 p.m.

No. 21/23 Syracuse (9-3) vs. Central Connecticut State (4-6)
Game Details: Tuesday, December 30 | 7 p.m.
Game Coverage: Live Stats | Audio | @Cuse Twitter | @CuseWBB Twitter
Game Notes: Syracuse

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The No. 21/23 Syracuse University women's basketball team will play its final non-conference game of the 2014-15 regular season when it plays Central Connecticut State on Tuesday night. The two teams are scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.

In the team's last game, Syracuse used a strong second-half effort to stymie in-state foe Cornell, 76-59. With the victory against Cornell, the Orange have won its last nine games against opponents from the state of New York.

Syracuse has won 68 consecutive non-conference home games, dating back to the 2006-07 season. The team's last loss to a non-conference opponent at home came against Canisius on Dec. 22, 2006, losing 56-43.

She's Back
After suffering an injury in the first round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament, junior guard Brittney Sykes missed the team's second-round matchup against Kentucky and the first 11 games of the 2014-15 season. Sykes returned to action on Dec. 28 against Cornell.

In her first game in more than eight months, Sykes was immediately inserted into the starting lineup against Cornell. She recorded two points and seven rebounds against the Big Red. Sykes finished third on the team in rebounding on the night.

Earlier this season, Sykes was one of 50 student-athletes named to the 2014-15 Naismith Trophy preseason watch list. The Naismith Trophy is presented annually to the top men's and women's collegiate players in the country. She was named to the Preseason All-ACC Team, as well. The Newark, N.J. native was one five players to earn All-ACC honors last year and to be named to the preseason team.

Scoring Threats Emerge
Last season, guards Brianna Butler and Sykes were the top-two scorers on the Syracuse women's basketball team. The pair accounted for 42 percent of the team's total offensive output during the 2013-14 season. Thus far this season, Butler ranks second on the team in scoring, while Sykes has only played in one game due to injury.

A trio of players has emerged for the Orange, two sophomores and one newcomer to the squad. Sophomore guard Alexis Peterson currently leads the team in scoring in her second season on campus. She has scored in double-figures in every game but two this season. Senior guard Diamond Henderson, a transfer from Tennessee Tech, has proven to be a very valuable asset off the bench, ranking third on the team in scoring. Sophomore center Briana Day is currently averaging a double-double and is fourth on the club in offense.

Series Breakdown
Tuesday night's game marks the second all-time meeting between Syracuse and Central Connecticut State. The two schools met for the first time on Dec. 29, 1987, with the Orange coming away with a 79-69 victory

B6JA_tmCEAAXfmm.jpg:large

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 40m40 minutes ago
CCSU wins the tip and we're underway here at the Carrier Dome between 'Cuse and Central Connecticut State

Orange applying the pressure on defense early.

Butler hits a three to open the scoring for Syracuse.

SU Women's Hoops @CuseWBB · 33m 33 minutes ago
Peterson gets in the lane and scores and CCSU takes a timeout. 11-2 'Cuse 4:50 into the game.
0 replies 0 retweets 1 favorite

Syracuse Athletics @Cuse · 35m 35 minutes ago
Under-16 TO: @CuseWBB leads CCSU 9-2 early on. Briana Day with 4 early points. 15:49 left in the half.

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 30m30 minutes ago
CCSU sinks a three to end an 8-0 run from the Orange. 13-5 'Cuse leads. 13:45 left in the 1st.

Syracuse Athletics‏@Cuse 27m27 minutes ago
Under-12 TO: @CuseWBB leading CCSU 15-8 with 11:50 to play in the half.

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 25m25 minutes ago
Peterson for three! She's got a game-high 7 early on and 'Cuse leads 18-8

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 23m23 minutes ago
Butler with a beautiful pass in transition to Briana Day gives the Orange a 20-8 lead at the midway point of the 1st half.

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 12m12 minutes ago
Fondren sinks a pair giving 'Cuse back a double-digit lead, but Nicole Ferguson drills another three for CCSU. 26-18 Orange. 4:12 til half

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 8m8 minutes ago
Briana Day - And 1. She's got 9 pts, 5 rebs and 2 blocks so far in the half.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 12m12 minutes ago
Butler with a beautiful pass in transition to Briana Day gives the Orange a 20-8 lead at the midway point of the 1st half.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 39s39 seconds ago
Fondren sinks a pair giving 'Cuse back a double-digit lead, but Nicole Ferguson drills another three for CCSU. 26-18 Orange. 4:12 til half

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 17m17 minutes ago
Briana Day now with 9 pts, 8 rebs and 7 blocks #TripleDoubleWatch

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 7m7 minutes ago
Henderson hits a pair of FTs, she now leads the Orange with 12 pts.

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 6m6 minutes ago
Henderson hits a triple, making it 15 for her. 58-34 Orange with 8:40 left.

B6JZpJkCcAEU4gS.jpg:large

Syracuse AthleticsVerified account ‏@Cuse 6m6 minutes ago
Under-8 TO: @CuseWBB owns a 20-point lead over CCSU (58-38). Henderson (15), B. Day (11) and Peterson (11) all in double figures for SU.

SU Women's Hoops‏@CuseWBB 3m3 minutes ago
Witherspoon swats one away to get in on the Orange block party. 'Cuse has swatted 13 shots today.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 24s24 seconds ago
Final media timeout: Syracuse leads, 68-38, with 3:52 left in regulation. #OrangeNation

Syracuse Athletics ‏@Cuse 11m11 minutes ago
Junior guard Brittney Sykes makes her return to the court for the
@CuseWBB team. #OrangeNation http://bit.ly/1vtL6OX

Back Where She Belongs: Sykes Returns

Junior guard Brittney Sykes makes return to the court
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – March 22, 2014 was a historic day for the Syracuse University women's basketball program. The squad won its first-ever NCAA Tournament game, defeating Chattanooga in the first round, 59-53. In its third try under head coach Quentin Hillsman, the Orange had finally broken through.

It was a memorable day for guard Brittney Sykes, as well. Sykes put together a 13-point, 12-rebound effort against the Mocs, good enough for her third double-double of her collegiate career.

With less than 13 minutes remaining in the first-round contest, the Newark, N.J. native drove to the basket and was subsequently injured on the play. She would sustain an injury to her anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in her right knee, forcing her to watch the rest of the NCAA Tournament from the sidelines.

Exactly 281 days later, Sykes was back in uniform for the Orange as the club took on in-state foe Cornell on Dec. 28 in the Carrier Dome. Her name was called as one of the five starters and she played in 18 minutes, recording two points and seven rebounds on the night. With that, Sykes was officially back.

"One word that sums it up is 'finally'," Sykes said upon her return. "It's been eight months away from your team, playing on the floor with them, preparing for games. It just feels good to get back and be with them on the court physically."

"I didn't get too emotional until the game actually started," added Sykes. "I was pretty mellow before the game because I didn't know how to feel. It was a feeling of a long time coming. I worked hard for eight months. My teammates helped me out, the coaching staff, the training staff. I knew all I had to do was trust myself.

The process had been a long one for not only Sykes, but Hillsman. The ninth-year head coach anxiously awaited the arrival of his leading returning scorer from the 2013-14 season.

"I didn't sleep last night," Hillsman commented after Sykes' first game of the 2014-15 season. "She's a very important part of our program. I thought she did a good job of managing herself. We are really looking forward to her getting back and get going."

Despite not playing one contest in the first 11 games of the season, Sykes has already received numerous accolades. She was named to the Preseason All-Atlantic Coast Conference Team and earned Naismith Trophy Watch List honors. That is the kind of player she is.

The squad did not miss a beat without Sykes, recording an 8-3 mark without the junior guard. Syracuse took both No. 1/2 South Carolina and No. 9/9 Baylor down to the wire on neutral courts. In addition, the team was ranked as high as No. 19 in the Associated Press Poll, its highest appearance in program history.

"That's what great teams do," commented Sykes. "They find a way to win when they are missing pieces. Me coming back, I am just trying to find the flow and let the game come to me. I am going to help my team anyway I can. If I am not scoring, I am rebounding. There's other ways you can help your team other than scoring."

Sykes was once again in the starting lineup on Tuesday night in the team's final non-conference game of the regular season against Central Connecticut State. She tallied five points, four rebounds, two assists, three steals, and a blocked shot against the Blue Devils as the team rolled to a 74-43 win.

A very dangerous team without its leading scorer from a year ago, the No. 21/22 Orange looks even stronger heading into Atlantic Coast Conference play with Sykes now in the rotation. Syracuse opens conference play on Sunday afternoon with a matchup against No. 4/4 Notre Dame. Tipoff is slated for 1 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. The game will be broadcast live on RSN, check with your local cable provider for listings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom