We are going to play Arkansas afterall | Syracusefan.com

We are going to play Arkansas afterall

Good.
Let's hope this is true and the end of this embarrassment.

I hope this comes with a 2013 exit date and mutual agreed compensation. This game should be the Big East's final parting shot.

BTW - I think a game and date was agreed with Missouri. The SEC likely offered A&M for the Pitt home game but asked Louisville to go to Arkansas.

I forget. Do they use 6-horse or 12-horse carriages to shuttle people from the airport there?

Actually a pretty nice airport which primarily serves Walmart vendors.

NW Arkansas surprised me and Fayetteville is a great college town.

Arkansas is a far nicer place than most people think.

Sure, it's hard to get to, and you probably wouldn't want to live there, but as a place to visit, you could do far worse.

Good.
Let's hope this is true and the end of this embarrassment.

I don't know who got embarrassed. Sounds like SU was left completely out of the loop on this. The Big East looks high-handed.

We'll see how the divorce proceedings work out as we go along. Gross may be laying the groundwork for a tougher stance. We have tried to be nice (Collegial) . Being nice appears to produce nothing. May be time for a change in strategy.

Northwest Arkansas is actually one of the fastest growing and wealthiest places in the country (thanks to walmart, tyson, and JB hunt)...30 years ago it wasnt much but fayetteville is a great town now, especially if you like the outdoors and ozarks. At least not the stereotype that people think of. Now little rock is ghetto and there are country parts of the state just like with every southern state but the UA has a lot of money. Can't compare it to somewhere like NYC though obviously

Northwest Arkansas is actually one of the fastest growing and wealthiest places in the country (thanks to walmart, tyson, and JB hunt)...30 years ago it wasnt much but fayetteville is a great town now, especially if you like the outdoors and ozarks. At least not the stereotype that people think of. Now little rock is ghetto and there are country parts of the state just like with every southern state but the UA has a lot of money. Can't compare it to somewhere like NYC though obviously

GoHogs, this conversation/argument is between SU and the Big East Leadership (aka Morons). It has absolutely nothing to do with the University of Arkansas.

As you can see from many of comments here, lots of SU fans are chomping at the bit to play this game. It's a quality opponent in a great facility early in the season. And we have taken a huge amount of criticism for not playing good OOC teams away from the friendly confines of the Carrier Dome. And this game might help address that. Although some doubt that the press will ever get off of this point of criticism.

I have been to Fayetteville and the UA campus in the past two years and I was blown away by both.

Most of us think this year's SU team will be pretty good. I'd advise you to get your tickets early. If played, this could be a very good game.

Walmart is one of the few corporations whose stock is up for the year, along with COSTCO and CVS.

Has anyone seen DG confirm the Big East's statement that we will play Arkansas and play them at the date and time scheduled? While I would like to see them and us figure things out so that we get this game, I must say that the Big East's statement standing alone smacks more of we don't care about whatever problem or conflict you think you have here is your game its up to you to figure out how to work around what we've scheduled you to do.

If that is the case, I hope DG continues to press the case and make us a fly in the Big East's ointment.

just wondering what is positive about this statement. Sounds as if the BE is taking Gross' challenge and saying 'Cuse will play in this game regardless of what else is going on. Seems more like this: If 'Cuse wants to negotiate an earlier out they got to play this game and do what the BE wants--by the way this doesnt say that negotiations will end positive for 'Cuse. Bottom line, sounds as if Gross was told to go back to campus and shut up.
"Big East officials confirm that whatever negotiating is going on with Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross and the Big East conference has nothing to do with the actual matchup of the Orange playing at Arkansas on Nov. 30 in the SEC-Big East Challenge. Big East associate commissioner Tom Odjakjian wouldn’t divulge what would be available to negotiate, but was adamant that the matchups are set."
Sounds as if 'Cuse and BE are adamant and I would not agree that this game is set in stone!

Arkansas is a far nicer place than most people think.

Sure, it's hard to get to, and you probably wouldn't want to live there, but as a place to visit, you could do far worse.

Last spring I went to a weekend retreat with my in-laws (insert joke here) somewhere near Eureka Springs and I concur. Fayetteville isn't very far from where I was. The Ozarks are just beautiful country that I didn't expect. West Memphis to Little Rock not so much.

If I regain my faith in legitimacy of collegiate athletics (O$U game really broke it) I would make this roadie. Plus we had them beat in 1995 when they were defending Nat'l Champ and eventual runner-up to UCLA so we need some payback. Moten was such a smart player except for that (and the 5-second call vs. PC in the 1994 BET)

I am glad SU will be playing this game. In another thread, I thought Gross hitting "Reply All" on his email to the Big East office was a mistake. Now I see why he intended to do that.

However, I'll be interested to see the rest of SU's non-conference schedule in late November and early December because I find Gross' excuse of being overcommitted questionable. Most of SU's non-conference games are your garden variety buy games and I don't think it's very difficult to rearrange them.

Last spring I went to a weekend retreat with my in-laws (insert joke here) somewhere near Eureka Springs and I concur. Fayetteville isn't very far from where I was. The Ozarks are just beautiful country that I didn't expect. West Memphis to Little Rock not so much.

If I regain my faith in legitimacy of collegiate athletics (O$U game really broke it) I would make this roadie. Plus we had them beat in 1995 when they were defending Nat'l Champ and eventual runner-up to UCLA so we need some payback. Moten was such a smart player except for that (and the 5-second call vs. PC in the 1994 BET)

Don't mean to hijack, but I love that you mentioned the five-second call. No one ever brings that up, but it was arguably a worse mental error. Moten was doing a deer-in-the-headlights about fifteen feet from Boeheim; if memory serves, Boeheim actually threw his glasses at Moten but failed to wake him from his trance.

Very excited for this game; love Mike Anderson's style of play and love the idea of playing at a real road venue. If we win our first 13 games again this year and extend the non-conference streak, we'll really have earned it.

Fayetteville, Ozarks, even some Hot Springs are all nice.

Little Rock is horrible.

yeah, i've spent a lot of time in the Ozarks in NW Arkansas by Table Rock Lake. really beautiful out there. haven't been to fayetteville yet though. (and yet sadly, spent some time in Branson - not by my own choosing). I hope this game happens - it'd be a good excuse to get back out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom